Tempted to get a Raspberry Pi 3

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Learn a couple of basic bash command and ssh. It will make your life oh so much more enlightened.
(And perhaps also easier)

Such as? XD

no need for all that wen you can just plug the micro in the pc but ok xD

I suppose I can use the same SD card I burned the Lakka image onto :P

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Such as? XD

thats where the roms get copied to after all, unless youre uploading from a phone samba is useless

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Such as? XD

less you just dont wanna take the sd card out

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats where the roms get copied to after all, unless youre uploading from a phone samba is useless

less you just dont wanna take the sd card out

I was looking at the PSX emulator, games seem to run pretty well, only turnoff is they don't seem to use Gaussian interpolation, but linear and games sound incredibly raspy. I hope all the PSX cores don't sound that raspy X3

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Such as? XD

Well, after you connect to the Rpi with some ssh client (such as ssh or putty) you could use the most basic ones to move or modify files like: cp, cd, mkdir, mount, mv, etc. Also vi or nano for editing, perhaps you will need sudo some time. Hmmm, there should be a quick bash tutorial for Rpi somewhere.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I was looking at the PSX emulator, games seem to run pretty well, only turnoff is they don't seem to use Gaussian interpolation, but linear and games sound incredibly raspy. I hope all the PSX cores don't sound that raspy X3
interesting
Well, after you connect to the Rpi with some ssh client (such as ssh or putty) you could use the most basic ones to move or modify files like: cp, cd, mkdir, mount, mv, etc. Also vi or nano for editing, perhaps you will need sudo some time. Hmmm, there should be a quick bash tutorial for Rpi somewhere.
and why? the main directories are formatted fat and can be read on windows linux and mac and phones

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting

and why? the main directories are formatted fat and can be read on windows linux and mac and phones

Maybe it's just me, but the sound sounds really raspy and sounds like it uses linear interpolation; PCSX on Windows runs with Gaussian, same with the Android ports, maybe this dude on YT is using an older core, either way, I have
no way to confirm it,.
@Meteor7 can you confirm if the PSX core uses Gaussian or Linear interpolation? A good way to test would be hearing if a game sounds "muffled" or "raspy" like Crash Bandicoot 2/3.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
interesting

Because why not?
It is always useful, it may help fix things and make things work, and you can do it even from your phone.
Hell, you could copy files from your phone using any scp client easily if you wanted also.
I say, It will make your life oh so much more enlightened.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's just me, but the sound sounds really raspy and sounds like it uses linear interpolation; PCSX on Windows runs with Gaussian, same with the Android ports, maybe this dude on YT is using an older core, either way, I have
no way to confirm it,.
@Meteor7 can you confirm if the PSX core uses Gaussian or Linear interpolation? A good way to test would be hearing if a game sounds "muffled" or "raspy" like Crash Bandicoot 2/3.
usually cores can be configured to use different settings just press the xbox button and select core options (or something along that name)

Because why not?
It is always useful, it may help fix things out make things work, and you can do it even from your phone.
Hell, you could copy files from your phone using any scp client easily if you wanted also.
I say, It will make your life oh so much more enlightened.
but its only useful if for the phone. but hey you must have a reason so you can it as you please ^-^

Konno Ryo

gbatemp's clueless butler?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
upcycled? would you link me?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upcycling said:
Upcycling, also known as creative reuse, is the process of transforming by-products, waste materials, useless, or unwanted products into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value. Upcycling is the opposite of downcycling, which is the other half of the recycling process.

Last edited by Konno Ryo,

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usually cores can be configured to use different settings just press the xbox button and select core options (or something along that name)

but its only useful if for the phone. but hey you must have a reason so you can it as you please ^-^

Eh, I hope so, linear interpolation may be "faster" in some ways, but is almost never worth the sacrifice as Gaussian is what the real hardware used; hopefully I can use it.

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, you don't really need a raspberry pi if you already have a computer you can just connect it to a tv and run emulators on that. The only downside is the pcs bigger but it's going to be able to emulate more stuff then a Rasberry pi.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to tell, as I've never owned an actual PS1. To me, the games sound just fine, but I'm not very sensitive to sound differences in games. I could try and compare between the Pi, Vita, and PS3, if you know one of those uses the interpolation method you want, but those are my only methods of playing PSX games.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you don't really need a raspberry pi if you already have a computer you can just connect it to a tv and run emulators on that. The only downside is the pcs bigger but it's going to be able to emulate more stuff then a Rasberry pi.

Already have a PC, but it's not the same IMO, and I'm nowhere near an HDTV, I'd have to move my PC downstairs and that'd be a royal pain. Maybe I shouldn't have made this thread then, no? What if I want one despite having a PC?

I don't know how to tell, as I've never owned an actual PS1. To me, the games sound just fine, but I'm not very sensitive to sound differences in games. I could try and compare between the Pi, Vita, and PS3, if you know one of those uses the interpolation method you want, but those are my only methods of playing PSX games.

It is hard to compare, indeed, but I do have a good example from an N64 emulator compared to the Wii U N64 emulator; real N64 uses Gaussian and Wii U uses linear,

Real N64/Project64 (uses Low Level Emulation for audio, more accurate), the same notes at the high end of the instruments sounds muffled/interpolated
https://filetrip.net/view?r6wwd6QDbD

Wii U N64, for some reason, uses Linear interpolation, the wind instrument a few seconds in at the high note sound really raspy
https://filetrip.net/view?K6QoC2uKOa

What PSX should sound like is the top MP3, not bottom one, it should help gauge on accuracy. Why linear is used in the Wii U N64 (and Not64) is anyone's guess, but it's also what PSX sounded like in those YT videos :P

I can create some more samples using a PSX emu on my PC too :D

Last edited by the_randomizer,

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Already have a PC, but it's not the same IMO, and I'm nowhere near an HDTV, I'd have to move my PC downstairs and that'd be a royal pain. Maybe I shouldn't have made this thread then, no? What if I want one despite having a PC?

It is hard to compare, indeed, but I do have a good example from an N64 emulator compared to the Wii U N64 emulator; real N64 uses Gaussian and Wii U uses linear,

Real N64/Project64 (uses Low Level Emulation for audio, more accurate), the same notes at the high end of the instruments sounds muffled/interpolated
https://filetrip.net/view?r6wwd6QDbD

Wii U N64, for some reason, uses Linear interpolation, the wind instrument a few seconds in at the high note sound really raspy
https://filetrip.net/view?K6QoC2uKOa

What PSX should sound like is the top MP3, not bottom one, it should help gauge on accuracy. Why linear is used in the Wii U N64 (and Not64) is anyone's guess, but it's also what PSX sounded like in those YT videos :P

I can create some more samples using a PSX emu on my PC too :D
btw youre gonna want a case and a fan as it heats up during intense emulation (so about $7-$10 for a good case and probably a household fan or a $5-$10 one for the rpi specificly)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw youre gonna want a case and a fan as it heats up during intense emulation (so about $7-$10 for a good case and probably a household fan or a $5-$10 one for the rpi specificly)

What about the ones that come with heatsinks? I thought we only needed those if we overclocked? Also I'm looking on the Lakka site and for the emulator ratings, Snes9x Next only has a B, which means a lot of games aren't going to run full speed, This worries me greatly, since Snes9x Next is supposed to be the faster version, isn't it? Super FX, S-DD1, SA-1, this means special chip games are going to run incredibly choppy, ugh. I'm still on the fence, do you recommend a good case?

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
What about the ones that come with heatsinks? I thought we only needed those if we overclocked? Also I'm looking on the Lakka site and for the emulator ratings, Snes9x Next only has a B, which means a lot of games aren't going to run full speed, This worries me greatly, since Snes9x Next is supposed to be the faster version, isn't it? Super FX, S-DD1, SA-1, this means special chip games are going to run incredibly choppy, ugh. I'm still on the fence, do you recommend a good case?
theyres more on a board than just the cpu yknow the whole board heats up youre gonna need more than heatsinks (computers dont use heatsinks because they have the same problem but seeing as the rpi is an educational project it uses old hardware in everything)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theyres more on a board than just the cpu yknow the whole board heats up youre gonna need more than heatsinks (computers dont use heatsinks because they have the same problem but seeing as the rpi is an educational project it uses old hardware in everything)

Right, but at the same time, trying to get an SD card, on/off switch power adapter, case, board, it's gonna cost a lot more than I anticipated, even with the gift card credit... *sigh*.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...