The first Star Wars game for the Nintendo Switch will be Star Wars Pinball, launches Sept

Before we get to see this weekend's big Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order game reveal, we've been treated to the announcement of a side game: Star Wars Pinball, for the Nintendo Switch. You'll get to play pinball on 19 different tables, all inspired by different movies and characters throughout the franchise. The Nintendo Switch version will boast exclusive features, such as the ability to play vertically, a campaign mode full of challenging missions, and a physical release, the first for any Zen Pinball game. Star Wars Pinball will make its way to the galaxy of Nintendo Switch on September 13th.

NINTENDO SWITCH EXCLUSIVE FEATURES AND MODES In addition to HD Rumble and vertical play, Star Wars Pinball boasts several features and modes exclusive to Nintendo Switch as a standalone product:
• Galactic Struggle: Every Star Wars Pinball player in the galaxy will choose to follow the light or dark side in a perpetual online digital tug-of-war between the forces of good and evil. What is your destiny?
• Career Mode: Designed with short on-the-go gameplay sessions in mind, this mode challenges you to complete very specific pinball-based missions across all 19 tables. Choose the path of the Jedi or the Sith as progress through 50 career ranks. Some missions involve mastering awesome Star Wars-themed minigames that might be difficult for some players to access through regular play, such as piloting an X-wing or TIE fighter or fighting Darth Vader in a lightsaber duel.
• Force Powers and Talents: Collect Holocron Shards during missions to unlock Force Powers and Talents that yield special in-game bonuses when activated, such as multipliers, slowing down time and more.
• Cantina Jukebox: Collect the greatest tunes in the galaxy as you play each table. Once you’ve heard a song, you can listen to it any time you like. As with past Zen Studios pinball releases, players can challenge anyone in the galaxy through Galactic Tournaments, League Play and, of course, old-fashioned high scores achieved through Single Player mode.

Reactions: fst312 and Xzi

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pinball is fun. more 5 dollar fun then 20 or 40 dollar fun, but fun. i quite liked sonic spinball back in the day, though I'm told that's quite odd.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
If it was as easy as just adding DLC, why didn't they add the Star Wars tables as DLC to FX3 like other platforms? That's a bit like saying "They released them as a standalone on Switch.. why didn't they just do a stand-alone for PC, XB1, and PS4 instead of making it DLC!!!!"

Anyway. Just my opinions. I think a stand-alone release was stupid.

Licensing, trademarks, copyright issues have prevented them bringing over Star Wars and Marvel tables. I think because those tables were all originally FX2 tables that can be imported over. Some legal fuckery probably meant they can't just sell them as FX3 tables instead of just FX2 imports.

So they have taken a year to work it out and the solution is a standalone package. Which I imagine any new SW tables will be compatible with this standalone. I'm just speculating but this is the most likely reason.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why pinball? Just port lego star wars.

Because Pinball actually requires a great deal of skill to play & master the way it's meant to be played. It's not just about randomly hitting the ball all over the place any time it gets near the flippers. There are plenty of objectives and goals, learning ball control techniques & tricks, the art of bumping the table, etc. Unfortunately most people just bat the ball around with zero purpose. Pinball is a HUGE deal in many larger cities in the US. Tournaments, prizes, etc happen quite frequently and there are large pinball arcades all over. Even some state fairs will have entire buildings filled with nothing but pinball tables.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No , zen pinball is Epic in my book, but you will have to like pinball.
zen pinball is for noobs who can't play real pinball the physics are so dumbed down a little kid can easily play it. and they think throwing in all these fancy effects and animations make it better but it doesn't without the physics to back it up it's garbage. not even close to as awesome as VPX that's REAL pinball

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
were they ever relevant?
sure the n64 and gc had rogue squadron series that were highly praised for being technically impressive at the time, but other than those i don't recall a single star wars game that was goty material.
kotor, old battlefront 2, force unleashed, empire at war
star wars is fucking awesome for games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure if RetroArch has improved it's UI or not