Switch RetroArch doesn't have Arcade (MAME - Current) core

Tomtani1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have RetroArch v1.15.0 on my Nintendo Switch. The built-in Online Updater does not have the Arcade (MAME - Current) core. Is there a way that I can download it separately and add it manually?

Tomtani1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both of those on my Switch, MAME 2003+ core and FBNeo standalone. I wanted the (MAME - Current) core to run newer MAME added roms.

The RetroArch cores for the Nintendo Switch have the file name with extension "_libretro_libnx.nro" as apposed to the normal Windows "_libretro.dll".

Last edited by Tomtani1,

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would also like to be able to get Mame Current on Switch. Some of my roms only work with this core.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure many ports of mame have been updated past core version 139 (really long time ago now), so grab a 139 set for your things to work. MAME is a low level emulator, favoring accuracy over speed, so it slows down as it progresses, not speed up. I'm not sure you'd really want the latest running on your switch... but I suppose you could try a linux build on your switch...

Edit: Ouch. A quick Google tells me that 0.72 is the version that was ported to the Switch. MAME4Droid is 139u1. I built that for IOS at one point to mess around a bit on my iPAD PRO. After figuring out how to convert my Killer Instinct chd to the 139 version so it would run, it wasn't really fast enough, although amusing.

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: Reploid

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not on there for a reason, probably because it can't run the newer arcade roms, not on the main OS anyway.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not on there for a reason, probably because it can't run the newer arcade roms, not on the main OS anyway.
Well some Dreamcast & PSP 3D fighters are perfectly emulated on Switch, so why not 2000's Arcade games as well ? I was able to run Atatsuki Blitzkampf at full speed, it's 2D but it's a 2007 game...

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well some Dreamcast & PSP 3D fighters are perfectly emulated on Switch, so why not 2000's Arcade games as well ? I was able to run Atatsuki Blitzkampf at full speed, it's 2D but it's a 2007 game...

Emulation isn't just about raw power as you've been told already. PC has plenty of 2000 arcades that aren't even emulated yet, and is PC more powerful than Switch? Obviously.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, MAME is a low level emulator. It favors accuracy, and tries to faithfully emulate every part of the machines as possible. Sound chip, memory, cpu, video hardware, security hardware, chips that simply hold a color palette… this is all done by your cpu. In reality, its main purpose is to document hardware. Being able to run the games just proves where/that the documentation is accurate… and where something either isn’t, or may be missing a piece of the puzzle.

Any other emulator simply tries to translate the system calls to use YOUR hardware (your cpu, your sound hardware, your video hardware). HUUUUGE difference.

upgrade your PC’s video card from something in the 2000s to a 4090. MAME isn’t going to run much better at all. Then upgrade from. 2.4ghz pentium CPU to something modern… magic happens!

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok