The PlayStation Classic relies on the open source PS1 emulator PCSX ReARMed to play its games

VTUZpMa.png

Classic and mini versions of retro game systems have become popular to release onto the market, including the recently announced PlayStation Classic. With a very basic UI, and the chosen lineup of 20 games, many fans were disappointed and claimed that Sony's attempt at a plug and play throwback console was low effort. Complaints only furthered when it was revealed that Sony wasn't creating or reusing their own PlayStation 1 emulator for the Classic, like they had done with the PSP's POPS emulator, or with the PSP emulator that was found within the PlayStation 4 remaster of Parappa, or the emulated PlayStation 2 classic titles on the PlayStation 4 as well. Instead, Sony has opted use an emulator made by the public: PCSX ReARMed. At an event showing off the upcoming hardware, previewers were able to try out the PlayStation Classic, and found a menu listing stating that it uses open-source software, including PCSX ReARMed.

:arrow: Source

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They gave proper credit, and i assume they will open source where required by the license, so I'm not mad about them using PCSX ReARMed. It's a nice emulator, and it's FAST, being able to run on a 400mhz single core Cortex A8 with ease, so they don't have to spend much on the hardware.

You'd think they would come up with a better UI though, considering they came up with the excellent XMB UI. It's acceptable, but it looks like some cheapo Chinese media/emulation box that someone spent about 20 minutes mocking up in Photoshop.

Also not too excited about the lineup. Personally I think it would be nice to have one of the Croc games on there, but I guess the franchise wasn't exactly one of the most popular.
That's not the problem though. It's just severely lacking in system sellers. It has like 3 or 4 of them tops. So many of the top franchises at the time aren't even included.
And honestly, FF9 needs to be on there.
Compare that to the SNES classic, every single one of those games are system sellers on their own, and all are among the best the system has to offer. They have had to make compromises, but in the cases where they had to choose one game from a franchise to represent that franchise, they chose the best representation. Good on Sony for picking FF7, it's probably the one FF game most people would want on there, but FF9 deserves to be represented as well. Maybe if this came out before the NES and SNES classic it wouldn't be so bad, but by now we are used to mini versions of consoles containing a selection of the best the system has to offer, and that makes the PS Classic feel like a ripoff by comparison.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Kioku

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The PS1 Classic's library is kinda crap. Only games I see on there that interest me is Jumping Flash (I remember playing this on a demo disk when I was a kid), Twisted Metal and Rayman. Not a whole lot of PS1 games i recall playing besides those though so I was already gonna skip this. I was planning on getting an original PS1 at some point. (I was mostly a Nintendo console owner when I was a kid anyways...except for Sega Genesis. I own a model 2 right now and got all the major Sonic games for it. :P )

This doesn't change my plans in that regard either. Much like the NES Classic, I'll skip the new crap and just play my retro games on original hardware. Perhaps they could look better over HDMI (perhaps more so with PS1 stuff), but I don't care about that. Want to play them on true 480i TVs and I own a couple. :P

I'm not gonna rebuy game roms that run on emulators when I can just get the original hardware and games as they were originally intended to be played. :D

Last edited by Apache Thunder,
D

Deleted User

Doesnt that make it even easier to hack and add more games since its using a open source emulator.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So much dumb in this thread...

So, not only did they steal every one of Nintendo's ideas up to this point, they wholesale stole open source work to make a commercial product.

Is it any wonder, that i have such an axe to grind with Sony when they continue to be financially successful in spite of doing such blatantly unethical shit like this?
You can't "steal" open source code because that's what it is: open source.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I think some people here forget not everyone may want to go the RPi, etc. route or want this for other reasons e.g. gift idea, collectors item, etc.

Although personally I am disappointed by the games line up and lack of DS controllers making it limited even when hacked.

Doesnt that make it even easier to hack and add more games since its using a open source emulator.

Not necessarily, there are ways to implement DRM on open source software, just look at Android.

Reactions: Deleted User

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh come on Sony. They already sold the PS1 games such often you would expect that they made a easy to port PS1 emulator with 100% game compatibility (100% of the games sold with Sonys permisson in the offical cases) finally. A potato can run PS1 games by now, it really dosn't needs that much optimization.
With the GBA Nintendo tested every freaking GB(C) game ever released with there permission. By hand. Just to ensure backwards compatibility with the previous system. Learn from that dedication Sony.

Reactions: Zense
D

Deleted User

are they going to release those ps1 usb controllers separately? I'd really like to buy one for like $10, the actual console itself is absolutely useless

really don't understand the appeal of any of these "classic" consoles that are just emulators

D

Deleted User

Couldn't the devs troll Sony by pulling open source status and making a copyright complaint?

Also personally, wouldn't buy something like this knowing it has community made emulator. Not only could I get the emulator for free and just buy the games I want and rip them. But there's no guarantee that a free community project will work as well as an official emulator which the company built and tested and deemed fit for market.

Having used an emulator which couldn't boot Megaman X3 in the past, I can't avoid feeling skeptical about the quality of this product.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Zense and THYPLEX

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone created this emulator and now its an open source. They can sue Sony for Sony's own profits. Sony is wrong! It is supposed to be free! Sue Sony!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, And you too :) +1