Gaming The death of the Nintendo DS and PSP is here

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quite honestly, is there even a real need to play PC games on-the-go?

I don't have a problem sitting in my pretty comfy computer chair and staying at home to play TF2. I've never felt a desire to bring it around with me. I mean why would I want to give up my nice, big keyboard for a smaller one, my mouse for a touchscreen, my big screen for a small screen, and probably (if you've got a nice gaming desktop) lesser specs. Plus a lot of dedicated PC gamers (online ones, at least) preferred wired > wireless, so why give up that too?

If you want portable PC gaming, go buy a gaming laptop. I mean you're always bragging about how you have "real money", so go shell out the couple thousand bucks for a nice gaming laptop. Even an "average" laptop can probably run your old war games that you so dearly love. If the specs are REALLY that low, maybe even a netbook.

People are just too obsessed with things fitting in their pockets (even though this would still be quite awkward in a pocket).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whoever said portable gaming (consoles or laptops) had to be a replacement for a gaming PC and a comfortable chair and big fancy keyboard and mouse and a big high-quality screen?

Or better yet, get the best of both worlds. A gaming PC at home with two or more monitors, and a laptop that you can take places to play your games anywhere (or plug into one of the monitors at home). And then on top of that, get a Razer Switchblade when it's out so you can even fit it in your oversized pockets and give your kids/friends something to play with while you're hogging the laptop.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
People with common sense don't agree with you, and you decide to cry about it.

If you really have "real cash", I doubt that you'd be willing to spend it on something so superfluous as this, as a laptop/netbook would be a much better choice, being that it could probably do the same things and much more.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
But if you can use it in your hands, it's considered a handheld. Technically, this also means it's not a laptop. But, as you said, it's a notebook. And as I said, notebooks can be handheld.

Anyway, enough with the semantics. It doesn't mean anything until it's out.

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FireGrey said:
You would be limited to just games so no internet, no Emulators and the list goes on.
I find this a fail.

How is it just games without internet or emulators?
1) It can play WoW, which you need the internet for.
2) The video in the OP states it can also do multimedia
3) The video is quite old by the looks of it, and was before they chose an OS
4) If you read the article i previously posted, you will see it comes with windows 7, which means you can install emulators.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Julian Sidewind said:
FireGrey said:
You would be limited to just games so no internet, no Emulators and the list goes on.
I find this a fail.

How is it just games without internet or emulators?
1) It can play WoW, which you need the internet for.
2) The video in the OP states it can also do multimedia
3) The video is quite old by the looks of it, and was before they chose an OS
4) If you read the article i previously posted, you will see it comes with windows 7, which means you can install emulators.
So it's a laptop?

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes it's a laptop, who's arguing that it isn't a laptop. Portable PC gaming = laptop. It's just a netbook with more horsepower than a regular netbook, a fancy keyboard, and some tasty bits to make it work on the go. Why is it bad that it's a laptop? I don't understand.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been playing Nintendo handheld systems since 1989 (earlier if you count G&W), lots of people have said [insert failed handheld device name here] is the next big thing and Nintendo will lose control of hat market - still hasn't happened. Even Sony with all their R & D and marketing might couldn't do it. You have to consider your target market too - casual adult gamer play games on their smartphones will riding the subway, they wouldn't see the point in investing $$$ in a device like this. Kids (normal kids without rich over-indulgent parents) just can't afford it.

Don't take my word for it, it's well known video games history.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Julian Sidewind said:
Yes it's a laptop, who's arguing that it isn't a laptop. Portable PC gaming = laptop. It's just a netbook with more horsepower than a regular netbook, a fancy keyboard, and some tasty bits to make it work on the go. Why is it bad that it's a laptop? I don't understand.

Difference is you hold a handheld in your hands and play whereas a laptop rests on your lap or the desk.
(Clues in the names)
Try holding that in your hands and you only have access to half the buttons and none of the touch screen.

D

Deleted User

The DS and the PSP are last generation handhelds, they're already dead, they don't need anything to kill them.

This "Razor" 7 inch concept mini-computer/netbook, is a good idea in concept, but whether it'll make a practical profit remains to be seen considering that I heard that the price tag on this device, will be around $1000, which is enough to net you a DECENT Desktop, or a good notebook w/ a decent dedicated graphics card.

To be honest, the OpenPandora would be this product pulled off by a non-major company right, the price on the open Pandora was what... $330-350? Razor would have to cut some serious corners to make this more appealing than the OpenPandora considering Linux capability, homebrew and emulation. If this razor product has any limitations comparable to any product trying to lock down it's capability (compared to the open Pandora) then it will, without a doubt fail.

I agree, to an extent that this is a new concept as far as "portable gaming", but it doesn't kill the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP, anyone who thinks that way doesn't understand the market demographics and the target audiences of such a device. This device isn't marketed towards Nintendo DS or Sony PSP audiences, it's marketed towards the niche audience of the PC/Laptop/Netbook audience who'd like more power in a more portable form. This product isn't as limited as the Nintendo DS in it's capability, it's more Gaming-Purposed Netbook than anything else. It just provides another option compared to the M11x as far as I'm concerned at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a damn cool proof of concept commercial, but no one's going to pay $1000 for Intel's improved IGP, because even if it's improved, it's not dedicated.

If this thing actually got off the launching pad, there's obviously going to be some hacking going into it to expand it's capabilities, I wouldn't assume that it's just limited to a few games or tasks.

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Pandora looks a lot nicer than this thing. There's going to be quite a few computers like this hitting the market. I've already seen a few of these pocket pc's

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do we still play ds games with puny screens? Because Nintendo is Nintendo, and no powerfull laptop or super computer may/will NEVER EVER take its place. Question sollved

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadLocked said:
Difference is you hold a handheld in your hands and play whereas a laptop rests on your lap or the desk.
(Clues in the names)
Try holding that in your hands and you only have access to half the buttons and none of the touch screen.

But it's not meant to be a handheld if ur playing on the go...I would imagine you would put it on your lap while on the subway or something. I never play games while im walking or anything that would require this to be handheld. I always play sitting down, which means i have a lap available, which leaves space for this.

On a realistic note, i would never buy this because it would get stolen in a heartbeat..

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gullwing said:
Why do we still play ds games with puny screens? Because Nintendo is Nintendo, and no powerfull laptop or super computer may/will NEVER EVER take its place. Question sollved

i am agree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Lonely here