The Meme Box

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but you could have used the wii for that too

yes we can make excuses for the wiiu and say we found uses for it after hacking it to hell, but for people who bought it as their primary gaming console 10 years ago it was pretty crap

poor first party support and abysmal third party support

I like nintendo, and I owned a wiiu, but it's hands down the worst console in the entire nintendo home lineup
I beg to differ on that the virtual boy exists and therefore it cannot be the worst. It's just mediocre and that's fine sucks people had high hopes for the supposed wii 2 and the wii u let them down. But it still works after 10 years while my wii disc drive died 4 years in. So I treat it like a half gen upgrade the ps pro of the wii gen.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beg to differ on that the virtual boy exists and therefore it cannot be the worst. It's just mediocre and that's fine sucks people had high hopes for the supposed wii 2 and the wii u let them down. But it still works after 10 years while my wii disc drive died 4 years in. So I treat it like a half gen upgrade the ps pro of the wii gen.

"but it's hands down the worst console in the entire nintendo home lineup"

I said home lineup. Virtual boy was a portable, used batteries, follow-up to Gameboy and made by the same man

But beyond those semantics - the wiiu being slightly newer and the disc drive not dying yet doesn't make it not bad - the wii was leaps and bounds above its oft derided successor

And there still is no compelling reason to own one

Stan4d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1693198707446.png

Post automatically merged:

1693198881952.png

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but you could have used the wii for that too
No HDMI makes is problematic nowadays ("Buy some mediocreWii2HDMI"). I still prefer the Wii for ease of use, brick resistance and fast boot times.

yes we can make excuses for the wiiu and say we found uses for it after hacking it to hell, but for people who bought it as their primary gaming console 10 years ago it was pretty crap
Same for the Wii. Wii was a very successful console. But other than the superb first party games the console suffered from a ton of really bad motion control shovelware (similar to shovelware problem on the PS1, PS2 and DS). What is better: Almost no third party games (Wii U) or 4000 useless third party games (Wii)? The effect is the same. At least for me.

Hacked the Wii (U) make perfect emulation machines.

poor first party support and abysmal third party support
Is this why all first party games have been ported to Switch? Because it was all garbage nobody cares for? Fully agreed for third party.

But beyond those semantics - the wiiu being slightly newer and the disc drive not dying yet doesn't make it not bad - the wii was leaps and bounds above its oft derided successor
Do we really care for dying drives? The bigger problem are the garbage NAND chips (and other hardware flaws rendering the console completely inoperable for no reason)

And there still is no compelling reason to own one
:unsure: Paradox: People believing there is no compelling reason is the compelling reason: Thanks to this widespread opinion I was able to get pretty much all interesting Wii U disc titles for next to nothing (legally!)
Buying a Switch and the same games would be at least an order of magnitude more money (low estimation)

==========
In the end the Wii U is/was a beta product with severe bugs. A great, unfinished idea, that should not have been released in that state.
But I never felt any regret for getting some Wii U consoles and top games on the used market. Buying full price? Nope.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
LoZ: TotK / Katamari Damacy mashup by Studson Studios on YouTube:

1693212815048.png

1693212856569.png

In his words, "Zelda TotK and Katamari Damacy have a lot in common. You play as a silent little green guy who is tasked with saving the world, and to do so he has to stick a bunch of stuff to a bunch of other stuff."

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No HDMI makes is problematic nowadays ("Buy some mediocreWii2HDMI"). I still prefer the Wii for ease of use, brick resistance and fast boot times.

Same for the Wii. Wii was a very successful console. But other than the superb first party games the console suffered from a ton of really bad motion control shovelware (similar to shovelware problem on the PS1, PS2 and DS). What is better: Almost no third party games (Wii U) or 4000 useless third party games (Wii)? The effect is the same. At least for me.

Hacked the Wii (U) make perfect emulation machines.

Is this why all first party games have been ported to Switch? Because it was all garbage nobody cares for? Fully agreed for third party.

Do we really care for dying drives? The bigger problem are the garbage NAND chips (and other hardware flaws rendering the console completely inoperable for no reason)

:unsure: Paradox: People believing there is no compelling reason is the compelling reason: Thanks to this widespread opinion I was able to get pretty much all interesting Wii U disc titles for next to nothing (legally!)
Buying a Switch and the same games would be at least an order of magnitude more money (low estimation)

==========
In the end the Wii U is/was a beta product with severe bugs. A great, unfinished idea, that should not have been released in that state.
But I never felt any regret for getting some Wii U consoles and top games on the used market. Buying full price? Nope.

"Is this why all first party games have been ported to Switch? Because it was all garbage nobody cares for? Fully agreed for third party."

Never said the wiiu didn't have first party support, just that it was poor. No new mainline 3D Mario title, Zelda mainline only came after switch launch (end of console life), no new animal crossing - smash and MK were good, but the first party support on the switch is leaps and bounds beyond wiiu

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No new mainline 3D Mario title, Zelda mainline only came after switch launch (end of console life), no new animal crossing - smash and MK were good, but the first party support on the switch is leaps and bounds beyond wiiu
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Zelda Musou
NSBMU

Even if those were the only games on the Wii U, I'd still buy a Wii U back then, full price.

People who buy Nintendo consoles don't really care about third party support, it comes as a bonus.
They do it for first party games, and Wii U definitely had it.

Zero regrets here over buying one, though it's a pity its main gimmick was so underwhelming and not utilized much by games.

Reactions: impeeza

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Zelda Musou
NSBMU

Even if those were the only games on the Wii U, I'd still buy a Wii U back then, full price.

People who buy Nintendo consoles don't really care about third party support, it comes as a bonus.
They do it for first party games, and Wii U definitely had it.

Zero regrets here over buying one, though it's a pity its main gimmick was so underwhelming and not utilized much by games.
Mainline 3D Mario title eg Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey

Wiiu is the only 3D Nintendo console to lack one entirely

And Hyrule Warriors is cool, but hardly a mainline Zelda game

I enjoyed my wiiu, but was really disappointed at the time with the lack of first party titles I had come to expect from Nintendo - the animal crossing boardgame was such a disappointment for someone who just wanted a successor to city folk

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never said the wiiu didn't have first party support, just that it was poor. No new mainline 3D Mario title, Zelda mainline only came after switch launch (end of console life), no new animal crossing - smash and MK were good, but the first party support on the switch is leaps and bounds beyond wiiu
Yeah, they gave up and rushed to another console release when acknowledging the commercial failure. Forgotten stepchild.
Missing Zelda game is indeed bad. I didn't even play or buy empty wasteland simulator after borrowing it from public library and trying for two weeks.

Maybe I'm just too old now for the new stuff. At some point one has to stop. Reaction times getting worse, harder to memorize boss patterns and gain new muscle memory…

[Not intended to be a meme or funny picture, but a gaming reference. This comes to my mind increasingly often.]
Julius.jpg

"Growing old is a horrible thing." Said the 56 year old man after making the air around himself glow like plasma in a cross shape destroying a powerful barrier all by himself in seconds… just because he is exhausted.
How must he have been in his 20s?

Wii U holds a special place in my heart as the last console I'll ever get (3DS family last handheld system). As emulation machines Wii, Wii U and New 3DS perform excellent → Pretty much all previous Nintendo stuff in one. With the prices for used games (pre-pandemic) Wii U was a great deal.

Reactions: x65943

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bluetooth isn't a huge selling point, it hardly works in the first place.
unless you're some hardcore rhythm game player...in which case streaming is extra bad to begin with...bluetooth works just fine unless you by the stuff from under the bargin bin

Reactions: AlexMCS and impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @SylverReZ If only that was me at your washing machine.