Hacking Tanooki

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey hey, this is quite interesting! Hopefully I'll get a chance to use this sometime, cuz now I actually wanna beat the game without cheating or anything at all. Only problem is I have the attention span of a goldfish. I'll get to it eventually!

vashgs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiman123 said:
Keep up the great work vashgs & virus!

Thanks
smile.gif
New version with the requested region converter coming tomorrow (hopefully).

Scarfish

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Another request: edit the number of continues since that is keeping me from one star :S. I f*cked up in the beginning
tongue.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get all 5 stars using continues and shit.

from IGN--
* Star 1 - Beat the game (you can use Warp Cannons)
* Star 2 - Collect all 24 Star Coins in World 9
* Star 3 - Beat every "normal" level in the game,i.e., you don't need to find Secret Goals.
* Star 4 - Collect all 207 Star Coins in the first 8 Worlds
* Star 5 - Beat every level, find every secret goal and use all of the Warp Cannons.
* 5 "Sparkly" Stars - Get all five stars without making a Luigi Block appear (you cannot die 8 times in a row on a single level)

vashgs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
you can get all 5 stars using continues and shit.

from IGN--
* Star 1 - Beat the game (you can use Warp Cannons)
* Star 2 - Collect all 24 Star Coins in World 9
* Star 3 - Beat every "normal" level in the game,i.e., you don't need to find Secret Goals.
* Star 4 - Collect all 207 Star Coins in the first 8 Worlds
* Star 5 - Beat every level, find every secret goal and use all of the Warp Cannons.
* 5 "Sparkly" Stars - Get all five stars without making a Luigi Block appear (you cannot die 8 times in a row on a single level)

Maybe I'll look into the stars as well. New version later tonight, hopefully.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
So I was messing around with the level numbering in the .dol file and took a look at the savefile data. This might be useful for you to add to 1.2. I'm not sure whether you can use these offsets directly (I'm using a savefile taken from Dolphin) but searching for 0000 0017 0000 0017 0000 0037 in a 100% completed file should find it.

This is the data for which levels you've unlocked and which star coins you've obtained. Each world's data is 0xA8 bytes long.

World 1: 0x70C
World 2: 0x7B4
World 3: 0x85C
World 4: 0x904
World 5: 0x9AC
World 6: 0xA54
World 7: 0xAFC
World 8: 0xBA4
World 9: 0xC4C

Each of these contains an int for each one of 42 level slots:
1-9: X-1 to X-9
21: Ghost House
22: Tower
24: Castle
26-29: Toad Houses
33-35: Enemy Attack Levels
36: Warp Cannon
38: Doomship
40: Title Screen
41: Peach's Castle
42: Credits

Each value is a bitfield with these values:
0x20: Secret exit cleared
0x10: Normal exit cleared
0x4: Third star coin collected
0x2: Second star coin collected
0x1: First star coin collected

I haven't seen any other data, except one weird thing - level 39 in each world has apparently been cleared (both normal exit and secret exit) - but there is no level 39. I'd test it out but editing the savefile manually breaks the checksum and the game refuses to load it.

vashgs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treeki said:
So I was messing around with the level numbering in the .dol file and took a look at the savefile data. This might be useful for you to add to 1.2. I'm not sure whether you can use these offsets directly (I'm using a savefile taken from Dolphin) but searching for 0000 0017 0000 0017 0000 0037 in a 100% completed file should find it.

This is the data for which levels you've unlocked and which star coins you've obtained. Each world's data is 0xA8 bytes long.

World 1: 0x70C
World 2: 0x7B4
World 3: 0x85C
World 4: 0x904
World 5: 0x9AC
World 6: 0xA54
World 7: 0xAFC
World 8: 0xBA4
World 9: 0xC4C

Each of these contains an int for each one of 42 level slots:
1-9: X-1 to X-9
21: Ghost House
22: Tower
24: Castle
26-29: Toad Houses
33-35: Enemy Attack Levels
36: Warp Cannon
38: Doomship
40: Title Screen
41: Peach's Castle
42: Credits

Each value is a bitfield with these values:
0x20: Secret exit cleared
0x10: Normal exit cleared
0x4: Third star coin collected
0x2: Second star coin collected
0x1: First star coin collected

I haven't seen any other data, except one weird thing - level 39 in each world has apparently been cleared (both normal exit and secret exit) - but there is no level 39. I'd test it out but editing the savefile manually breaks the checksum and the game refuses to load it.

I just have the option to clear every level with all 3 star coins. I've looked into the format and I've decided that the perfectionists have no place using a cheat anyway. Might as well have all or none.

Edit: Very useful information, though. Had to throw that in there. It sounded a little rude. Thanks for your contribution.

vashgs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TobiasAmaranth said:
All or none? What a dumb viewpoint. :\ What about future support for savefiles with mods?

I fail to see how it's a "dumb viewpoint" when we're on the 'all' side.

Why would a savefile have mods? The savefile injection was something Virus created as an alternative to ISO manipulation. Treeki has yet to announce his plans for avoiding ISO manipulation. If a similar method is used, it would not affect the proper functionality of Tanooki.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you meant by "mods". It seemed a little vague to me.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Full game mods, that actually change the number of levels and which levels are used. When that sort of thing is done, save files won't be all that compatible. So allowing for more flexibility allows for more testing and lets people who fail at the harder mods to manually clear levels, or alternatively, unclear levels. The use is semi-limited, but nonetheless useful.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TobiasAmaranth said:
Full game mods, that actually change the number of levels and which levels are used. When that sort of thing is done, save files won't be all that compatible. So allowing for more flexibility allows for more testing and lets people who fail at the harder mods to manually clear levels, or alternatively, unclear levels. The use is semi-limited, but nonetheless useful.

You sir are a major dumbass. This program will work on any version of New Super Mario Bros Wii, all Reggie does is edit levels, not the save file at all. Reggie has no reason to edit the save file because all it clearly does is what this program edits. Reggie is a level editor. You don't need to be a programmer or nerd about the wii to know this. Its common sense. I still do not see where you are getting the "semi-limited" from.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
crwys said:
TobiasAmaranth said:

You sir are a major dumbass. This program will work on any version of New Super Mario Bros Wii, all Reggie does is edit levels, not the save file at all. Reggie has no reason to edit the save file because all it clearly does is what this program edits. Reggie is a level editor. You don't need to be a programmer or nerd about the wii to know this. Its common sense. I still do not see where you are getting the "semi-limited" from.

You (crwys) actually failed.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Uhh.... right, anyway, I'm not referring to Reggie only. People are editing stuff like the world map, and we've been working on REing the game to enable additional levels beyond what the game uses by default. THAT sort of action is what might cause save file conflicts. The level loader program that's in development has the power to do edits to more than just levels as well.

vashgs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TobiasAmaranth said:
Uhh.... right, anyway, I'm not referring to Reggie only. People are editing stuff like the world map, and we've been working on REing the game to enable additional levels beyond what the game uses by default. THAT sort of action is what might cause save file conflicts. The level loader program that's in development has the power to do edits to more than just levels as well.

That's unfortunate. I'll talk to Treeki about his project if I'm concerned with any conflicting saves. He'll give me the direct answers I need. Unless you restructure the save format (which is truly unnecessary), there should never be any problems with Tanooki and "modded" saves.

Now, if you were to include "extra" levels and the save file were used, there's nothing stopping you (the Reggie! team) from adding onto the length of the save file. A word of warning, however: Savegame Installer (or Manager) does not replace the old save with the new. It only overwrites up to the size of the new save. If you were to go the route of pointer editing and using the save as a means of loading levels, be warned that getting a clean save would require a custom save installer. In our time experimenting with the game, we found that using the save for extra levels, while extremely clever, isn't the best way to expand the game. I'm sure Treeki will come up with his own clever way of doing things.

If the path of restructuring the save is taken (to encorporate extra levels into the current mapping for star coins, secret endings, completion, etc.) I don't think I'll take the time to recode Tanooki to accommodate for your choice. Regardless, I can't wait to see how you plan on doing all of this without touching the ISO image.

vashgs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 1.2 released with experimental Stage-To-Save level injection system. This system allows you to use custom levels without ever touching the ISO image. Just something we thought we'd throw in, as it involves the save file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: