Homebrew RELEASE systemshock - Shockolate

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The problem is that the game was written to use interrupts. When the port to SDL was made the SDL_PollEvent in a loop happens in the main loop. There is a queue, but it queues in the same thread very inefficiently. What I did was limit the number of events that can happen in a single loop and flush the rest out. Im attaching another experimental that is slightly different. The real fix would be to make the queue threadsafe and g the events from another thread.

It's also possible this is a red herring and Im chasing the wrong thing.
The last built makes the issue worse :c

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made it better for me, odd. Though I was just spinning around in a circle on the start screen. Using a value of 2000 for the rstick modifier and not trying to do anything else really.

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
What I did was limit the number of events that can happen in a single loop and flush the rest out. Im attaching another experimental that is slightly different. The real fix would be to make the queue threadsafe and g the events from another thread.
New version is a liiiittle bit better, mostly 'cause of a faster right stick movements I guess... Hope for a proper definitive silky-smooth solution. :)

Thank you for your efforts, though.

Last edited by mathew77,

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
@capsterx
Hmm, I guess I found out another nasty bug: there's no voice in audio logs, at all. For example, Rebecca and Shodan's voices are completely missing in the Email section of the Multimedia Data reader.

---

@capsterx
One more possible bug was found: after the dead of the main character, the game just crashes with: "The software was closed because an error occurred".

Last edited by mathew77,

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@capsterx
Hmm, I guess I found out another nasty bug: there's no voice in audio logs, at all. For example, Rebecca and Shodan's voices are completely missing in the Email section of the Multimedia Data reader.

---

@capsterx
One more possible bug was found: after the dead of the main character, the game just crashes with: "The software was closed because an error occurred".

The voice is likely because it can either do midi or voice, I'll have to look into that to switch for that section.

Is the crashing of when you die new or did the original version do it also?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The voice is likely because it can either do midi or voice, I'll have to look into that to switch for that section.

Is the crashing of when you die new or did the original version do it also?

See if this fixes the email sound issue. It also has some experimental mouse code.

Also, if you could send me a save file where you are alive but about to die that would help. I've never played past the first screen.

Attachments

• sshock.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: mathew77

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
The mouse is worse now.. It's rushing so mad. :)

Also, there is a crash of the entire game everytime when I playing an audio logfile, with the new release.

See if this fixes the email sound issue. It also has some experimental mouse code.
Here's a savefile to test the death crash:

Attachments

• deathcrash_save_ss.zip
    1 MB · Views: 95
Last edited by mathew77,

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

See if this works, the bug has to do with not being able to have raw sfx effects and the sdl mixer open at the same time. This build also includes experimental mouse code.

Attachments

• sshock.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 94
Reactions: mathew77

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
@capsterx
Now voice messages works, but try that: open the voice log, play it, wait for 2-3 sec and then stop it while it still playing (just open another section instead of Multimedia Data reader gadget). The game crashes. :(

..But the mouse moves are better than ever!
Maybe, you can limit it's maximum speed of the cursor a little bit more, it doesn't need that superfast speed in the end of it's acceleration IMHO.

Last edited by mathew77,

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What value are you using for
Code:
RSTICK_MOTION_MODIFIER=
Because it still feels stuck'ish for me :/

The experimental one does not use the RSTICK_MOTION_MODIFIER, it's a set of acceleration code based on how far you have it pressed and time, im still working on it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@capsterx
Now voice messages works, but try that: open the voice log, play it, wait for 2-3 sec and then stop it while it still playing (just open another section instead of Multimedia Data reader gadget). The game crashes. :(

How do I get to the voice log...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMSPaHhmbI +1