The most pretentious games you've ever played

rayword45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft for 5 minutes. That's first to mind. Possibly 999 but the last time I played it I was 13 and always sleepy (still am) so I'm considering giving VLR a shot in the summer.

Also, I consider COD overrated as shit and despise Angry Birds but I would never call them pretentious (although in the latter case, does having developers with enormous fucking egos count?)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not quite sure what definition of pretentious we are operating under here and the dictionary and the informal definitions do not quite match it seems.

Games I have played that you got the impression that the developers felt they were a work of outstanding quality with such an important message that their merely existing..... none at all actually though I will confess to letting "art games" pass me by.

Games that more or less mock that point of view.... I fear I would be here all week by which point I might just have started on the PS1.

If we are going with games that heavy handedly espouse a message, especially ones where the message is of possibly of dubious merit or in a contentious issue, then I am unsure; it seems symbolism flows right over my head until it reaches "National Treasure" levels and I want to chin something or I treat it as a satire.

If you just want a game that is bound to cause a near existential crisis then pick up "The Void".

Reactions: Wizerzak

UltraHurricane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to call you on that. Other than 4 which i've not played, where is Metal Gear pretentious? Yes the games use over-arching ideas and technical concepts, but i think you're misunderstanding the general definition of pretentiousness. Metal Gear is too well written and researched to fall into that trap.

i know that, it would probably be everyone else's default choice though, to be honest the only thing the MGS series is guilty of is being self-indulgent

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We used to like it and then it sold millions, it became too popular for us douches.

Well I never really liked it. I bought it at $25 or so a while ago and it was just really bad. Combined with the pretentious aura of Notch, I just really regretted purchasing it. Especially with Terraria at $10 and just being better.

Reactions: raulpica

UltraHurricane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried it myself, but I've got a feeling alien: colonial marines is one of those games :)
How about Duke Nukem Forever?
Maybe a few Kickstarter projects. There's alot of hype by the developer for games which usually just appear sorta "Meh" to the common person.

i wouldn't really call Duke Nukem Forever pretentious at all, it's way too crude and silly to be taken seriously by any means, that would be like calling Family Guy pretentious

Reactions: Elrinth

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I never really liked it. I bought it at $25 or so a while ago and it was just really bad. Combined with the pretentious aura of Notch, I just really regretted purchasing it. Especially with Terraria at $10 and just being better.
I could never get into Minecraft either, never bought it thankfully. Terraria all the way.

Reactions: raulpica

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I do not see Minecraft as pretentious. I like it myself, but I do see what others mean when they say it's over hyped and what not. But not pretentious.

But pretty much any (indie) game trying to be so fucking deep and dramatic, like some gothy goth kid... Unless they do live up (down?) to the deepness ofc. Like Sword & Sworcery, that game's ace! So is Bastion. and Terraria.

Reactions: Wizerzak

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
i wouldn't really call Duke Nukem Forever pretentious at all, it's way too crude and silly to be taken seriously by any means, that would be like calling Family Guy pretentious

I dunno, Family Guy is pretty heavy on the "I'm so totally popular and great, look how awesome I am" side. And let's not even start on how douchey Seth MacFarlane is! :P

Of course I'm digressing a bit by talking about a show. But leading up to its release, Duke Nukem Frever was certainly giving off all sorts of pretentious vibes that were comparable to Family Guy. Of course, that's just my opinion! And when all's said and done, one would do well not to take either too seriously. :P

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could never get into Minecraft either, never bought it thankfully. Terraria all the way.
Funny that. I bought Terraria in a Steam sale but so far have been unable to play it for more than five minutes without being overwhelmed by apathy. I found Minecraft infinitely more engaging. The only thing pretentious about it is it's creator whose sense of self-importance is bigger than a Minecraft game map.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Any and all of the Myst series.
The original Myst was just a pretty adventure, nothing pretentious, it was only after its huge success and so many fans lauding it as "zomg deepest gaem evar" that it got to the devs' heads and the sequel was kind of full of itself. And the latter games weren't even made by the original team.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7