The BIG Football Thread

Monkee3000

Trophies
XP
Country
So there was a League of Wales back then? just regional and amateur. Now that there is a professional league there is nothing stopping the Welsh teams leaving the English league and entering the Welsh league(Well other than greed).

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The WPL is a mixture of semi-pro and pro. What's stopping the Welsh teams? The fact they have long running financial models based on the english league system. If Cardiff or Swansea went to join the WPL, they're going to change their playing staff and make dozens of non-playing staff redundant. Why should they be forced to drastically change their financial model? It's not greed, it's about being able to pay the bills, do you honestly think Cardiff City are going to be able to maintain the Cardiff City stadium on what they would get from the WPL?

Monkee3000

Trophies
XP
Country
I have never said you shouldn't be there because of any law. I have said you should be playing in Wales because you are a Welsh team, pretty straight forward.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're argument ignores the realistic reasons why the Swansea et al can't join the WPL. Our footballing history is in the football league, the welsh teams were invited in and they were more than happy to do so. The teams who joined the football league were the teams with a greater populace which gave them the foundations to have a professional team. And being in the football league, their financial model is based on being in the football league. By the time the WPL was formed, the Welsh teams had already outgrown the Welsh league system. The standard of the WPL is below Blue Square Premier. The whole situation of the welsh teams in the English league system is a quirk, they was no formal league system during their origins so they went next door. To say they should play in the WPL just because they're a Welsh team is a simplistic argument, it ignores the historical ties to the football league and the pragmatic financial reasons.

Monkee3000

Trophies
XP
Country
So far you've Brought up history as a reason to stay in England, then money as an excuse for not joining the WPL and finally the standard of WPL is poor as another reason to stay away. Why not just have a British League? that seems a much fairer method.
Why do you think EPL voted against Celtic and Rangers joining? every ones a winner aren't they? the SPL becomes more competitive and the Old Firm get step up in standard of opposition and receive more revenue.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm actually comfortable with the idea of a British league but the realistic formation of it would be a nightmare.

Regarding the possible membership of Celtic and Rangers joining the football league? I have no issue with the principal, as long they play by the rules and work their way through from non league because to place them in the PL would be unfair to the teams in the football pyramid.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Non-facetious question - whereabouts do people think Celtic and Rangers find themselves, position-wise, if they played in the English leagues?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
tumblr_lw7qn58NxG1qii6tmo1_500.gif

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Henry will probably be useless, but imo he will lift the morale of the club alot, something that really needs to be done (which is good for a neutral)

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: