Taboola ads? Are you serious?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Who in their right mind has decided that Taboola is the right ad provider for this website? Their ads are entirely based on deceitful clickbait and I only ever see these on bottom of the barrel news websites. One of the deceitful tactics is tracking your location and slapping them in these idiotic clickbait headlines. The site was doing fine enough with google ads. Sheesh.
Post automatically merged:

Trying these pathetic stunts on the community isn't gonna get you more Patreon subscribers, it's gonna give you more deleted accounts and lesser sign-up rates. Why would someone want to be on a forum with scammy clickbait?

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just wish websites, forums, etc would just pay their own server costs, like any other monthly/annual bills you have. Then we wouldn't need to rely on ads at all. Relying on ad revenue to pay your server costs isn't a good model at all. Otherwise everyone should just start showing ads all over their home's exterior to pay their electric bills, ads on their cars to pay for their car loans, etc... You see how ridiculous this can get.
I don't really understand that comparison.
Do your offer the electricity, car, house, internet connection and so on you pay to anybody? So others can use things you pay for free of charge?

A website (forum) open for the general public to profit from must still be payed. Of course some rich person could just rent server access and provide it just for fun. If you are not a wealthy person in the background, you will become unable to handle server costs from your own pocket relatively fast (depending on the needed data quota).

Unfortunately the majority thinks it is a good idea to offer things "free" (advertising is a form of payment) instead of sticking a price tag to it. If you put a price tag on something, people will move to another place, where the same things (services) are "free" (funded by ads).

Reactions: Costello

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just wish websites, forums, etc would just pay their own server costs, like any other monthly/annual bills you have. Then we wouldn't need to rely on ads at all. Relying on ad revenue to pay your server costs isn't a good model at all. Otherwise everyone should just start showing ads all over their home's exterior to pay their electric bills, ads on their cars to pay for their car loans, etc... You see how ridiculous this can get.
So ask Costello for the bill?

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quote from the admin of the site to give you insite.
Just to let you know we don't take decisions like this lightly but we have seen an incredible 70-80% drop in performance from our regular ads so unfortunately this was a necessary addition to avoid closing the site.

With a site this big, its prob too much for it to be ad-less just as a fyi. and too be honest the ecomomy is kinda expensive right now

Reactions: shaunj66

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.