The Lord of the Rings: Gollum is coming May 25 after several years of delays

It's been a long journey for The Lord of the Rings: Gollum to get released, but it looks like it may finally be at an end. Originally announced in March 2019 and slated for a 2021 release, it was then shifted to a September 2022 launch date, before being indefinitely delayed yet again in July of last year. Yesterday, a new story trailer dropped, announcing the newest release date of May 25, 2023. This is the shortest window between the announcement of a release date and the expected release yet, so hopefully we can have a bit more confidence in this date.

Coming from Daedalic Entertainment, developer of the Deponia franchise, The Lord of the Rings: Gollum is an action RPG that will follow Gollum in an all-new story. There will also be a morality system in play, with player choices deciding whether Gollum or Sméagol, his kinder side, is the more dominant presence. If your decisions favour one side more than the other, it may be harder to let that other side out when you need it.

A fuller gameplay showcase was released around the same time as the story trailer, which you can see below.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will release May 25 for PC (via Steam and Epic Games Store), PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. A Nintendo Switch version is expected sometime later in 2023.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interested! Feel like I go back finish the Two Towers and Retrurn of the King. I also been playing Lego The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So Mirrors Edge - LoTR edition?

I feel like it could be a good narrative game much like something from Telltale, however I don't see the game play offering anything special.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
still dont get why they didnt use the gollum design from the movie and went with this that looks way worse imo.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmmm, this doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be, not sure if I want to play the game tho...

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
Looks to me like another of those games with too high ambitions for the project budget and which will be killed by management deadlines.
Either it will come to market half done and walk the walk of shame for several months while development continues, or a huge flop right from the start and there is no more time and money invested in making it good (compare to: Agony).
A shame really, because the idea, setting, everything screams innovation and possibilities...but games are not about art, or fun, or perfected gameplay anymore, they are about making money, nothing else.

tl;dr: from what I see in the trailer I expect it to fail hard, sell 'meh' only because of fake reviews and then be quickly forgotten.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol