Streets of Rage fan remake crushed

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

UPDATE: A SEGA spokesperson has given Kotaku the following statement: "SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities.

"However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances."

ORIGINAL STORY: SEGA has demanded that a hugely ambitious fan-made remake of its classic Streets of Rage beat 'em up be taken down from the web.

As reported by Gamasutra, developer Bomber Games unofficial effort had finally gone live last week following eight years in development. The free download boasted 103 stages, 19 playable characters, 64 enemies, 83 remixed songs, more than 40 cutscenes and eight different endings.

On top of all that, it had also shoehorned in a Survival Mode, Boss Rush Mode, Events Mode, Volleyball Mode, Allied CPU Mode, Profile Editor, Image Gallery, and a fistful of customisation options.

SEGA's lawyers clearly weren't as impressed as the internet at large was, however, asking the developer to take the game down.

"SEGA have contacted regarding the download hosted on this site," wrote a moderator on the Bomber Games forum. "While this issue is being resolved, please do not upload the game for others to download. Any links posted on this site will be removed. Thank you."
[/p]

Source

I mean I can't really hate Sega since it is their property, but so much effort was put into the remake that it's such a shame to see it go down. Hopefully it'll still be floating around the internet or Sega could even get it from Bomber Games and release it as a DLC title for a quick buck.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's still floating around everywhere.
The group basically waited until they were done with the game before making any official announcements.
Some really basic googling will net you the game.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
The group basically waited until they were done with the game before making any official announcements.

I believe the term for this is the "anti-corporate prick strategy." B3

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
*Downloads before it's lost forever*
biggrin.gif

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, the same thing that happened to sonic fan remix.

Did they take it down?

[youtube]P3ALwKeSEYs[/youtube]

Did they actually stop anyone from just downloading it somewhere else?

[youtube]gvdf5n-zI14[/youtube]

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oveneise said:
Are we talking about Beats of Rage?

I gotta try those out for my Xbox and Dreamcast.

No this is a different game.

Has any one played it yet? I played the first level and I must say that it's pretty good looking on my laptop. The games moves very fast and is far better than I remember the Genesis titles to be.

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I doubt they have any intention of reviving the IP. They probably just don't like the idea of a no budget, basement developed freeware project showing what a little actual passion can yield when it comes to fan service.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, :wacko: