Hardware switch microphone only (audio through tv)

souler92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
someone knows a way of using a microphone and getting audio through tv.

i have this "cheapish" mic only. if i plug it in the switch turns to headset mode, yet the mic does not respond (in fortnite)
20180630_175815.jpg

Last edited by souler92,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's normal as that's just a normal 3.5mm sound jack that needs to be connected to a mic-in port...

Probably this will work for connecting to PC headsets or that mic+headphones
517ytus6nIL._SY355_.jpg

But I have 0 clues if the console outputs to TV when a headphone is connected, I never tested the dock its still wrapped in the box...

Reactions: aykay55

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the Switch automatically switches both the mic and audio to the 3.5mm jack when something is plugged into it, regardless of the device. I don't think there is anyway to circumvent this. In other news, why not just use a gaming headset, or a pair of earbuds with a mic from the dollar store?

souler92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i tried that dual port, but it only contains 3 plug. so L R and ground, no mic.

like i said i want souns through tv and just a seperate mic

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the switch supports USB Soundcards (not 100% of em but a majority) and a splattering of USB Headsets, i dont have the space (atm i couldnt be arsed to swap my 128GB RetroPie image reduce and put it on the 32GB SD i got for my switch just for extra space. ) to redownload Fortnite to test the USB Soundcard i have (but it Does work i do get the USB Icon when plugge din and get sound.)

Melanie169

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking into the same thing, did the audio/mic splitter work? I enjoy the chat feature on fortnite but me and my husband both play so we would like to both hear whats going on in the game over the tv speakers. Nintendo switch does not do a great job explaining. Please let me know. Thanks.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the PS4 speaker\mic or one from phones you can try and see if it works in the Switch.

I think I read a post somewhere on this forum that someone had it working, but didn't like the sound quality from Switch so he was looking for a soundcard...

souler92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm looking into the same thing, did the audio/mic splitter work? I enjoy the chat feature on fortnite but me and my husband both play so we would like to both hear whats going on in the game over the tv speakers. Nintendo switch does not do a great job explaining. Please let me know. Thanks.

sorry i forgot this topic...

but yes it worked, i got the audio /mic splitter and hooked a microphpne into the seperated mic jack. the only problem with this mic i have is static noise and a high sensitivity because of the cheapness (2 dollar mic..)

but it works, audio worls on tv with an audio aux to the tv

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess thats also a bit Nintendo's fault as they have no options 4 it right? On PS4 4 example I have to adjust differently to each microphone I use.

I also have a nice Creative soundcard that has a option to chose microphone at high-mid-low level of amplification, but since I don't care to connect my Switch to my TV, I wouldnt even bother testing if it works in it (however it uses optical cable for 5.1 surround sound which can be connected to the TV and then uses the USB as a USB soundcard for the microphone).

I have another 2.0 Creative soundcard from USB only, but that one didnt work on the PS4, I bet it will also not work on the Switch...

Melanie169

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought an audio/mic splitter but as soon as I plug it into the nintendo switch I get no audio from the tv. So does anyone know a way to get in-game audio through the tv speakers while using mic only not headset?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I bought an audio/mic splitter but as soon as I plug it into the nintendo switch I get no audio from the tv. So does anyone know a way to get in-game audio through the tv speakers while using mic only not headset?
Plug an aux cable from the splitter into the TV like OP did. Your TV may or may not support this for HDMI.
The thing is, the Switch has no way to tell what's plugged into the 3.5mm jack. It just knows something is plugged in and mutes the TV output. Would be nice if it was made an option not to mute the TV when something is plugged in to the headphone jack, but currently I don't think that's possible.

Reactions: Melanie169

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright