The first Star Wars game for the Nintendo Switch will be Star Wars Pinball, launches Sept

Before we get to see this weekend's big Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order game reveal, we've been treated to the announcement of a side game: Star Wars Pinball, for the Nintendo Switch. You'll get to play pinball on 19 different tables, all inspired by different movies and characters throughout the franchise. The Nintendo Switch version will boast exclusive features, such as the ability to play vertically, a campaign mode full of challenging missions, and a physical release, the first for any Zen Pinball game. Star Wars Pinball will make its way to the galaxy of Nintendo Switch on September 13th.

NINTENDO SWITCH EXCLUSIVE FEATURES AND MODES In addition to HD Rumble and vertical play, Star Wars Pinball boasts several features and modes exclusive to Nintendo Switch as a standalone product:
• Galactic Struggle: Every Star Wars Pinball player in the galaxy will choose to follow the light or dark side in a perpetual online digital tug-of-war between the forces of good and evil. What is your destiny?
• Career Mode: Designed with short on-the-go gameplay sessions in mind, this mode challenges you to complete very specific pinball-based missions across all 19 tables. Choose the path of the Jedi or the Sith as progress through 50 career ranks. Some missions involve mastering awesome Star Wars-themed minigames that might be difficult for some players to access through regular play, such as piloting an X-wing or TIE fighter or fighting Darth Vader in a lightsaber duel.
• Force Powers and Talents: Collect Holocron Shards during missions to unlock Force Powers and Talents that yield special in-game bonuses when activated, such as multipliers, slowing down time and more.
• Cantina Jukebox: Collect the greatest tunes in the galaxy as you play each table. Once you’ve heard a song, you can listen to it any time you like. As with past Zen Studios pinball releases, players can challenge anyone in the galaxy through Galactic Tournaments, League Play and, of course, old-fashioned high scores achieved through Single Player mode.

Reactions: fst312 and Xzi
D

Deleted User

They were not always bleeding edge but they frequently pushed it, and if nothing else have provided some seriously solid games that it could be said to be a shame to have missed out on.

Notable games I would pick out.

The xwing vs tie fighter series is generally regarded as one of the better space combat sims ever.

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series started out as an above average Doom clone (for technical feats it was among the first to do the looking up and down bit) and then morphed nicely into force powers in engines of the day.

SNES star wars is not my thing but you will find it on many lists.

Ditto Lego Star Wars, indeed while it might not have defined the gameplay concept as far as Lego goes it certain pushed it high.

You mentioned rogue squadron already.

While its memory has faded I will throw in Bounty Hunter. Same for pod racer on the N64 -- not my favourite game but you will get many throwing in.

If I am doing things for which memories have faded then Star Wars Chess. It was mainly chess with a star wars skin but it was actually a really solid version of chess (granted chessmaster was fairly solid so no worries there).

Knights of the Old Republic will definitely appear in "Bioware at their prime" lists, though the ports of 2 might have been a sign of things to come (if you do end up playing check the various "restoration" mods out there).

EA's hosing up of Star Wars Battlefront in recent years was not just people taking an excuse to be mad at EA or fanboying over Star Wars or battlefield (which it is essentially it was the Star Wars themed spin off from). The originals however did represent something of note in the multiplayer shooter arena, as did later entries in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise.

The Star Wars The Old Republic MMO was brought low by the whole Jedi thing, and a few other bonehead choices, but it probably had the most chance of anything of dethroning world of warcraft in its prime by what it did right. Also another entry in Bioware's fall from grace.

I mentioned Force Unleashed already and while it was somewhat short of the hype I ultimately enjoyed it quite a bit. I could pick higher points but as a "last good one" then that works for me, give or take whatever predictable lego efforts might have come out after the fact.

They will likely have aged terribly but some of the PS1 efforts (this would be sequel trilogy era) did quite nicely far film cash ins go. Arguably laid the path for what the PS2 Lord of the Rings titles (not the Final Fantasy clone) would end up becoming.

I frequently have massive issues with what this guy has to say but here he aligns more with what I might have to say.

I too am a bit too young to have appreciated Star Wars the first time around, mainly saw them because they were on TV once or twice but never thought much of them, and by the time the sequels hit then it was just another bad sci fi film. Games though. They represented something more for me. I don't know if the world at large would have lost out for lacking them (xwing-tie fighter aside) but my gaming history at least would have been less rich for it.

You forgot Republic Commando and Empire at War. Jedi Star Fighter, and Episode 3 on Xbox and GBA were also pretty good.

Star Wars was one of my favorite gaming franchises till after Force Unleashed.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Meh.

Unless you are a Pinball fanatic, more than one pinball game by console is ridiculous.

And I honesty prefer a game that includes several pinball tables to this.

But.... This has 19 tables?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This. Especially the latter. Why are these not incorporated into the already existing Pinball FX3 on Switch like they are on PC, PS3, PS4 and XB1? Also, Switch does not have a single one of the many, many Marvel tables. If they come later on I assume they will be another stand-alone like this one is, instead of properly integrated into FX3 like the other platforms. Having all 70 (give or take, I lost count) tables from the same studio in one convenient pinball game is just so logical. Why? Why handle things like this for the Switch version? Unless you're a pinball fanatic as stated... I'd just grab FX3 for one of the other systems over this since everything is in one nice package.

It seems like licensing issues has prevented them from putting the tables to FX3. Seems like this is the only compromise they could come up with. Which is decent honestly. Every star wars table in one package. I assume a Marvel all in one will be coming soon too.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They were not always bleeding edge but they frequently pushed it, and if nothing else have provided some seriously solid games that it could be said to be a shame to have missed out on.

Notable games I would pick out.

The xwing vs tie fighter series is generally regarded as one of the better space combat sims ever.

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series started out as an above average Doom clone (for technical feats it was among the first to do the looking up and down bit) and then morphed nicely into force powers in engines of the day.

SNES star wars is not my thing but you will find it on many lists.

Ditto Lego Star Wars, indeed while it might not have defined the gameplay concept as far as Lego goes it certain pushed it high.

You mentioned rogue squadron already.

While its memory has faded I will throw in Bounty Hunter. Same for pod racer on the N64 -- not my favourite game but you will get many throwing in.

If I am doing things for which memories have faded then Star Wars Chess. It was mainly chess with a star wars skin but it was actually a really solid version of chess (granted chessmaster was fairly solid so no worries there).

Knights of the Old Republic will definitely appear in "Bioware at their prime" lists, though the ports of 2 might have been a sign of things to come (if you do end up playing check the various "restoration" mods out there).

EA's hosing up of Star Wars Battlefront in recent years was not just people taking an excuse to be mad at EA or fanboying over Star Wars or battlefield (which it is essentially it was the Star Wars themed spin off from). The originals however did represent something of note in the multiplayer shooter arena, as did later entries in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise.

The Star Wars The Old Republic MMO was brought low by the whole Jedi thing, and a few other bonehead choices, but it probably had the most chance of anything of dethroning world of warcraft in its prime by what it did right. Also another entry in Bioware's fall from grace.

I mentioned Force Unleashed already and while it was somewhat short of the hype I ultimately enjoyed it quite a bit. I could pick higher points but as a "last good one" then that works for me, give or take whatever predictable lego efforts might have come out after the fact.

They will likely have aged terribly but some of the PS1 efforts (this would be sequel trilogy era) did quite nicely far film cash ins go. Arguably laid the path for what the PS2 Lord of the Rings titles (not the Final Fantasy clone) would end up becoming.

I frequently have massive issues with what this guy has to say but here he aligns more with what I might have to say.

I too am a bit too young to have appreciated Star Wars the first time around, mainly saw them because they were on TV once or twice but never thought much of them, and by the time the sequels hit then it was just another bad sci fi film. Games though. They represented something more for me. I don't know if the world at large would have lost out for lacking them (xwing-tie fighter aside) but my gaming history at least would have been less rich for it.

yes there are some decent star wars games but like i said they were rarely defiant of the console, besides robably n64 and xbox, if you ever saw a top xx games of said console will rarely have any star wars games on it, maybe gc aswhell altought i doubt it.

but yeah
rogue squadron trilogy
2 knights of the old republic

while there are some decent ones this ones imo were the only noteworthy ones that might resist the test of time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You forgot Republic Commando and Empire at War. Jedi Star Fighter, and Episode 3 on Xbox and GBA were also pretty good.

Star Wars was one of my favorite gaming franchises till after Force Unleashed.
Don't know if I ever played those but I was not intending to be all that thorough in that.

yes there are some decent star wars games but like i said they were rarely defiant of the console, besides robably n64 and xbox, if you ever saw a top xx games of said console will rarely have any star wars games on it, maybe gc aswhell altought i doubt it.

but yeah
rogue squadron trilogy
2 knights of the old republic

while there are some decent ones this ones imo were the only noteworthy ones that might resist the test of time.
Absolutely definitive? No. Several did advance the state of play though, or at least represented if not polished in the strictest sense then tight games/systems to explore, and I thoroughly enjoyed several as games -- Star Wars in my head is filed under "interesting cultural phenomenon" to the point that while at this point I can't give you an overview of the original three films (I will get most of the plot points but in order for each film, or indeed splitting things into separate films... not a chance) I would do far better for a lot of the games. Top ?? titles... actually I would expect to see several, especially if it is top "action adventure" or "action platformer".
If back when LucasArts had come out like all those devs/engine makers did on the Wii and Wii U and said "we are giving it a miss" I would have noted it similar to Unreal saying "nah" in terms of hit it would take to the library, today though with it being over a decade since the last thing I particularly could get to caring about. The lack of potency of the star wars franchise name in the modern gaming world was the original thing I was contemplating.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like licensing issues has prevented them from putting the tables to FX3. Seems like this is the only compromise they could come up with. Which is decent honestly. Every star wars table in one package. I assume a Marvel all in one will be coming soon too.

What happens when they make a new table for a new Star Wars movie, or a new table for a new Marvel movie? Switch just won't get them at all? Or will they release single tables for Switch? I will assume that they won't be able to add tables to any existing releases. So I'd have to have FX3, Star Wars Pinball, Marvel Pinball, and then a bunch of other single tables cuz they can't be bothered to incorporate them all into a nice package like they have on other consoles & PC. It's incredibly stupid and messy imo. I'd actually rather not have any at all than a half assed attempt.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Don't know if I ever played those but I was not intending to be all that thorough in that.

Absolutely definitive? No. Several did advance the state of play though, or at least represented if not polished in the strictest sense then tight games/systems to explore, and I thoroughly enjoyed several as games -- Star Wars in my head is filed under "interesting cultural phenomenon" to the point that while at this point I can't give you an overview of the original three films (I will get most of the plot points but in order for each film, or indeed splitting things into separate films... not a chance) I would do far better for a lot of the games. Top ?? titles... actually I would expect to see several, especially if it is top "action adventure" or "action platformer".
If back when LucasArts had come out like all those devs/engine makers did on the Wii and Wii U and said "we are giving it a miss" I would have noted it similar to Unreal saying "nah" in terms of hit it would take to the library, today though with it being over a decade since the last thing I particularly could get to caring about. The lack of potency of the star wars franchise name in the modern gaming world was the original thing I was contemplating.

star wars games i own
rogue squadron n64 love it one of my favorite n64 games.

star wars battle for naboo n64(this is an understated classic, its like rogue squadron but much better frame rate, draw distance and such pretty great imo, the ground missions is what made it more forgotten but its amazing).

Star wars shadows of the empire n64 its preety damn fun game even tough the controls on the foot missions were kinda bad but its n64 and its controller was the weakest point still decent action adventure game.

star wars dark forces ps1 really liked the game but the bosses were just cheap imo but still a decent doom clone but i still prefer duke nukem 3d or actual doom.

Star wars rogue squadron 2 and 3 GC really liked both of them altough 3 did seem to have alot of repeat missions imo.

lego star wars complete trilogy ps3 preety fun lego game nothing amazing i also own both on ps2.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 xbox, this games are classic rpg games.

star wars battlefront 1 and 2 (ps2,psp) great fun games.

Star wars republic comando xbox i really liked this game and i dont understand why they haven't made more fps star wars games without being just battlefront series.

im going to buy force unleashed someday they say nice things about them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What happens when they make a new table for a new Star Wars movie, or a new table for a new Marvel movie? Switch just won't get them at all? Or will they release single tables for Switch? I will assume that they won't be able to add tables to any existing releases. So I'd have to have FX3, Star Wars Pinball, Marvel Pinball, and then a bunch of other single tables cuz they can't be bothered to incorporate them all into a nice package like they have on other consoles & PC. It's incredibly stupid and messy imo. I'd actually rather not have any at all than a half assed attempt.
dlc is a thing you know?

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country

I imagine new dlc will be added to each standalone title. It's honestly not that bad. The alternative is not getting the tables at all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
star wars games i own
star wars dark forces ps1 really liked the game but the bosses were just cheap imo but still a decent doom clone but i still prefer duke nukem 3d or actual doom.
If you are so inclined I do recommend getting the PC version here. It is not quite as great a contrast as something like Turok on the N64 and Turok on the PC (or indeed practically anything on the N64 that also saw a PC release) but those left with mixed opinions/general ambivalence towards the PS1 version usually got on really well with the PC one.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you are so inclined I do recommend getting the PC version here. It is not quite as great a contrast as something like Turok on the N64 and Turok on the PC (or indeed practically anything on the N64 that also saw a PC release) but those left with mixed opinions/general ambivalence towards the PS1 version usually got on really well with the PC one.
im not a pc gamer, so i wont ever get a pc version of this or even play the sequel sadly, unless some console that is hacked and dosbox runs the game with enough speed that is :P

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dlc is a thing you know?

I imagine new dlc will be added to each standalone title.

If it was as easy as just adding DLC, why didn't they add the Star Wars tables as DLC to FX3 like other platforms? That's a bit like saying "They released them as a standalone on Switch.. why didn't they just do a stand-alone for PC, XB1, and PS4 instead of making it DLC!!!!"

Anyway. Just my opinions. I think a stand-alone release was stupid.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If it was as easy as just adding DLC, why didn't they add the Star Wars tables as DLC to FX3 like other platforms? That's a bit like saying "They released them as a standalone on Switch.. why didn't they just do a stand-alone for PC, XB1, and PS4 instead of making it DLC!!!!"

Anyway. Just my opinions. I think a stand-alone release was stupid.
because their rights probably expired and then they had to get new rights and for the money of them its probably better to sell it solo, also companys also like to sell dlc as a solo release loads of times like xenoblade torna, wolfenstein old blood and so on.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im not a pc gamer, so i wont ever get a pc version of this or even play the sequel sadly, unless some console that is hacked and dosbox runs the game with enough speed that is :P
There is a source recreation effort looking like something might happen https://github.com/Mindwerks/XLEngine

Though looking at https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197046-star-wars-dark-forces/faqs/2031
COMPUTER: IBM and 100% compatibles
OPERATING SYSTEM: MS-DOS 5.0 or higher
CPU: 386DX/33 minimum (486DX/33 or higher strongly recommended)
CD-ROM drive required
MEMORY: 8 megabytes RAM (6.5 megabytes XMS free)
HARD DISK DRIVE: 3.5 megabytes available space required
INPUT DEVICE: keyboard; joystick and mouse optional
VIDEO: 256-colour VGA/MCGA (Local Bus or PCI recommended)
SOUND CARDS: various popular sound cards are supported.

Anything still running should be able to pull that one off, or a version of dosbox to handle it. You don't need a gaming PC for this one.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There is a source recreation effort looking like something might happen https://github.com/Mindwerks/XLEngine

Though looking at https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197046-star-wars-dark-forces/faqs/2031

Anything still running should be able to pull that one off, or a version of dosbox to handle it. You don't need a gaming PC for this one.
i dont play on pc becuase i cant but becuase i dislike it, theres nothing like being in front of the tv with a controller for me, the only pc games i ever played were counter strike 1.5 to Go and now that i remenber star wars empire at war wich was a gift on a birthday and it was a decent game nothing new tbh.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont play on pc becuase i cant but becuase i dislike it, theres nothing like being in front of the tv with a controller for me, the only pc games i ever played were counter strike 1.5 to Go and now that i remenber star wars empire at war wich was a gift on a birthday and it was a decent game nothing new tbh.

Never really met that one before, though it seems obvious enough.

They do make nice long HDMI cables and remote control options with minimal latency are a thing these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol