• Replies 49
  • Likes 2

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayman was really that big? I feel like Castlevania is a bigger platforming entity (at least in the 8-bit/16/bit era) than Rayman. SNES had Super Castlevania IV. While I reminded myself of Castlevania, it'd be awesome if Switch had such a title that went back to basics, no Metroidvania stuff.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not sure on the exact timing, but I think I remember playing Rayman on PC around the same time as the SNES era.
I remember playing it on PS1. (2D Rayman I mean)
If I remember correctly, the game was originally released on one of those weird 32 bit consoles... 3DO perhaps.

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was originally released on Atari Jaguar... so a "64 bits" (do the math edition) game actually /s

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayman doesn't belong in the same breath as Mario or Sonic. If you are talking about the SNES era Better Choices would be Donkey Kong, Earth Worm Jim, Saberwolf, Ryu, Raiden, Mega man, Terry Bogard, Battletoads, Shaq, Power ranger, Bonk, Simon Belmont, Strider, well you get the idea. I Though Rayman was mostly on GBA wasn't it? I always though of Rayman as a beautiful clone. Looked nice but not much groundbreaking stuff ever in a Rayman game. Kinda boring...

Reactions: Subtle Demise

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you are talking about the SNES era Better Choices would be Donkey Kong, Earth Worm Jim , Saberwolf, Ryu, Raiden, Mega man, Terry Bogard, Battletoads, Shaq, Power ranger, Bonk, Simon Belmont, Strider, well you get the idea.
Groooovy.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rayman doesn't belong in the same breath as Mario or Sonic. If you are talking about the SNES era Better Choices would be Donkey Kong, Earth Worm Jim, Saberwolf, Ryu, Raiden, Mega man, Terry Bogard, Battletoads, Shaq, Power ranger, Bonk, Simon Belmont, Strider, well you get the idea. I Though Rayman was mostly on GBA wasn't it? I always though of Rayman as a beautiful clone. Looked nice but not much groundbreaking stuff ever in a Rayman game. Kinda boring...
Most of those you mention were already on SNES. Early on, Rayman was one of the big flagship mascots like Mario and Sonic. The first Rayman games played uniquely too, kinda like Plok.

I like Earthworm Jim too, but he played second fiddle to Sonic back in the day. Not to mention that Mario, Sonic, and Rayman have all continued to get new installments where Earthworm Jim has not.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Sonic technically qualifies here. Sonic was still on Sega hardware during the "age of the SNES". There was no official SNES Sonic game. I would instead use Metroid instead of Sonic. If you meant to include non Nintendo software, you should have titled your thread:

"Switch is soon to have all of the 'Big Three' IPs from the 16-bit era" as that would have been generalized enough to include the other 16-bit consoles. ;)

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think Sonic technically qualifies here. Sonic was still on Sega hardware during the "age of the SNES". There was no official SNES Sonic game. I would instead substitute Sonic for Metroid.
But that wouldn't qualify, as the idea is those IPs that weren't together in one console.
Because of this I would suggest Commander Keen instead.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Sonic technically qualifies here. Sonic was still on Sega hardware during the "age of the SNES". There was no official SNES Sonic game. I would instead substitute Sonic for Metroid. If you meant to include non Nintendo software, you should have titled your thread:

"Switch is soon to have all of the 'Big Three' IPs from the 16-bit era" as that would have been generalized enough to include the other 16-bit consoles. ;)
Eh, semantics. I intentionally included three different mascots for three different early systems/three different developers. It was all during the SNES era anyway. I only call it that because IMO SNES won. It didn't edge out Genesis by a lot, though.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, right you are. Still, many of those games feel like trimmed down versions of the originals, and obviously displays have improved drastically since then.
I dunno about that. The Mario Advance series (though SNES ports) was legit. Sonic Advance was a solid 2D sonic entry (didn't play the sequels). Didn't play GBA Rayman, but the GBC one felt like a full game.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would how would anybody consider Rayman a flagship mascot? Mario was Nintendo's mascot. Sonic was sega's mascot Rayman was just a game. Not a flagship mascot for any particular system.

During the during the Super Nintendo era it was Super Nintendo, Genesis, Turbo grafx 16. The third character should be Bonk.

Genisis does what Nintendon't.

Last edited by mikefor20,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no Donkey Kong Country, Zelda or Star Fox on that list.
During the entire early 90s, which was the Super Nintendo era, there was only one non-portable Home console version of Zelda that's why I did not include link or Zelda. The Zelda franchise is more of a treat not a flagship. I did include Donkey Kong I did not specify country. Star Fox on the Super Nintendo, while very cool, I do not feel was a flagship game so much. I assumed OP were talking about the era not just the Super Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.