Hardware The 3DS squeaks

cbutters

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Squeaking usually means that something is very tight. sounds like the hinges are made quite well and the fact that they are squeaking is a good tight seal. My guess is that it will eventually disappear with continued use. I would rather have a good tight squeak than a rattling back and forth because it isn't tight enough. We will see once I get my 3DS in a few days.

Gengar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
epicCreations.org said:
Since my DS usage usually looks like this:
START- open DS and get playing
5 HOURS LATER
END- close DS
It probably won't be too much of an issue
tongue.gif

You can hear the noise ALL THE TIME when you're moving your 3DS.
Especially while playing AR games of Face Raider, when you have to move. But I also notice it while playing Street Fighter.

(It's a blue one; but that doesn't matter)

WiKiLEAK

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
This "Hinge Issue" was already reported in the Engadget review of the 3DS, they say that the Japanese one didnt have it but that the USA one did.

I made a comment about it on the 3DS thread a while ago : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=282...p;#entry3534610

WiKiLEAK said:
supposedly there are some differences between the Japanese and the American 3DS

Engadget.com said:
Update: We made a slight tweak in the text above as we've had a chance to compare the two consoles and it seems like the US version has a slightly different hinge. The Japanese one was virtually silent and smooth but the US one is a bit more jarring and has a louder click with popping into place. It's a very minor point, but FYI just the same.

Ummm, hinge issues already ??

Xastabus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Answer: Silicone lubricant. It should be safe to use because it is non conductive, and in my experience it is pretty easy to clean up compaired to oil based products. If you decide to try this, keep in mind that a little goes a long way.

Rubik's Cube "Speedcubers" would call this stuff Cube Lube.

I haven't personally tested this suggestion however as I won't be getting a 3DS until LoZ:OoT 3D comes out. Use this advice at your own risk, I take no responsibility if you damage your hardware.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
When i first got mine the hinge would squeak when opening the console, but after a couple of days it has now stopped.

RyanRDLPS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to chime in on this. After some cleaning after owning the console for a few days the hinge did indeed start squeaking when you clicked it back into its default position, then gave it a little nudge and the give and take seems to produce the squeak. Wobble it bit in the air with in the default position and you'll hear it if your plastic hinge is too tight.

I fixed this by using some Goo Gone, but really any solvent will work. A little on a cotton swab and then a bit on the left hinge. It's not the spring/component part of the system that is squeaking. I found it was just the plastic being too tight. A little oil base fixed it right up. Hope this helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah but I'd tie him up in the females bathroom