Hacking The Lonely DSi

dsjunkieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i own a carbon and black or whatever dslite with a cyclo and numerous memory cards, but naturally, as soon as the DSi was announced for the US i pre-ordered that sleek little picture editor.

unfortunately i have not yet gotten the will to get a flashcart for it and still have not used the free 1000 ds points duwe to its need for system update. what im wondering is if the flashcart industry has really come up with a staple so my DSi wont be so lonely and unused. i mean, i dont want to have to replace some EZi or AK2i a month after i buy it.

any thoughts anyone?

wireles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dsjunkieman said:
so i own a carbon and black or whatever dslite with a cyclo and numerous memory cards, but naturally, as soon as the DSi was announced for the US i pre-ordered that sleek little picture editor.

unfortunately i have not yet gotten the will to get a flashcart for it and still have not used the free 1000 ds points duwe to its need for system update. what im wondering is if the flashcart industry has really come up with a staple so my DSi wont be so lonely and unused. i mean, i dont want to have to replace some EZi or AK2i a month after i buy it.

any thoughts anyone?

the best cards, cost about 20dollars (withouth memory & depending on what site you buy it from) , so if it gets blocked, its not a big deal, why should you wait...

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Just wait..this/next months at least two new Flashcards for the DSi will come (M3Reali, iTouch2). There will come more for shure...

Also we don't know much things...like if they could play DSi-Games. Or if Nintendo will Shutdown them...Do it like I do..wait and relax...give your DSi a break, before he'll be used like hell
wink.gif

B

ball2012003

QUOTE(r3dt@rget @ Apr 23 2009, 01:58 PM) Seriously what is $20? Why wait for a new card?
exactly what i said to myself
once a new card comes out i'll get that one too
specifically the cyclo dsi

dsjunkieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm sounds good...ya i think ill just hit up the acekard 2i or something for $15 +free shipping on deal extreme. cause ya seriously what is 20 bucks.

im just hoping that nintendo doesnt develop a way to flag players who use flashcarts or something.

then whenever team cyclops pumps one out ill make the change.

thanks for the input guys

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think this question would require a new thread, and it seems fitting for this one, so:

Can anyone explain to me why or how a firmware update would block the DSi carts? I mean, they specifically use a DS/DSL "exploit" to function only in DS/DSL-cart mode (that is, the flashcart funcitons as a DS/DSL-cart)...so, if Big-N used an update to block the DS/DSL-functioning-flashcart, then they'd possibly end DS/DSL-cart usage in general...right?

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
manobon said:
I didn't think this question would require a new thread, and it seems fitting for this one, so:

Can anyone explain to me why or how a firmware update would block the DSi carts? I mean, they specifically use a DS/DSL "exploit" to function only in DS/DSL-cart mode (that is, the flashcart funcitons as a DS/DSL-cart)...so, if Big-N used an update to block the DS/DSL-functioning-flashcart, then they'd possibly end DS/DSL-cart usage in general...right?

My understanding of it is that the current flash carts copy parts of a real cartridge's save file, which is read first by the DSi and passes the security. One rather simply way that nintendo could check if the cartridge was a flash cart or not is by doing a more in-depth scan, looking into the entire save file and perhaps parts of the cartridge. If it found suspicious files, it won't boot. Nintendo could also implement some new type of security in their future cartridges, which have to be present or the DSi won't run it. Then, old games would work but the newer games would not. Finally, we all know that Nintendo repeatedly upped security on the games themselves (when pokemon released, zelda, etc). These were usually fixed quickly by the M3/Cyclo/R4/whatever team, and we updated our carts. However, if nintendo is able to also change the firmware directly on the DSi, the methods of blocking us have expanded (probably by a lot).

These are just a few of the possible ways that Ninty could block us without actually blocking their own games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids +2