Hardware The Game Boy pocket has the largest pixels of any gameboy.

Heere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to play original Game Boy games on native pixels with the largest pixels possible.
(largest native screen size)

From what I hear the Game Boy pocket has the largest screen for this.

Can anyone confirm?

chriso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.thepsphq.com
XP
Country
United States
From what I remember from my childhood, the pocket had the best display and largest of all Gameboy screens. I did some research and found that the Color displayed the most pixels on screen but had a smaller screen than the pocket with the original displaying the lowest pixelation and smallest screen.

Hope that helps.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, and Game Boy Color all had the same resolution of 160x144 pixels. The difference then would be the size of the pixels themselves.

You could also look into running Lameboy on a DS or DSi (no clue if the DSi XL is homebrew capable yet or not) since Lameboy has an upscaling function that looks pretty nice.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If what DanTheManMS says is true then you'll want to get the one with the largest screen.

Game Boy: 2.6 inches diagonal
Game Boy Pocket: 2.6 inches
Game Boy Color: ~2.2 inches
Game Boy Advance: 2.9 inches
Game Boy Micro: 2 inches

I can't seem to find dimensions of the Game Boy Light or Game Boy Advance SP's screen.

It would seem that the original and the Pocket have the same and largest dimensions and therefore would have the largest pixels.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So it wasn't my impression that GB games on the GBA or even on the DS (via emulation ) look ridiculously small, way smaller then on the original hardware.
I even tried lameboy on the XL ( and yes, it works fine ), and I do get a bigger picture obviously, but still it looked bigger on the original GB and even better on the GB poket ( i remember the poket had a better screen, like it was more clear and with better response time. ).
I just can't stand any upscaling on lameboy or any emulator, unless is like 2x or 3x and so on.
Partial streaching sucks and ruins the aspect ratio and flickers to much.

thaddius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Genowing said:
Well the Biggest size is useing the Gameboy player on with the GameCube
Well while we're talking about the Gameboy Player we should mention the Super Gameboy and Super Gameboy 2 as well. Unless you're using a sub-2inch tv, of course.
tongue.gif

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
impizkit said:
Upscaling always looks bad unless its a small upscale.

Personally I think Lameboy does a pretty good job of it. I'd rather play upscaled on the DS than pixel perfect on an actual GB. Todays screens are so much better than those of the GB in every other aspect
smile.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coulda sworn I replied to this again, but...

You can't really use the screen dimensions for the GBA and GBA SP since that only applies for GBA games. When in GB mode it uses only the original GB resolution and puts black bars on the sides, so the measurement you'd be looking for would be the size of the usable screen when in that mode. Granted you can use the L and R buttons to scale the screen to the GBA's width, but I always thought that looked pretty bad.

The GB Micro is out of the running entirely since it can only run GBA games, unless you want to emulate the GB/C games with Goomba (but you'd still have the black bars on the sides).

thaddius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DanTheManMS said:
You can't really use the screen dimensions for the GBA and GBA SP since that only applies for GBA games. [...] The GB Micro is out of the running entirely since it can only run GBA games, [...]
Yeah, I know. While I was looking for 'game boy screen dimensions' on google I kept getting the GBA dimensions and I added them to my list anyway. When I finally got most of the dimensions I figured I'd just leave them there.

Didn't mean to confuse anyone...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will...