Supercard DSTWO SDK ready for developers!

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Not really too confident about PS1 emulation - doesn't the PSP have an advantage in that field because it has a similar architecture and was built with playing PSX games in mind? Seem to remember last time I tried PC based PS1 emulation it was a bit crappy and I'm pretty sure my PC was of a much higher spec. Saying that, my old Pentium2-300MHz with a Voodoo card used to run some N64 games flawlessly, guess it depends on how well the emulator is coded as much as the raw power of the system doing the emulating.

I had an emulator that would run psx games on a Pentium 200mmx with a Voodoo card that emu was using the glide for the card that was setup like the call for 3d on the psx. It might be able to be done with this card but would be ruff the psp had used a hacked download from $ony that did the first emu on the psp.

would be great if someone using the sdk would make a avi movie player before they release the one that was suppose to be out with the card I will not even think about buying this card until the complete that feature

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You know personally, it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out someone ends up using the SDK to provide a better SNES emulator than the Supercard Team's official emulator.
Or that Darkchen maybe picking the GBA emulator back up from where the Team left off after improving the iPlayer version.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ferofax said:
...wow, they're giving the homebrewers full rein, eh? i hope good things come out of this...

If it flourishes to a fruitful emulation scene like the Dingoo and GP2X provide, it will be very, VERY good for sales.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not everyone knows, but the PSP is actually dual core although the second core (the MediaEngine) only has limited access to the other hardware. Not all emulators take advantage of the second core as it's tricky to use, but it does mean it's unlikely for a PSX emulator to be full speed on the DSTWO although not impossible.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorrycostello said:
Not everyone knows, but the PSP is actually dual core although the second core (the MediaEngine) only has limited access to the other hardware. Not all emulators take advantage of the second core as it's tricky to use, but it does mean it's unlikely for a PSX emulator to be full speed on the DSTWO although not impossible.
It's also worth saying that an equal or greater clock speed does not mean the processor is faster, much of it depends on the architecture.

amiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It would be great if the sdk would work on the iplayer too, because we know it is practically the same hardware and same company.

Many people like me bought the iplayer when they launched the gba emu expecting more software using the more powerful cpu but more than one year later and there is nothing new for iplayer.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
amiga said:
It would be great if the sdk would work on the iplayer too, because we know it is practically the same hardware and same company.

Many people like me bought the iplayer when they launched the gba emu expecting more software using the more powerful cpu but more than one year later and there is nothing new for iplayer.
same hardware?no
same company?maybe

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
lolzed said:
amiga said:

same hardware?no
same company?maybe
Uhh, no. The SuperCard team developed both the iPlayer and the DSTWO, and the hardware is indeed very similar.

Read up on things before trying to post something, please. It's getting really old that people are 'correcting' someone, only to later find out that the other person's statement was in fact correct.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ellie said:
lolzed said:
amiga said:

same hardware?no
same company?maybe
Uhh, no. The SuperCard team developed both the iPlayer and the DSTWO, and the hardware is indeed very similar.

Read up on things before trying to post something, please. It's getting really old that people are 'correcting' someone, only to later find out that the other person's statement was in fact correct.
Though I'd really like proof that they really did make it.

also,epic explanations by mercluke himself
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=227938

Robyx91

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's like a dream, thanks you so much SuperCard Team!
bow.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
Some might say that they are 'lame' for having to rely on homebrew developers to provide optimal emulators and applications, some might be completely delighted by imagining what the community could come up with. What about you, what do you think? Is the cup half-full or half-empty?I think the cup is 3/4ths full and the tap is stuck on "on", we're going to need a few more cups for the awesomeness this can make.

Antoligy said:
We said that about the iPlayer SDK, all we got was an emulator that was ripped and is the USP of the SCDS2.IIRC there was no iPlayer SDK, so outside development did not exist. An SDK will allow outside development to exist, so even if the team stops giving updates (assuming the SDK is finalized before that) then homebrew/emulator support can still continue, like it does on the PSP even though none of the official firmware teams are releasing anything.

cory1492 said:
Is it just me, or is it kinda sad that flash carts are really that much more powerful/faster than the DS itself?The DS is about 5 and a half years old by now.

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Jul 30 2010, 07:32 AM) Not really too confident about PS1 emulation - doesn't the PSP have an advantage in that field because it has a similar architecture and was built with playing PSX games in mind?
Yup, though right now I can't find what instruction set the DSTwo uses, if it's ARM (which would make sense) then PS1 emulation might not be nearly as good as it is on the PSP.

QUOTE(boudincaca @ Jul 30 2010, 07:48 AM)
Actually the most amazing N64 emulator for PC is IMO Corn, it's amazingly fast and is 100% software based you don't need a 3D card, too bad his author have disappeared from the internet.
With PJ 64 I can play N64 games fine, in fact I can play Rush 2049 (which is marked "high requirement") fine as long as I keep AA/AF off and keep the game to 640x480. For normal stuff like Mario Kart 64 and such, I can up the resolution and keep those options on. I'm using an Athlon XP 2800+ with an integrated GeForce4 MX, too.

(There's a quote limit so I'll continue my reactions to the thread in another post.)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Paranoid Mouse Clicker said:
Think we'll see a beefed-up version of DSLinux?Dunno', from what I hear the iPlayer has an MMU so the DSTwo might as well (could be required for their in-game menus), that could mean running a version of linux with an actual GUI.
... also maybe windows 95.

Also, take into consideration the possibility of interpreted languages actually becoming a viable alternative to C or C++ on the DS.Now I've got ideas in my mind of using the DS as a low-powered local server.

PSPKvm, a complete J2ME implementation for the PSP. I use this daily on the PSP. Why? Opera mini advanced 4.How is it in comparison to the built-in web browser?

QUOTE(Veho @ Jul 30 2010, 12:36 PM) A working web browser would be neat.
Definitely, though I wonder if it'll surpass the DSi's built-in one, and what rendering engine they'll use, as it doesn't really make sense to make a new one. Idunno' which engines would be easiest to use and which would be the best-performing, though.

QUOTE(Innkeeper @ Jul 30 2010, 07:04 PM)
surely a sega cd emu
No, the Sega CD is really hard to emulate because it's not it's own device, it's two devices that work in tandem. The genesis has two processors, and the CD addon has one processor that's the same model as the genesis (but clocked higher) and it's own sound chip as well. Not only do you basically need to emulate a genesis at the same time as a higher-powered genesis, they both need to keep tight/exact timing and synchronization with each other.

(Again, to be continued.)

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
GreatCrippler said:
I kinda doubt we'll even see FX Chip SNES games at full speed.
I'm not sure on that, AFAIK the SuperFX chip is a glorified math co-processor acting as sort of a GPU.

(Heh, passed the limit by one quote.)
PSP can't even render Mode7 at full speed. Not too sure how the DS would handle it even with the DSTwo hardware

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: That boi burning up, gonna melt those snowflakes.