robal12345

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ok I do hope this is real but having played your mario kart mods i dont expect much. It is good how have managed to do these mods but they feel like they are missing that "something" maybe that something comes from the special nintendo touch. Anyway if it helps i know that a split screen 2 player was originally thought of for SMG2 now whether any code made its way into the final item is anybodys guess. Keep modding its good for others :)

Certainly with this mod, we're not going to be altering any of the levels. We're trying to imagine what Nintendo would've done if they had implemented a real multiplayer; we are definitely considering things like 'What would happen if one player spun the other, or jumped on their head, etc.', character interaction, powerup interaction... all that stuff. Trying to somewhat get that special Nintendo charm, or at least keep SMG2's original charm but extend it to multiplayer. Mario Kart wasn't really like that, we were aiming to make new challenges rather than preserving charm... but this one is different, as we're really interested in creating a truly fun multiplayer mode here.

Either way, we'll keep news posted and the like, and we'll keep up our modding, cause it's always great fun to do and very rewarding when you see others using/enjoying your work. And I promise, we won't disappoint!

Reactions: 2 people

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Just curious, how would Boss Battles and Level Changing work? How does the game KNOW which character events should respond to?

I'm very interested in this because I expected a 2P module for quite some time from Nintendo, but I guess you guys have to do all the work!

If this goes public a BIG HUG SHALL BE MADE! (and if you take donations...)

robal12345

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Just curious, how would Boss Battles and Level Changing work? How does the game KNOW which character events should respond to?

I'm very interested in this because I expected a 2P module for quite some time from Nintendo, but I guess you guys have to do all the work!

Boss battles will work as they usually do; they'll just have Mario and Luigi present in them, able to deal damage, etc. and the boss will aim for whoever is closest to it. As for dynamic levels, we can always snap the players together if one will become permanently stuck anywhere :P

And hey, we don't mind doing the work, it's an interesting project after all.

And, we accept hugs but not donations :P

Reactions: 1 person

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh

Boss battles will work as they usually do; they'll just have Mario and Luigi present in them, able to deal damage, etc. and the boss will aim for whoever is closest to it. As for dynamic levels, we can always snap the players together if one will become permanently stuck anywhere :P

And hey, we don't mind doing the work, it's an interesting project after all.

And, we accept hugs but not donations :P
So just to be clear: Do the bosses realize there is two entities or does the script just tell it "closer=Mario?"

robal12345

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
So just to be clear: Do the bosses realize there is two entities or does the script just tell it "closer=Mario?"

They don't know anything yet since we've not touched them, but they'll just receive the coordinates of whoever is closer on any given frame, then left to do what they usually do. There may be some exceptions if some boss battles really don't work correctly like that.

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wow. I can't wait for this mod to come out, I'm actually more excited for it than I am for SMG2.5. I wish you guys good luck.

Just one question: Did you already decide how you'll handle warp stars? Will they only work if both players use them at the same time? Or each player will be able to use them alone, leaving the other player behind?

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Far from me to sound pessimistic but all you've done here is copy the exact same video and pasted into a split screen video.

Not at all, sir. Pause the video at... 1:34, and check the positioning of the two starbits (right) and red bomb (left). Whichever way you look at it, they're clearly different, as the lower screen is trying to pan left. You'll also notice that the perspective in each shot is different, hence it cannot be a cloned image (see Mario's angle to the inverted Goomba).

As stated in the first post, the cameras are indeed wrong. However, the reason for showing them in the first place is to demonstrate that we do have 2 seperate renderings of the same world going on from different perspectives... albeit not much different.

Far from me to sound pessimistic but all you've done here is copy the exact same video and pasted into a split screen video.
The fact that there is Mario AND Luigi ON one screen is amzing enough for me.

robal12345

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Just one question: Did you already decide how you'll handle warp stars? Will they only work if both players use them at the same time? Or each player will be able to use them alone, leaving the other player behind?

We're undecided yet. The first priority is to determine whether or not the game has any problems if the two characters go wandering off to different planets via launch star (i.e. does the area unload, do the objects unload, etc.). If they do unload, then Mario and Luigi will have to travel in launch stars together, which is not exactly ideal. If there is no consequence however, I'd say it should be fine for one to shoot through a launch star while leaving the other behind, and I think that's how we'd design the multiplayer to play (considering how you can end up in places with a choice of two launch stars, etc.). Unless you have some other suggestions, which are always welcome!

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

We're undecided yet. The first priority is to determine whether or not the game has any problems if the two characters go wandering off to different planets via launch star (i.e. does the area unload, do the objects unload, etc.). If they do unload, then Mario and Luigi will have to travel in launch stars together, which is not exactly ideal. If there is no consequence however, I'd say it should be fine for one to shoot through a launch star while leaving the other behind, and I think that's how we'd design the multiplayer to play (considering how you can end up in places with a choice of two launch stars, etc.). Unless you have some other suggestions, which are always welcome!
I just have one suggestion, unrelated to warp stars. You probably already thought about it, but would it be feasible to give each player the ability to grab and carry the other player, like in NSMBW? I'm probably talking out of my ass, but maybe it would be possible to copy the Koopa shell's property of being grab-able by the player and assign it to the Mario and Luigi objects, so that each player can grab the other one. I think that a good way of implementing this feature design-wise would this: if P1 (player 1) "spin-attacks" P2 (player 2), his character will automatically grab him (like when you grab a shell by "spin-attacking" it), making P1 able to carry P2 around. Then the next time P1 waggles his Wiimote, his character will throw P2. It would work both ways: P2 would be able to grab and carry P1, too.

Reactions: 1 person

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh

I just have one suggestion, unrelated to warp stars. You probably already thought about it, but would it be feasible to give each player the ability to grab and carry the other player, like in NSMBW? I'm probably talking out of my ass, but maybe it would be possible to copy the Koopa shell's property of being grab-able by the player and assign it to the Mario and Luigi objects, so that each player can grab the other one. I think that a good way of implementing this feature design-wise would this: if P1 (player 1) "spin-attacks" P2 (player 2), his character will automatically grab him (like when you grab a shell by "spin-attacking" it), making P1 able to carry P2 around. Then the next time P1 waggles his Wiimote, his character will throw P2. It would work both ways: P2 would be able to grab and carry P1, too.

Which brings me back to boss battles... I would think that wouldn't work because if Mario/Luigi are listed/scripted as "koopa shell" entities... Then the boss will probably crash... That or of course MrBean35000vr will find a way!

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Which brings me back to boss battles... I would think that wouldn't work because if Mario/Luigi are listed/scripted as "koopa shell" entities... Then the boss will probably crash... That or of course MrBean35000vr will find a way!
I didn't mean to suggest to make the game list M/L as Koopa shells, what I was suggesting was to tweak their properties and behavior by giving them the Koopa shells' property of being grab-able when the player spins near them.

robal12345

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I didn't mean to suggest to make the game list M/L as Koopa shells, what I was suggesting was to tweak their properties and behavior by giving them the Koopa shells' property of being grab-able when the player spins near them.

It's quite the ambitious proposal, that's for sure. And I also get the sneaky suspicion that it just wouldn't be that easy to pull off, either :P

We shall have to see. I think doing that would be a hell of a lot of work, however cool it would be. Maybe if we're feeling generous we'll try to take on such a mammoth task... and if we have time for it.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope this mod works out :), I would like to see them either use 1 screen with 2 characters on it. Or 2 screens with cameras fixated on each character. Whichever is easiest to pull off is honestly what I think should be left in the final product. I can't imagine how long this might take, but it is really impressive.

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This mod look insanely amazing. To add a core feature such as this must took a load of brainpower. I am curious, how old are you? Anyway, i know dev hate when people ask this, but is there a rough eta? Next week, next month, or next year? Are you in need of beta testing btw for such an amazing project as this? I have two wiis laying in the attic that wouldn't mind being brick for testing. Thanks for the awesome work!

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
This is some awesome ish right here.....I can't wait to get my hands on this. I will most likely make a let's play of it. At the moment I am checking out your Mario Kart mod. My girlfriend will love both these projects.

PyroSpark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazing. Why couldn't nintendo just add this themselves and make a good game even better?...>_> Multiplayer is never a bad thing if the single player is focused on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: I fixed it, just uninstalled SDUSB