suggestions for game concept

hagsmire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so about a month ago i was looking into progamming and ive come up with a concept: a monster raising game where you create unique creatures of imaginary and mythological origin by combining elements from real world animals. basically you can combine a rabbit and a bird to create a skvader, but that bird can be specific, like a sparrow for example, so that skvader would have parts that resemble a sparrow.

i also wanted to include turn based combat, something similar to the digimon story series. i imagine you would progress through different regions where you encounter different creatures that would live in that area (deer in the forest, snakes in the desert) and the farther you go the more complex and unrealistic the creatures become. however im not exactly sure how you would come to engage in a battle; would it be random encounters in a dungeon? or something like pokemon where you can only encounter them in patches of grass?

i attached some concept art i made of potential sprites:

looking for suggestions.

Attachments

• b_skvader01.png
    b_skvader01.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 34
  • b_skvader02.png
    b_skvader02.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 37
  • b_jackalope01.png
    b_jackalope01.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 30
  • b_jackalope02.png
    b_jackalope02.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 35
  • b_wolpertinger01.png
    b_wolpertinger01.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 36
  • b_wolpertinger02.png
    b_wolpertinger02.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 32
  • b_wolpertinger11.png
    b_wolpertinger11.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 31
  • b_wolpertinger12.png
    b_wolpertinger12.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: SylverReZ

lattechan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would it be random encounters in a dungeon? or something like pokemon where you can only encounter them in patches of grass?
Digimon /Pokemon/FF esque would work. Depends how moving in your game works. Is it openly 2D/3D or is it hallways type or maybe it's just screens early Shin Megami Tensei style?
You cuold also consider games like those mobile tapper games. I know that sounds weird but if it's a raising game then maybe one tab or screen of that would be exploring which is an incrementally increasing monster pool while going through various backgrounds (regions) ?
I dunno. Some stuff to think about maybe

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try to plan out more ideas and experiment with them a bit to figure out what suits best onto a document. You're going to need to know what your game is going to look like first; as explained above, it could be either an open-world 3D or 2D game, or maybe one in the style of "Resident Evil" with static backgrounds. You should also consider the console for which your game is designed for as well as a programming language you want to deploy - LUA is a good starting point, but most 3DS homebrew development uses C/C++.

Reactions: hagsmire

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1