The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD leaked prior to release, port uses partial emulation tech

89ae0520-db4d-11eb-be75-e3386aa48ab1.jpg

For those that sail the high seas, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD has leaked onto the internet and is available to be played via emulation or on hacked Nintendo Switch systems, before the game's actual release date, set for July 16th. As usual, interested parties have been poking around in the game's files to find out any interesting tidbits about the port. Twitter user Oatmeal Dome has already uncovered some details about Skyward Sword, such as the fact that despite being recompiled for the Switch, the game emulates some elements straight from the Wii version, which makes sense, as this is what Nintendo did with Super Mario Galaxy's port in Super Mario 3D All Stars. However, this is not the same emulator used for Galaxy. Oatmeal Dome mentioned that a quick look at the files shows that the HD version emulates the Texture Environment Unit of the Wii, and that there are BRRES format files, which were used on the Wii as well.

Please remember that sharing illegal files, or "warez" is against GBAtemp's TOS.

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not going to call it a "Lazy port" just a "why port THIS" as out of every LoZ game out there, they picked this one to do a "Remaster" of and given from what i've seen of people's pictures in the thread its not even a particularly good looking remaster, its just "meh."

Reactions: Kameryn

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A leak won’t reveal anything that the official release will…just sooner. Are we that impatient a society that we can’t wait a couple of days?
If you’re convinced you’ll like the game…pre-order it or Day 1 buy it.
If you’re on the fence…be patient. All your questions will be answered in time.
Seemingly yes, and for many things with notable effects on results.
See also what the community and press makes when companies don't put review copies of films/TV/games out there, and the general drop off in sales if something is leaked in some manner ahead of time such that some of those that normally would buy it sight unseen might be convinced to wait a while.

I am not sure that is necessarily a bad thing either, though I generally encourage everybody to buy nothing until its worth has been demonstrated and certainly don't preorder (15 years from now it might be hard to find in physical form, for the next 3-4 it will be no problem at all).

To those who leak games, fuck off
You might be on the wrong site if that is how you roll.

Reactions: CanIHazWarez

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
The right stick just acts as the pointer in every circumstance when you have to point at something, so you just move the right stick to draw.

Yes but Dolphin it was a pain to draw 10 years ago using a controller. Everything else was good from what I remembered.

Kameryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i'm not going to call it a "Lazy port" just a "why port THIS" as out of every LoZ game out there, they picked this one to do a "Remaster" of and given from what i've seen of people's pictures in the thread its not even a particularly good looking remaster, its just "meh."

100% agreed.

But I'd be pretty Aok with the looks if it felt better to play, they had an amazing opportunity to bring in the advancements from the Breath of the Wild (controls/mechanics).... but they didn't. Going from BOTW to this feels... yucky lol.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No new things, only small improvements like pickup messages don't repeat themselves on restart, no endless fii messages and so on. Oh and the amiibo to warp back to the sky that everyone makes a big deal out of, no clue why because there was never really any trouble or tediousness about traveling back...
No worthy of purchase for those who got it when it was new.
Thanks, my sexy.

Kameryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
100% agreed.

But I'd be pretty Aok with the looks if it felt better to play, they had an amazing opportunity to bring in the advancements from the Breath of the Wild (controls/mechanics).... but they didn't. Going from BOTW to this feels... yucky lol.

OH WAIT..... I retract my previous comment!

Just tried it in handheld mode and I am very impressed, it's really nice!
It looks really good on the smaller screen, and sans motion controls are good!
I could definitely play through it again this way.

(PS. I purchased the special edition for Wii back in the day, it came with the golden wiimote plus and didn't have any issues like other people stated (maybe this special wiimote was better than others?) --- Instead I thoroughly enjoyed it/was and still am very pleased with it. But for some reason I find the new motion controls on the switch clumsy *shrugs) --- Maybe I need to purchase the special edition joycons to get the full experience? LOL

the-full-kit.large.jpg

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoooooo!! Now I can play it on Switch. Never liked Wii U and Wii remote plus at all. Awesome! It requires firmware 11.0.0 too. Perfect!

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH WAIT..... I retract my previous comment!

Just tried it in handheld mode and I am very impressed, it's really nice!
It looks really good on the smaller screen, and sans motion controls are good!
I could definitely play through it again this way.

(PS. I purchased the special edition for Wii back in the day, it came with the golden wiimote plus and didn't have any issues like other people stated (maybe this special wiimote was better than others?) --- Instead I thoroughly enjoyed it/was and still am very pleased with it. But for some reason I find the new motion controls on the switch clumsy *shrugs) --- Maybe I need to purchase the special edition joycons to get the full experience? LOL

the-full-kit.large.jpg

Well I do notice that is a "Wii Motion Plus" Wii-mote, so yeah....it IS better than a standard one XD.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Essentially, b/c its the only 3D gen Zelda home console game that hadn't had a remaster yet:

OoT: 3DS
MM: 3DS
WW: WiiU
TwP: WiiU

But that said I'd love to see Zelda/Zelda II/Link to the Past remakes just like they did for Link's Awakening.

Last edited by Benja81,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And is this what nintendont meant by better support, more old titles ported from older consoles.

Fuck me, for the fanboys out there, we can already play/emulate all these old games and not have to invest in a new console.

But this game isn't worth shit, its controls are a fucking nightmare, shit job at porting/emulating, the lack of camera control, having to hold a button to turn camera, proof that nintendo cant innovate for shit.

Strange how you can emulate dolphin and map camera to a stick, yet switch you cant.

Never really played it on the wii, but did on wii u, but got bored and never completed.

I know i wont even bother with the switch version unless the camera gets supported by the right stick and not a fucking button and then right stick.

Yet again, another shit lazy port, id rather stick to playing it on the console i already own.

But nintendont fans are such loyal folks arent they, theyre supporting a company that cant even be arsed anymore, they stopped caring about making next gen consoles, just slap cheap shit with gimmicks so the fans buy into it.

Lack the new games to play.

And sorry i couldnt give two fucks if the switch is portable, its littered with old crap i can run off my devices and on the move without the switch, and if its lucky to get a new title, its massively dumbed down.

This game wasnt that bad but the switch version is a shit version due to shit controls.

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was supposed to be part of a 3 pack and it got released by itself just because they knew the link to botw2 would make it irresistible for most
It's... Concerning to see that the quality didn't change during development, but it's not surprising given the current state of Nintendo.

Honestly, even knowing the game is painfully boring, I would buy it if it was like 20 bucks, maybe 30...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lack the new games to play.

It's intentional.
This way people will desperately buy any crap they put out, even if it has only 10% of the content previous games had.
It's why they killed off smaller IPs and are focusing only on the big ones.

The only thing the switch had going for it was having portable versions of (mostly old) console games, but now steam boy is going to do it way better...
I wonder if they'll straighten up their act

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I still don't get people calling this hybrid emulation stuff of using emulation just for the gpu lazy. it makes sense if they really wanted it to look faithful to the original and it honestly seems like it would actually be more work to do this hyrbid method then full emulation or full naitive
But people don't want it to look faithful to the original, they want it to look modern and this is just as lazy as Twilight Princess "HD" was. Since BotW and Skyward Sword have rather similar art styles I was hoping they would use parts of the BotW engine for the graphics because Skyward Sword redone in the BotW engine would look gorgeous. I was hoping for another Wind Waker HD, not another Twilight Princess "HD". But this hardly even seems like an improvement over the original. They lost a sale from me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the...