Gaming Stream video from PC to WiiU via Internet browser?

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All we need now is for one of the popular transcoding DLNA servers out there be able to be accessed over http, and we'll have a functional local media solution.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm, I wonder if something like this: http://www.wildmediaserver.com/index.php would work? It seems to suggest it works over HTTP and talks about using FFMPEG to transcode media into a compatible format. There's a free trial available if anyone with a WiiU wants to try it out.

Maybe there are other similar pieces of software for free, I haven't looked into it too much.

I don't really know too much about this sort of thing, maybe there isn't a decent piece of software to fill this gap right now. If that's the case, I'm sure it won't be for too long.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Is that suggesting it converts on the fly ? to allow streaming of not compatible files to mp4(compatible wiiu files) , think id prefer to convert n play rather than add a "middle man" into the equation .. if im understanding you correctly?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I remember when a good few months ago I said that the WiiU should've had multimedia functions such as DVD/BluRay support AND a media player for on-USB/on-SD media built-in and I was met with a tidal wave of criticism and hate along the lines of "Rarara it'll have Netflix/Youtube so whatever!". Things like this are only going to become convenient once the console is hacked - Nintendo lives in this fantastic dream where consoles are for gaming purposes only, wheras the whole world already moved on from that kind of thinking to the Media Center approach without the Big N noticing.

...Hate to say I didn't warn ya. :tpi:

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Yes, that will allow streaming of MP4 videos, but only MP4 videos. It does have the advantage of not being "broadcast mode" and no transcoding, and those are a major plus in my book. Guess if it comes down to it, I could convert all my videos to MP4 to take advantage of this. Most of them are in MKV, and if this process is quick, then I may just do that.

I remember when a good few months ago I said that the WiiU should've had multimedia functions such as DVD/BluRay support AND a media player for on-USB/on-SD media built-in and I was met with a tidal wave of criticism and hate along the lines of "Rarara it'll have Netflix/Youtube so whatever!". Things like this are only going to become convenient once the console is hacked - Nintendo lives in this fantastic dream where consoles are for gaming purposes only, wheras the whole world already moved on from that kind of thinking to the Media Center approach without the Big N noticing.

...Hate to say I didn't warn ya. :tpi:
I know I wasn't one of those people. In fact, I even sent out an email to Nintendo, asking whether they planned on such features for the Wii U in the future, even as commercial eShop apps. The response was that the suggestions were forwarded, and while there is no guarantee of such changes, they take all feedback into consideration.

Reactions: Foxi4

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Shit it's not 2000-2006 when people invested in playstaions for their DVD/Bluray capabilities. People already have devices for those things, it's 2012 ffs.
In fact entertainment is actually gravitating towards online distribution services like Netflix or Hulu, Nintendo got their priorities right when deciding not to include media playback abilities, the licenses required isn't worth the investment considering the near nonexistent user base it would have.

That's not saying that I don't see why some people want it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Shit it's not 2000-2006 when people invested in playstaions for their DVD/Bluray capabilities. People already have devices for those things, it's 2012 ffs.
Which is why they invest time and effort into streaming video from their PC's to their console, since not everybody has a tablet to watch movies on when walking around the house/not everyone has a DVD/BluRay player/not everyone finds it convenient to buy a device dedicated to one thing and one thing only each time he needs to play different kinds of media files on different storage devices/not everyone accepts cluttering space around the TV with the forementioned devices.

Seems legit.

No, Eerpow & The WiiU Gang - the fact that a tri-core PowerPC-based console with a strong CPU/GPU and truckloads of memory to spare with perfectly functional USB slots/SD slot/WiFi connection/DVD/BluRay-Derrivative Optical Drive is not capable of performing a task as simple as playing a DVD is sort of baffling. It was with the Gamecube, it was with the Wii and it continues to be with the WiiU.

Oh ffs here we go Foxi4's on his fukkin high horse again .... Female input/output required :s
Female? Not sure if I catch your drift.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is that suggesting it converts on the fly ? to allow streaming of not compatible files to mp4(compatible wiiu files) , think id prefer to convert n play rather than add a "middle man" into the equation .. if im understanding you correctly?
Yes, it would convert it on the fly to MP4 so that the WiiU can actually play it. Converting ann entire library of files into MP4 is a very long process with a large library, requiring leaving a computer running maybe days or weeks to fully convert every video. The other option is pre-converting videos only as and when you want them, which would mean you need advance planning, perhaps of half an hour to an hour, depending on formats and computer speed. I was just suggesting a piece of software that might allow near instant streaming of unsupported video types. Stuff like the PS3 Media Server does this sort of thing I think (although the PS3 may support more formats natively), and it's pretty popular from what I gather.

Obviously, it's not the right solution for everyone. But I'd say we'll be seeing a "WiiU Media Server" before too long ;)

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo had planned for DVD support on the Wii via USB dongle, but that fell by the wayside, and was left there.

As for media servers like PS3 Media Server (PMS, lol), I tried several of them, but none of them seemed to do the job, mainly because they couldn't transcode and stream via http.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo had planned for DVD support on the Wii via USB dongle, but that fell by the wayside, and was left there.
That's another thing I didn't really understand. The Wii already has a DVD-capable drive, this was practically a good way to sell "more drives" for no reason whatsoever.

...but I digress. Here's for hoping that a WiiU Media Server app will be released soon enough, along with a media player app - it's only natural to expect that, Nintendo's a few generations late in that department anyways, it's about time to catch up.

Jetowa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do believe Universal Media Server has a web front that could be compatible. Anyone using a ps3 has probably familiarized themselves with the interface already. ^_^

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Which is why they invest time and effort into streaming video from their PC's to their console, since not everybody has a tablet to watch movies on when walking around the house/not everyone has a DVD/BluRay player/not everyone finds it convenient to buy a device dedicated to one thing and one thing only each time he needs to play different kinds of media files on different storage devices/not everyone accepts cluttering space around the TV with the forementioned devices.
That number of people is still pretty small, I'm just saying Nintendo's perspective on why those features aren't included, imo it should be an option because, why the hell not?
I understand people complaining about the GC not having DVD playback, which actually was a fucking terrible move back then, but now? What's the point, it's not worth moaning over.
Oh so the system doesn't play DVD's, ok... would have been nice but not essential. Now Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, the browser w/e on the other hand are essential and it's good to see them putting some effort into those things at least.
You see this time they won't lose any customers for not having those features included so naturally they don't have a reason to put in the effort/money on something they won't profit on. I'm not saying it's a good thing because it would honestly be a nice feature to have if I get one, it's just that it's not a stupid decision anymore compared to how it was with the GC/Wii.

No, Eerpow & The WiiU Gang
Thanks for making my day foxi4, no sarcasm I laughed :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You see this time they won't lose any customers for not having those features so naturally they don't have a reason to put in the effort/money on something they won't profit on. I'm not saying it's a good thing because it would honestly be a nice feature to have if I get one, it's just that it's not a stupid decision anymore compared to how it was with the GC/Wii.
Okay, I'm going to ask a simple question.

Nintendo placed USB slots on their console for the purpose of...? Other than the HDD and perhaptials (if applies, and it's usually third-party perhaptials anyways), those slots have no practical use. They might've used their own slot and sell HDD enclosures to make their wallets even fatter.

I see no reason why they wouldn't take advantage of the fact that the console can use them, nor do I see a reason why the 3DS cannot play some basic multimedia formats when its ability to sync with the home console is a perfect opportunity to introduce a system of media sharing on both to encourage multimedia purchases - a'la iTunes, except one that doesn't suck.

Of course I'm just throwing around ideas here, really. From where I'm sitting, it's a lot of wasted opportunities.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I'm going to ask a simple question.

Nintendo placed USB slots on their console for the purpose of...? Other than the HDD and perhaptials (if applies, and it's usually third-party perhaptials anyways), those slots have no practical use. They might've placed their own slot and sell HDD enclosures to make their wallets even fatter.

I see no reason why they wouldn't take advantage of the fact that the console can use them, nor do I see a reason why the 3DS cannot play some basic multimedia formats when its ability to sync with the home console is a perfect opportunity to introduce a system of media sharing on both to encourage multimedia purchases - a'la iTunes, except one that doesn't suck.

Of course I'm just throwing around ideas here, really. From where I'm sitting, it's a lot of wasted opportunities.
On the Wii U I don't see that much of a point, however on the 3DS you're right especially considering the 3D possibilities. I guess they just want to avoid having people pirating movies? I don't know but it's something a lot of people would like at least.
On the Wii U side of things it's an opportunity gone to waste I agree, but allowing your device to play media formats is also something that costs time and money, I'm not saying that there aren't people that want that, I'm saying that they have a reason not to looking at the business side of things.

The "itunes" idea however should totally be implemented however, as it's something most people would want. Taking those babysteps I hope this is the direction they're heading, lets see how things evolves, going from Wii to Wii U was a giant leap, we'll see if they have what it takes from here on.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
On the Wii U I don't see that much of a point, however on the 3DS you're right especially considering the 3D possibilities. I guess they just want to avoid people pirating movies or something, I don't know but it's something a lot of people would like at least.
On the Wii U side of things it's an opportunity gone to waste I agree, but allowing your device to play media formats is also something that costs time and money, I'm not saying that there aren't people that want that, I'm saying that they have a reason not to looking at the business side of things.

The "itunes" idea however should totally be implemented however, as it's something most people would want. Taking those babysteps I hope this is the direction they're heading, lets see how things evolves, going from Wii to Wii U was a giant leap, we'll see if they have what it takes from here on.
See? I'm not that bad, you CAN find some middle-ground with the horrible Foxi the Hater. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~