Supercard DSTWO SDK ready for developers!

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tuddy666 said:
Mbmax said:
Why do this SDK stay private ?
Is there a reason ? Copyrighted stuff inside ?
The SDK itself is still a beta, but it's a semi-open beta: you can get it if you email the supercard team and ask for it; but they're obviously waiting until they deem the SDK to be complete for a 100% public release.
Well, i doubt they will give me that kind of stuff.
tongue.gif

Time will tell us if it's the reason.
wink.gif

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Makes me kinda wish I was still hacking around in DS land
tongue.gif

Is it just me, or is it kinda sad that flash carts are really that much more powerful/faster than the DS itself?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm excited about all the interesting new homebrew the SC2 is capable of, but a PS1 emulator is a bit much to ask for.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Berthenk said:
Mbmax said:
cory1492 said:
Is it just me, or is it kinda sad that flash carts are really that much more powerful/faster than the DS itself?
Yeah, until DSi mode get hacked.
smile.gif
Even then, the DSTWO and IPlayer are much more powerful than the DSi.
Agreed, but you needs power to run this extra CPU, don't you ?

Why not try to unleash the Dsi mode power first ?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Not really too confident about PS1 emulation - doesn't the PSP have an advantage in that field because it has a similar architecture and was built with playing PSX games in mind? Seem to remember last time I tried PC based PS1 emulation it was a bit crappy and I'm pretty sure my PC was of a much higher spec. Saying that, my old Pentium2-300MHz with a Voodoo card used to run some N64 games flawlessly, guess it depends on how well the emulator is coded as much as the raw power of the system doing the emulating.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
shakirmoledina said:
i guess AKAIO will make the most out of it due to experience... Normatt AND his team (DeSmuME and AKAIO is enuf exp)
Hey & what about Spinal & Soulanger ??? - I'd like to think they'll put in for a SC SDK Kit - just think what they could do to 'DSCovered' and 'MenuDo'

& while we're at it - it would be nice for Moonlight to 'come out of retirement' (or even release moonshell code) & we'll might get a better 'media player' (one that plays Music and videos) that uses the extra CPU of the DS2

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
BlueStar said:
Not really too confident about PS1 emulation - doesn't the PSP have an advantage in that field because it has a similar architecture and was built with playing PSX games in mind? Seem to remember last time I tried PC based PS1 emulation it was a bit crappy and I'm pretty sure my PC was of a much higher spec. Saying that, my old Pentium2-300MHz with a Voodoo card used to run some N64 games flawlessly, guess it depends on how well the emulator is coded as much as the raw power of the system doing the emulating.

The PSX emulator on PSP is fast because of the CPU architecture AND because it's made by Sony so they know the psx architecture at 100%.

For N64 it will be more hard, because I've heard N64 emulation is very floating point intensive... PSP have a FPU, Every intel X86 CPU have one since 486,

But DS and almost every ARM CPU (DSTwo's CPU included) doesn't.

Actually the most amazing N64 emulator for PC is IMO Corn, it's amazingly fast and is 100% software based you don't need a 3D card, too bad his author have disappeared from the internet.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BoxShot said:
Ellie said:
So, technically, if one were to fake that he/she were a homebrew developer, he/she could just get a free DSTWO, no? Or does the SC team require some sort of proof that you have experience (perhaps show off one of your projects and prove that you are the true author)?

Anyhow, this is still great news and I hope that a great many homebrew developers will make use of this (so that the DS homebrew scene could at long last be more lively again).
Do you seriously think they would give you a SCDS2 without some proof in someway shape or form?

I will fake owner of MENUdo
ninja.gif

Nah, if i wanted a dstwo. i would not be at the apple store
frown.gif

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People forget that the Psp is composed of other parts besides the Cpu. . .

I sincerely don't expect a Ps1 emulator like the one on the psp.

Paranoid Mouse C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think we'll see a beefed-up version of DSLinux? I'm personally hoping for a drag&drop media player. Perhaps a more capable build of Moonshell, as if it wasn't awesome enough already. Boy, this is very exciting.

QUOTE said:
Some might say that they are 'lame' for having to rely on homebrew developers to provide optimal emulators and applications, some might be completely delighted by imagining what the community could come up with. What about you, what do you think? Is the cup half-full or half-empty?

Count me among those who are completely delighted.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have absolutely no beef with them having tp "depend" on third parties to get these emulators onto the DS, after all this is how the GP2X systems and the Dingoo A320 operate.
biggrin.gif

Paranoid Mouse C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, take into consideration the possibility of interpreted languages actually becoming a viable alternative to C or C++ on the DS.
Joyau, a complete ruby implementation for PSP is really awesome. With the advent of the SDK being released, maybe we'll see something similar.
PSPKvm, a complete J2ME implementation for the PSP. I use this daily on the PSP. Why? Opera mini advanced 4. Imagine the possibilities. Check out what Molej, Davr, and Tolus have done on lesser hardware.
We all know about various Lua builds. How awesome it would be to see them benefit from the DSTWO SDK.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Cortador said:
People forget that the Psp is composed of other parts besides the Cpu. . .

I sincerely don't expect a Ps1 emulator like the one on the psp.
then don't download it when it gets released on filetrip...
go play on your psp if you dobt ps1 will come...

on tpoic: im exited about this maybe will have a all in one firmware (when we can get moonshell to autoboot with xVid and other file formats and play roms aswell
tongue.gif
hrth.gif
)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The cat boy had no idea the Supercard Two was that powerful
blink.gif
I most say I am now impressed and glad Mike bought one for me
yay.gif
With a card that powerful, it does open up some serous opportunities for the DS and DSi, once in the right hands.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
boudincaca said:
The PSX emulator on PSP is fast because of the CPU architecture AND because it's made by Sony so they know the psx architecture at 100%.

For N64 it will be more hard, because I've heard N64 emulation is very floating point intensive... PSP have a FPU, Every intel X86 CPU have one since 486,

But DS and almost every ARM CPU (DSTwo's CPU included) doesn't.

Actually the most amazing N64 emulator for PC is IMO Corn, it's amazingly fast and is 100% software based you don't need a 3D card, too bad his author have disappeared from the internet.

Actually, there is no PSX emulator for the PSP that works at a reasonable speed. Sony's pops is not an emulator but more like a virtual machine or compatability layer. That is why Wine/Crossover and Virtualbox are so fast compared to Dosbox. Not to mention that xbox "emulator" that worked on a 1GHz system because it just translated XDK API calls into NT API calls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp