Action-adventure game The Lord of the Rings: Gollum slated for 2021 release

Lord-of-the-rings-logo.png

Daedalic Entertainment, developer of series like Deponia, The Dark Eye, and more, will be working on a new The Lord of the Rings game. This will be the first entry in a planned series of games set in the Lord of the Rings universe, through a partnership with Daedalic and Middle-earth Enterprises. Titled The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, it'll be an action-adventure game which focuses on the titular character after they've acquired the One Ring, but prior to the events of the Tolkien novels. The release window is still a ways off, with the game scheduled for a 2021 release, "on all relevant platforms at that time".

“Our goal was to present a storytelling experience. About four years ago, I caught Middle-earth Enterprises in Berkeley, maybe like Peter Jackson did 20 years ago, and I said we’re interested in licensing Lord of the Rings,” Fichtelmann says of the formation of the partnership. "After some negotiations, it was clear that the Tolkien estate looked for a company that was capable of doing something which is more story-orientated than some of the other products that came out over the last years."

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They actually have Lord of the Rings in the title for this one?

That said I am not sure how this would wind up an "action adventure" game. Combo of stealth, puzzle, mindfuck (see games with a sanity meter), light platforming, maybe some very light combat...

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I can see this being a thing. Imagine playing as the Hobbit Smeagol, maybe using a staff or a dagger as a weapon, and as the story progresses you turn more and more into Gollum.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange to have a life and times of Smeagol game, and then call it Gollum

Since this takes place before the novels I am guessing this is going to focus a lot more on his riverfolk days - prior to actual transformation into Gollum

Reactions: d4mation

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All relevant platforms....I don't know how to feel about that statment
At first it seemed like a dig against the switch, but I'm pretty sure what they are hinting at is the fact that the PS5 and XBTWO may be out by then

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first it seemed like a dig against the switch, but I'm pretty sure what they are hinting at is the fact that the PS5 and XBTWO may be out by then
Listen, I have never cared for xbox as a whole but they can shove that dam vcr even further up there ass if they think do end up thinking xbox 2 is a good name with where the console would fall in there line.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And here I was thinking they meant Stadia exclusive because everything else will be irrelevant. /s

But in all seriousness, the landscape is changing, so it's good to be open to whatever new platforms are emerging over the next couple years. Whether that includes more traditional consoles or one (or several?) streaming services, that all depends on how successful these upcoming ventures are.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Considering my past experiences with LOTR games, I’ll have forgotten this by the time I navigate away from this page :ha:
Do they do that poorly for you? Between the various GBA efforts, PS2 action efforts, possibly that Final Fantasy 10 clone, Lord Of The Rings: War in the North (one of the last decent local co-op dungeon crawlers I have played) and at least the first Mordor game I have done pretty well out of Lord of the Rings, especially considering I don't really care about the films nor the books and lore.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do they do that poorly for you? Between the various GBA efforts, PS2 action efforts, possibly that Final Fantasy 10 clone, Lord Of The Rings: War in the North (one of the last decent local co-op dungeon crawlers I have played) and at least the first Mordor game I have done pretty well out of Lord of the Rings, especially considering I don't really care about the films nor the books and lore.

To be honest I played a some stinkers back in the day, can't actually remember what ones, that's a loooooong time ago. Then I just body swerved the rest.
Normally I'm all for second chances, but LOTR had more than a couple of chances with me, didn't like them, so didn't bother even looking into any more. Terribe way to do things, but with hundreds of other games to get through I just wasn't wasting my time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte