Charmander is not pleased.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Welcome back to thaddius’ Console Roast 2014 Edition. For those of you who are not aware this is a poll where you, the GBATemp user, get to vote on what GBATemp thinks is the worst console ever is. For more information check out the Rules section below.

Recap:
Last week’s poll was the first one in a while without landslide winner. Despite that the clear winner this week is:
UzgRHdx.png

The Tiger R-Zone! Congratulations, Tiger, your Game.com came in second too!

I’m actually surprised there weren’t more votes for the Virtual Boy, but I’m even more surprised that people voted for the Game Boy Color. Based on the votes the perceived best console would have to be the SNK Neo Geo Pocket. Not a bad choice, GBATemp (if not a little odd).

And so the Tiger R-Zone joins the Watara SuperVision for the handheld showdown to take place some time in the future that I’m not willing to figure out now.

If you’d like to know more about how the voting went check out last week’s thread here.

Intro:

The Fifth Generation of Consoles. There are some main players that we all remember fondly and then there are the rest of the CD based consoles that rounded out the shitty edutainment, VCD playing consoles.

‘Interactive Movie’-type games were ubiquitous on the latter systems as everyone and their dog figured that with the advent of video playback base gameplay that everyone could get in on it. Games like Mad Dog McCree (which i’m horrified to find out was released on the 3DS) and Night Trap were straight out films with tangential interactivity, while games like The Daedalus Encounter (starring Tia Carrere) opted for green screen actors with rendered sets.

I hate this aspect of early-to-mid 90s video games. Mostly because I was asked as a child to play test a few for a local company and they were not fun at all.

So before we get to the contenders, let's recap the rules, shall we?

Rules:

There can only be one!

Each week I pit each console generation against itself to determine what the worst console of that generation was. Updates will hopefully be up every Thursday from now till the end.

We’re going to work our way up through consoles and handhelds until we reach the current generation. Once that’s all done, we’ll determine the worst console and the worst handheld. From there we choose the definitive GBATemp-approved WORST CONSOLE EVER.

Your only job, Mr. or Ms. GBATemper, is to cast your vote for what you think the worst of the generation is. Please try to do some research, watch some videos, maybe play a few of these games on a (completely legitimate) emulator, and you just might learn a little about the weird amorphous blob that is video game history. But I can't (and won't) keep you from just shooting from the uninformed hip. You're also encouraged to explain your choice in the form of a response to this topic. :)

In the event of a tie, I (Sir thaddius prigg) will cast the deciding vote. It is my Roast after all...

The Generations are taken from Wikipedia as I've deemed that to be an appropriate neutral third party. I understand if you might have some concerns that I've put things in the wrong generation in your opinion, but I'm not too concerned about that. Generations are murky constructs at best and are based on arbitrary distinctions made by outsiders as post hoc rationalizations that don't mean anything to anyone anyway. Don't take any of this too seriously. I'm not going to change the polls based on your opinion of them.

Aggressive discussion is allowed, but please try to keep within the rules of the forums. Just try to have fun and don’t be a jerk, k?
Enough of that crap, time to get started!

This Week's Challengers:

The Commodore Amiga CD32
ecLTnga.jpg

Despite long time PC maker Commodore launching the Amiga CD32 successfully in Europe and places like Canada, an injunction placed on it for a patent violation means that many American’s have never heard of this thing.

Just like the Phillips CD-i it was able to play game, VCDs, and regular audio CDs. And just like most early CD-based consoles it had some terrible interactive movie games.

This is an odd console as Commodore made it so that, with a few add-ons, it could be used as an actual personal computer.

Commodore filed for bankruptcy in April of ’94, a mere 6 months after the release of the Amiga CD32 and as a result the console did not sell well.

The Panasonic/Goldstar/Sanyo 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
dDqahvM.jpg

Launching in NA for $700, the 3DO Interactive had it all: crappy games, MPEG-1 VCD playback, and daisy-chained controllers (that last one is pretty interesting actually).

When this thing launched in ’93 it found itself an overpriced monster amid a sea of CD based consoles. There were main consoles like the Amiga and CD-i, but there was also CD add-ons like the Mega/Sega CD and the Turbo GrafX 16 CD, the 3DO being the only one that didn’t mention CD in its title.

Much like the CD-i this one got passed around a few times and a number of manufacturers tried their hand at the console, but unlike another electronics manufacturer that got the whole ‘new to the video game scene’ thing right, none of them panned out very well and the companies just came across as being naive. Especially since having multiple manufacturers making the console inadvertently saturated the market further.

The Atari Jaguar
ZjVvR9H.jpg

Atari hoped that people would remember how awesome they were pre-crash when they released this console. Sadly ten years had passed and a new generation of video game playing kids had grown up with Nintendo and now Sega so Atari was a distant memory to some and a completely unknown entity to others.

The Jaguar had one ridiculous controller. For the top half they opted for a Genesis-like three buttoned controller, which was fine. But for some reason the bottom half had a number pad.

The downfall of the Jaguar is usually attributed to the fact that it was competing against the SNES and Genesis when it was launched and later the Nintendo 64, PlayStation, and Sega Saturn, but it was also up against a large number of other consoles on the bottom rung of the ladder. CD and 32-bit add-ons for Gen 4 systems made the Jaguar redundant, even when it decided to release a CD add-on of it’s own.

Atari would end up completely collapsing at this time and selling off all of their assets. The company we now know as Atari is only a name as the rights to it were purchased by Infogames around this time.

The Sega Saturn
b3SU3u5.png

Sega made some strange decisions around the launch of the Saturn.

At the end of the Genesis’ lifecycle they released the 32X expansion. Sega was also working on their ‘Neptune’ console that would be a combination of the Genesis/Mega Drive, the Sega/Mega CD, and the 32X.

While all of this may have seemed like a good idea at the time (relatively inexpensive way into the next generation) Sega has been criticized for fragmenting their fan base with games being released for the Genesis/Mega Drive that required one or both of the add-ons that people didn’t necessarily have. They were also still supporting the Master System, Game Gear, and Pico at the time which may have stretched them a little thin.

Couple that with the botched launch of the Saturn and it’s $399 launch price (a price that was under cut by the highly anticipated PlayStation) and things start to go wrong for the company.

The Saturn was heralded for its arcade ports and did quite well for itself in Japan. Because of this the Japanese CEO of Sega Enterprises instructed Sega of America to focus on the Saturn. This was apparently a point of contention as Sega of America’s management team resigned en masse by ’96.

With Sega of America in disarray the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 remained mostly unhindered but for each other in North America.

The Sony PlayStation
oEo7tOM.jpg

Born from a failed deal for a CD add-on for the SNES, Sony rose to become Nintendo’s worst rival.

Despite many newcomers releasing systems left and right Sony managed to create buzz about the PlayStation with an effective marketing strategy.

The well publicized story of Square switching from Nintendo platforms to Sony for their latest Final Fantasy game made gamers take notice. And Sony cooly announcing that it would launch for $100 less than the Saturn was met with raucous praise.

The PlayStation did fall prey to games that relied on video of real actors to exposit plot, but for the most part they were merely cutscenes (like Resident Evil and Warhawk).

Sony would ultimately replace Sega as a main player in the video game industry.

The Nintendo 64
NP6i6HQ.png

In an effort to mitigate load times in their games Nintendo decided to scrap the current trend of using disc based media for their console and stick to cartridges.

This was heavily criticized by the industry as there were those who felt it needlessly increased the cost of the games and reduced revenue as cartridges were comparatively more expensive to make. I’m sure you all know that this is touted as the reason why Square switched teams for Final Fantasy VII.

The Virtual Boy’s failure contributed to the feeling at the time that Nintendo was past their prime. And with the 64 arriving a year after the Saturn and PlayStation and the 64 apparently being difficult to develop for Nintendo was left in a bad position.

Lucky for them the Sega began having trouble with their management in North America and kids who grew up with the NES and/or SNES remained loyal to their brand.

The 64’s controller, which has not aged well, was Nintendo’s ace in the hole at first as no other console this generation initially shipped with a controller with analogue controls (despite the fact that the 64’s control stick was apparently not actually analogue).

The Nintendo 64 would rely mostly on first party support and garner a beloved ‘second party’ in Rare throughout its lifetime, trends that would continue.

Outro:

And there you have it: The Fifth Generation of Consoles. I can't see the 64, Saturn, or PlayStation winning this poll at all. I'll be interested to see who 'wins' and who 'loses' though.

Don't forget too vote! See you in the comments!

Current Standings:

Cq2aY5O.png

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Close tie between the N64 and Jaguar.
Seriously, 3 pronged controller?
Then again, A controller with numeric buttons?

I think I'll go with the Jaguar.
Somehow, I managed the N64, I never played the Atari so I can't really judge about it.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DO and Jaguar were both potential of really great games but unfortunately, both were plagued by lack of titles and just plain bad titles. The 3DO did have some pretty fun games though so I had to vote for the Jaguar.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, tough choice... had to go with the Sony if I was going to pick one. Out of all the systems, I'd have to say that the PSX was the one I was excited about the least back in the day. Granted, I know it has the largest library, and of course the legendary watered down version of Castlevania SOTN, but truth be told, I never was a Sony fan, and I did manage to spend a LOT of time with my Jaguar and 3DO despite the fact that most of the games for those systems sucked hard core, but the few gems they had, really shined for me.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow.. Have you ever seen the collection of PS1 games? There are tons of great games for it that are far beyond those of the other systems on the list.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, tough choice... had to go with the Sony if I was going to pick one. Out of all the systems, I'd have to say that the PSX was the one I was excited about the least back in the day. Granted, I know it has the largest library, and of course the legendary watered down version of Castlevania SOTN, but truth be told, I never was a Sony fan, and I did manage to spend a LOT of time with my Jaguar and 3DO despite the fact that most of the games for those systems sucked hard core, but the few gems they had, really shined for me.
??? - Trolling? :P

Anyway, a tough one at last! Nobody in their right mind should be voting for either the PSX or Saturn, and despite its problems we should also rule out the N64 purely for some of the greatest games ever seen being on it...
The Jag was horrific at the time, but looking at it now there was some quality stuff on there, including of course the legendary Tempest: The 3DO I honestly had MANY wonderful hours on, again with some fantastic games (been playing on 4DO this week in fact). No my vote, despite having quite the range of games itself, has to be the CD32: most of the games on it were simply ports of A1200 games - anything original on it was mainly crap, and that controller, my God it was horrendous! :lol: Neither the Jag or 3DO had decent pads themselves, but that was in a league of its own. Pit against the CDi (and the generation gap does blur a little between the two) and the CD32 is 1000% better, but it's just not up there with the others in this poll!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow... really? People voting for the PlayStation, the unquestionable winner of the generation? Okay, fair enough.

This is a difficult choice, since a lot of those systems screwed up in many areas. The Jaguar, Saturn and the N64 are heavily over-engineered, the Amiga CD32 is really just a re-packaged, re-purposed Amiga computer and it's technologically far behind the competition, the 3DO was a commercial fiasco... practically only the PlayStation hit the nail on the head in just about every category, which obviously lead to it being one of the most successful and iconic consoles of all time.

Seeing that I have to pick one, I'll have to go with the Jaguar. It had plenty potential as a system, but it simply offered too little too late. At the time of its release, nothing could touch it in terms of raw processing prowess, but what good is that when coding something that takes advantage of its capabilities required a degree in astrophysics? Each of those systems did something right - the Amiga CD32 could be used as a home computer, the 3DO was the industry's first steps into 3D technology, the Saturn's geometry calculation prowess was unmatched, the N64 supported hardware acceleration via SGI's technology which in turn laid the groundworks for OpenGL and the PlayStation was affordable, powerful for its price tak and easy to develop for and had a massive library of titles. The Jaguar was a relict of the previous epoch and it shows, and that's why it's getting my vote.

Reactions: GameWinner

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd never heard of the Panasonic/Sanyo machine: that's the one I voted for. They were both like Sony: Japanese companies who made electronics. But Sony came out on top because their electronic devices were better. (Anyone remember the Walkman? It was a radio and doubled as a CD player.) But I'm not really sure about Nintendo. Cartridges did load faster than CD's; but they were kind of thick. I think I can safely say that Nintendo started to age here. And Sony had just been born and people were excited about it. But Nintendo survived because of those few devoted people who believed Nintendo still made quality games.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost voted the N64 just because I have always hated the joystick. Great hardware and games though. And again, just because I ain't a Sony fan don't mean that I don't enjoy PSX classics from time to time. It was just during the release period, I only bought a PSX for the best version of DOOM to ever grace a console, other than that, it collected dust while I spent most of my time playing Jaguar, 3DO, and of course the Saturn.
Ironically, I never owned an Amiga CD32, but I do have two 1200's and two 600's and I am quite fond of Amiga all around so the CD32, though perhaps more of a system to have competed in the SNES/Genesis era, I still could not bring my self to vote against it. It's Amiga for crying out loud, that is sacred ground!!! ;)

Reactions: raulpica

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just thought of something. How come the 32X isn't on the list? I know it was an addon but it was its own platform.
The 32X is hard to classify. Originally it was intended as a stand-alone system, but after some internal talks it was decided that it would be more cost-effective for customers to buy it as an add-on instead. It was developed alongside the Saturn, it uses the same technology and it was released shortly prior to its bigger brother. Sega had the intention to market both simultaneously with the 32X bridging the gap between 4th gen and 5th gen and the Saturn being the high end system people will gradually transition to. Of course with a price tag like the 32X's and the fact that it wasn't stand-alone, this strategy turned out to be disasterous, but that's besides the point. So... all in all, it's a 5th generation system that could have been, but ended up as an add-on for a 4th generation one.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
For me it was kind of a draw between the CD32 and the 3DO because the whole interactive movie thing just sucks. The others had at least were a little more dedicated to real gaming. Just because I it's the only one I hadn't acutally heard of before, I think I ended up going with the CD32 a little too fast but can't change my vote now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
For me it was kind of a draw between the CD32 and the 3DO because the whole interactive movie thing just sucks. The others had at least were a little more dedicated to real gaming. Just because I it's the only one I hadn't acutally heard of before, I think I ended up going with the CD32 a little too fast but can't change my vote now.
The 3DO was dedicated to gaming, the reason why it's plagued by interactive video games was The 3DO Company's very lenient licensing terms. 3DO is where Need for Speed and Gex started off, among other franchises. The myth that it has no games worth playing is just that, a myth.

Reactions: weatMod

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Christ...this is the toughest vote thus far.

Okay, so the PSX, N64 and saturn easily aren't my vote. I've heard of the other three, but never actually played one. Researching them now shows that these three were really not that bad as some previous entries.
The amiga CD32 didn't get to vote because it apparently was the first console with a browser. No idea how interesting that "upgrade to PC"-thing really was, but it's certainly interesting enough to refrain it from getting the vote.
Of the remainder two, I voted for the 3DO. While it may had some good games, that price is just too unforgiving. And unlike the neo geo, it didn't quite show a return on investment.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3DO is where Need for Speed and Gex started off, among other franchises. The myth that it has no games worth playing is just that, a myth.
Hear hear! And what about 3DO Need for Speed ehh, a one on one race through the streets with a 'real' bloke who talked shit to you at the end of the race - how fantastic a game was that (and why hasn't that same format been tried since?)
Powers Kingdom/Guardian War? Damn the game is showing its age (I fired it up on 4DO last weekend), but the hours of fun I had with that at the time..... Super SFII Turbo complete with fabulous orchestra remixed bgm... Best version of Cannon Fodder, Return Fire. A fantastic machine! That said, Taleweaver has just reminded me about the rrp, that's put a crack in these rose tinted glasses I'm currently wearing....:lol:

And XDel: Amiga equals Sacred Ground?! That's another excellent point right there! ;)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cant believe the 3DO is losing this one! Sad times! :( I had one and it was a decent console at the time, it was certainly a hell of lot better than the Jaguar thats for sure! It had an amazing version of Road Rash, the first semi decent 3D version of FIFA and a host of other decent games like Doom, Flashback, The Incredible Machine, John Madden, Need For Speed, Myst, Wing commander etc.

Reactions: cdoty

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I can't really judge because I never owned any of these. :(

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Is that supposed to rhyme? I can't decide. Because in order for it to rhyme either the "pen" should be pronounced "peen", or "been" be pronounced "ben", or the whole verse has to be spoken in a very heavy New Zealand accent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY