Gaming The CFW and OFW history downloads topic

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see a sort of comparison of all of the CFW's since I don't exactly know which one is better than the other. For example, I've got a Phat with M33-6 on it, and I'm not sure which one's better, or even how to compare CFW's. But still, cool thread (should be stickied)

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know where you're getting your stuff from, but almost all my sources will go out of their way to get a game working on M33. SOCOM FTB3 is a good example of this.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The only other firmware is 5.50 GEN-D3.
Advantages:- Ability to run latest UMDs and ISOs (without patching), Actively being developed
Disadvantages:- Tends to be less stable than M33 and more prone to crashing though this is still a very small chance, also has slightly less PS1 compatibility though I have had no problems with my games (other than a randomly appearing glitch in FFVII)

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
The only other firmware is 5.50 GEN-D3.
Advantages:- Ability to run latest UMDs and ISOs (without patching), Actively being developed
Disadvantages:- Tends to be less stable than M33 and more prone to crashing though this is still a very small chance, also has slightly less PS1 compatibility though I have had no problems with my games (other than a randomly appearing glitch in FFVII)
Heard of corrupted saves happening quite a lot on GEN, is that true?
Also, what worries me most is GEN's lack to play 1.50 kernel games, but can it play lower? One of the games I really wanna play requires 1.10 IIRC so would that work? This is the only think keeping me over at M33 at the moment.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot a big disadvantage -- no built-in 1.50 support (useful for old abandoned homebrew). Yes I know there is Time Machine but it is much nicer built in...

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Corrupted saves seem to happen after a GEN-D3 upgrade, it could happen if going from M33 where you used patching to run games in the 5.00 firmware so the saves appear corrupted when going up. I've never had this problem having played all my games on 5.50

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Corrupted saves seem to happen after a GEN-D3 upgrade, it could happen if going from M33 where you used patching to run games in the 5.00 firmware so the saves appear corrupted when going up. I've never had this problem having played all my games on 5.50
So if I go straight to GEN (Even with pre-patched games) I should be fine, right?
The biggest problem i'm worrying about is running some of the older games (That run on the kernel below 1.50) No idea if they would work or not

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Any homebrew that uses the 1.5 kernel will not work. Really old retail game WILL work however (because if Sony blocked you from using them in firmware updastes they'd REEAALLY be in the shit)

And yeah you're fine using pre-patched ISOs in GEN.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd really like someone here with GEN D-3 to try Sega Rally (an old game) and see what they find. This one is supposedly broken on D3 and if that one is who knows what else might be...

May just be false reporting but better to know for sure.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
I'd really like someone here with GEN D-3 to try Sega Rally (an old game) and see what they find. This one is supposedly broken on D3 and if that one is who knows what else might be...

May just be false reporting but better to know for sure.

If you can PM me a decent download I'd be happy to, all I find in my torrent searches are "Sega Rally Revo"

pacha69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Great work. I'm currently on cfw 4.01 m33-2 ( I know, it's been ages since I didn't turn on my psp ), what do you guys recommend I should do ? Or can I just stay with that cfw ?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
pacha69 said:
Great work. I'm currently on cfw 4.01 m33-2 ( I know, it's been ages since I didn't turn on my psp ), what do you guys recommend I should do ? Or can I just stay with that cfw ?

Upgrade to 5.00 M33-6.
Then go onto 5.50 GEN D3 if you don't want to patch games.

pacha69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Prowler485 said:
pacha69 said:

Upgrade to 5.00 M33-6.
Then go onto 5.50 GEN D3 if you don't want to patch games.

Thank you very much. Going to try this now :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Happy birthday, btw