Tech Job interview question

Kiaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to show them my pokemon sprite hack project as a graphic design, do you think they'll kick me out? :wtf:

Solution
It depends:

The sprites for Pokemon are readily available online, and as far as I'm aware, those sprites alone aren't illegal. Implementing the sprites in any sort of project without the express consent of GameFreak and Nintendo is very illegal though if you intend on using them in a way that earns you money. I don't think your potential employer would get you in legal trouble, but it would be a black mark against you if they were even considering hiring you.

It's best to go in with original work, as employers are more interested in seeing what you can do on your own without half the work done for you already. Design is half the battle when starting your own projects.

Really though, your portfolio should be fleshed out with only...

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It depends. What are they hiring you for? Flash banners? Don't show them. Sprites for a video game? WHY IS YOUR DS STILL IN YOUR POCKET?!?

Also, you might want to consider that the method of showing them the hack is borderline-illegal.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Don't risk it.
If you do, it will be something like this:

Employer: Thank you for your time, we will consider you.
Kiaku: But wait! You haven't seen how I broke US law by modifying this DS game here (*pulls out DS and flashcart*) See? Aren't these graphic hacks awesome?

See how bad that could turn out?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends:

The sprites for Pokemon are readily available online, and as far as I'm aware, those sprites alone aren't illegal. Implementing the sprites in any sort of project without the express consent of GameFreak and Nintendo is very illegal though if you intend on using them in a way that earns you money. I don't think your potential employer would get you in legal trouble, but it would be a black mark against you if they were even considering hiring you.

It's best to go in with original work, as employers are more interested in seeing what you can do on your own without half the work done for you already. Design is half the battle when starting your own projects.

Really though, your portfolio should be fleshed out with only original work. Avoid obvious borrowing of the work of others, and the employer will be far more willing to hire you. If all you can do is modify the work of others, what good are you to the company as a whole?

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY