• Views 3,700
  • Replies 49
  • Likes 2

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we've got the GBA having Mario, Sonic, and Rayman. The Gamecube having Mario, Sonic, and Rayman. The Wii having Mario, Sonic, and Rayman. The Wii U having Mario, Sonic, and Rayman. ... why do we care that the Switch is getting the three of them? Heck, this Rayman is a previous gen port.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of those systems had Rayman, Pac Man, Bubsy, etc etc. During the Super Nintendo age, Sonic was only on Sega systems and Mario was only on Nintendo systems. That's a "Flagship Character". That's Why Rayman shouldn't be on the list and Bonk should. It was Genesis vs SNES Vs. TG16. I remember. I was there.

Flagship characters were classy, One system types. Rayman is everybody's bitch.

Last edited by mikefor20,

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

KSxsG9M.gif

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dunno about that. The Mario Advance series (though SNES ports) was legit. Sonic Advance was a solid 2D sonic entry (didn't play the sequels). Didn't play GBA Rayman, but the GBC one felt like a full game.
Fair enough. The GBA remains one of the greatest portables of all time, so it's probably appropriate that this site is named after it. :D

I guess I should instead say it's good to have all the modern versions of these games on a single system.

Last edited by Xzi,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. The GBA remains one of the greatest portables of all time, so I guess it's appropriate that this site is named after it. :D

GBA Roms were traded here originally. Bonk was the queen I should have said. I forgot about the Pc-Engine version of Bonk 3 putting him in drag and blowing kisses.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bubsy sucked, but he was a multi system, generic platformer. Just like Rayman. My big gripe is including Rayman in a list of the "BIG 3" anything. He was a mediocre clone. And in the SNES age the other king was Bonk..

You had him next to Pac-Man though. I only played the original, but I know Pac-Man was in a platformer or two, but still. And I played Rayman on N64, I think it was 2, a colored cartridge I remember. It was pretty fun.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You had him next to Pac-Man though. I only played the original, but I know Pac-Man was in a platformer or two, but still. And I played Rayman on N64, I think it was 2, a colored cartridge I remember. It was pretty fun.

I had him with Pac-Man because Pac-Man's another good example of a video game character that's on every single system ever made pretty much. Although Pac-Man was Atari's Flagship character. Maybe a poor example in this case. Since Pac-Man actually was a flagship character. Rayman is just a game character. Like any other game.

Reactions: paulttt

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had him with Pac-Man because Pacman's another good example of a video game character that's on every single system ever made pretty much. Although Pac-Man was Ataris Flagship character. maybe a poor example.

In that case, beyond platformers, I feel a "big 3" candidate is Street Fighter 2. SNES era, was on every system, even Game Boy. Also, I just remembered, Rayman over Mega Man? Rayman didn't have this classic moment.

JIga43a.jpg

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case, beyond platformers, I feel a "big 3" candidate is Street Fighter 2. SNES era, was on every system, even Game Boy. Also, I just remembered, Rayman over Mega Man? Rayman didn't have this classic moment.

JIga43a.jpg

No dude, the 'Big Three' IPs from the SNES era. During 1990-1996 or so (the SNES age). There were Sega, Nintendo and NEC. They were the BIG players. Third parties were second class. Ninty had Mario, SEGA had Sonic, NEC had Bonk. Capcom was/is big, SFII was HUGE no doubt. Mega man too, In my list a ways back I included Ryu and Megaman.. BOTH better choices than Rayman. That being said the big 3 companies of the day were Sega NEC and Nintendo. Making Bonk the obvoius choice over Rayman. Rayman sucks.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No dude, the 'Big Three' IPs from the SNES era. During 1990-1996 or so (the SNES age). There were Sega, Nintendo and NEC. They were the BIG players. Third parties were second class. Ninty had Mario, SEGA had Sonic, NEC had Bonk. Capcom was/is big, SFII was HUGE no doubt. Mega man too, In my list a ways back I included Ryu and Megaman.. BOTH better choices than Rayman. That being said the big 3 companies of the day were Sega NEC and Nintendo. Making Bonk the obvoius choice over Rayman. Rayman sucks.
Nec... Mmmm....
I don't remember the PCE/TGFX16 being popular at all in any place outside Japan.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was definitely on the bottom of the Heap in America but it was still a viable system. And in a lot of places more popular than the other guys. A lot of places in Europe had huge followings as well. Still do. First one with a CD player the first cross-platform handheld with TV tuner. There was tons of good stuff. Very popular.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
People got way more precise/technical with the title than I intended. Unfortunate. :P

EDIT: For me, Rayman was representative of PC at the time if simply for the reason that I played it on a community center's Windows PC, and it was the first time I had seen something like that. I had played DOS games on our home computer before, but that's all. Of course, as I got older and got a N64, PSX, GCN, built my own PC, etc, I would've retroactively said Gordon Freeman is the PC. Then again, Rayman and even Warcraft came well before. I feel as though Ubisoft wasn't as shit back then, but a lot of people seem to like most of their newer releases too. Rayman (Win95) probably holds up pretty well depending on how high you can set the resolution.

Last edited by Xzi,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was definitely on the bottom of the Heap in America but it was still a viable system. And in a lot of places more popular than the other guys. A lot of places in Europe had huge followings as well. Still do. First one with a CD player the first cross-platform handheld with TV tuner. There was tons of good stuff. Very popular.
I agree it had some Rondo of Blood awesome stuff.
It is only I don't remember it being popular back in the day.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew a lot of people who were into the tg16. It was the best if you wanted RPG's. I know it wasn't as popular as the other two systems. Definitely more popular than the Neo Geo. Bonk had a cartoon, cereal, comic book and toys. and was the flagship mascot of a system... Rayman had none of those things that I recall.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no those are not the big ips from the snes era, your forgetting exclusive square enix games like final fantasy 3/6,chrono trigger, and not fake final fantasy like Chrystal chronicles...., you are forgetting 2d side scrolling contra and castlevania, 2d mega man 7,x1-3. Kirby, metroid will be on it at least, fzero, star fox, gradius series, r-type series, radian series.. Real mario rpg, not rabbids.. The list goes on.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no those are not the big ips from the snes era, your forgetting exclusive square enix games like final fantasy 3/6,chrono trigger, and not fake final fantasy like Chrystal chronicles...., you are forgetting 2d side scrolling contra and castlevania, 2d mega man 7,x1-3. Kirby, metroid will be on it at least, fzero, star fox, gradius series, r-type series, radian series.. Real mario rpg, not rabbids.. The list goes on.

No, I'm talking in terms of flagship characters. Big 3. Not anything that ever ha a sequel. My selection stands. Mario , Sonic, Bonk. 90-96(the SNES lifespan).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, I'm talking in terms of flagship characters. Big 3. Not anything that ever ha a sequel. My selection stands. Mario , Sonic, Bonk. 90-96(the SNES lifespan).
rayman and bonk were never that big on the snes era, rayman became really well known when rayman 2 came along so i dont consider it a big hit during snes era, and bonk couldnt even make his own console suceed lol

the major 3 snes ips imo are donkey kong country,mario, then zelda or street fighter imo.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well Mario and Rayman, that's a yes from me... but Sonic? Maybe because I never played a single SEGA console... All I know about them is because of emulation, and still, it doesn't make me feel a thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse