Hacking Still no wiikey update

amazoncd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
While it would be nice. GCOS already provides this.

I would like to see DVD playback support just for the hell of it. (Even though my DVD player already provides this)

All in all it is a let down, since an update (for what?) was promised a while back and we're yet to see it. It would be nice to see if the chip even can be updated via DVD as easy as they claim. Otherwise, no problems with the chip so far.

dial

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Its funny, now you dont see everyone screaming wheres the update and calling the wiikey team liars but people couldnt jump on the cyclowiz quicker for not delivering an update.

Also it looks like they've taken down all comments on thier news page where they said an update would be coming "this week"

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
The announcement of an update coming "this week" was made before they ran into troubles with clones. They obviously NEED to make sure the update is not compatible with clones. There's no if or why about it.

Wiikey Team said:
We actually had an upgrade release scheduled for last week, but
unfortunately the recent issues with cloned chips have caused a few
delays.
Because of the presence of low-quality cloned WiiKey chips in the
market, we have been inundated with bug reports which cannot be recreated
on genuine WiiKey chips. Because it is very difficult to tell which bug
reports relate to genuine WiiKey and which ones relate to fake/counterfeit
chips, this has slowed-down the bug fixing process significantly.
In addition, we also need to make sure that the new upgrade doesn't work
on these cloned chips, in order to give the best possible value to our
loyal customers.
The team are working as hard as they can under these difficult conditions
and hope to get an upgrade out very soon. However, at this moment, we can't
promise a specific date although news will be posted on
wiikey.cn as soon as we have any information.
Thank you for your support!

source

True, that is quite a while ago now. Some sort of information on how they're fairing would be good. So far I'm really happy with the Wiikey. They promised a disc dumper and they delivered. I'm sure they'll get around to a firmware update.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Im not slating the team or anything. Im just annoyed at how cyclowiz got treated like shit because they promised an update soon and it took a little longer and people bashed them left right and centre. Wiikey do the same and everyone thinks they smell like roses still. No offence to them but i dont see how they're gunna stop this update working on clone chips seeing as by definition clone means excat replica.

Nethertheless good luck to the team.

Cinos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sri.gunsha.com
XP
Country
The other difference is the fact the Cylowiz team promised at a certain time, waited about a week later, then extended the time, and when that time came along waited a few days after and extended it again. Where as the Wiikey team has been quite insightful as to why their being late, and giving up warning ahead of time.

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I would like an update, but the wiikey is pretty good as it is.

By the time the update comes out, traum center will already be out already in PAL land.

I think 80% of peoples Wiis that have installed wiikeys probably are clones (maybe not knowing), and i expect a lot of people to be annoyed.

But im sure it works on clones anyway. I expect wiikey is just reaping in the profits before admitting the new upgrade works on clones.

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
How do you know they didn't have any problems?
And don't get your hopes up for a Wiikey update ever if they need it to not work on cloned chips.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I don't see how people are comparing this situation with the Cyclowiz situation. The WiiKey has a genuine problem, they gave us the setup disk on time, but this update is out of their hands. The clones are causing a real problem. However, Cyclowiz didn't have any problems, they just repeatedly delayed it.

They did have issues. To get the disc to correctly read at 6x speed they had to rewrite thier whole code. Also had to add a verify routine and make sure the update was safe. Dont forget they had 2 updates to work on aswell

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And don't get your hopes up for a Wiikey update ever if they need it to not work on cloned chips.

If they want to get people to buy the wiikey they will have to release an update, even if it works on the cloned chips. If they didn't no one would buy any the wiikey or any other new versions they decided to make.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States

If they want to get people to buy the wiikey they will have to release an update, even if it works on the cloned chips. If they didn't no one would buy any the wiikey or any other new versions they decided to make.

Or they could just be happy with what profit they've made and never work on the WiiKey again.

Ugh, I don't get why gbatemp decided to turn into a board for console mod chip discussion. I miss the handheld-only gbatemp.
dry.gif

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Its funny, now you dont see everyone screaming wheres the update and calling the wiikey team liars but people couldnt jump on the cyclowiz quicker for not delivering an update.

Also it looks like they've taken down all comments on thier news page where they said an update would be coming "this week"

Without the needed updates, the Cyclowiz was a shit product.

I am perfectly happy with the WiiKey without an update. There isn't really anything that they can update that I can think of that I would have any use for, really.

However, I just want to play copied NTSC US games, and maybe a Jap game here and there just to screw around.

DVD Playback - who gives a damn. My laptop can play them, my work laptop can play them, either of my HTPCs can play them, either of my drives in my PC can play them - this feature is worthless. If they could make it output higher than 480p and play x264, that'd be great, but it's not going to happen.

WiiKey is getting screwed by clones, I can understand them not jumping on an update if it is going to help those with clones too.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
The reason there ARE clones is because it's a fine product in the firstplace. Why don't you see any clones of the original Cyclowiz?

A lot of people want the audio fix. People sure are demanding of their game thievery...

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
the wiikeys a good product if you want to play wii games. Its shit otherwise. Don't forget the cyclowiz was an early chip and still beats the wiikey who had much longer to design thier chips.

I agree about dvd playback, Everyone should have a dvd player anyways

pnag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the wiikeys a good product if you want to play wii games. Its shit otherwise. Don't forget the cyclowiz was an early chip and still beats the wiikey who had much longer to design thier chips.

Eh, huh?!? Shit otherwise? For what? Playing hockey? Dating? "To play wii games" - that's all it's meant to do, no?

As for beating? Doesn't it have about the same features?

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i meant for gamecube games....

""To play wii games" - that's all it's meant to do, no?"

No, Its also meant to play gamecube games which ive seen alot of people moan about its capabilities of doing so.

And as for having the same features i've heard far less compalints about the features of cyclowiz.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Quest 3 is like $600 quest 2 is $200