Starting Tomorrow You Can Buy PS2 Games on PS4!

Starting tomorrow you can buy a few games! More will be added soon.
The games for sale as of tomorrow are:

• Dark Cloud — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
  • Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
  • The Mark of Kri — $14.99
  • Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
  • War of the Monsters — $9.99
The games will also feature enhancements such as upscaled graphics, remote play and trophy support.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: nxwing

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just saying. Personally on the PS4 front I'd be a little more pissed that I can't play PS3 games than PS2 games.

Of course I'd love PS2 disks to work as well.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I bought GTA 3. It looks like a bit washed out. It really doesn't look like the rendering resolution was upgraded to 1080p. GTA 3 on my phone looks a bit sharper. Also as I never played the original, anyone can tell if they removed radio stations from the original PS2 version?
Correction: I compared the Android and iOS version of GTA 3 with the PS4 version and both iOS and Android versions beat the hell out of the PS4 version in terms of resolution, aspect ratio and framerate. The Android version can be configured and runs best with smooth 60fps and best viewing distance while the iOS is fixed. I'm now sure that the PS4 version's internal resolution is definitely NOT 1080p, else it would look sharp and crisp like the mobile versions. At this point I can't recommend a purchase of the PS4 version if you have the option to play the mobile version. Not to mention the iOS and Android version costs three times less than the PS4 version.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
*tons of stuff I mostly agree on*
My point wasn't about the pricing, my point was about the availability.
If I would like to buy some older title, if it isn't one of the major names then changes are it's not available and I'm better off finding an rom and emulating the stuff instead of even bothering opening the eShop. Old consoles have thousands and thousands of games, then these digital releases are limited to tens which they happened to get lisence to. With PSX stuff, they have managed to release pretty decent list of games which work with PSP, Vita and PS3 (though EU PSN has zero way of browsing them, so thanks Sony!), so they need to keep AT LEAST the same pace and preferabely even faster considering PS2 library. Even then, almost all PS1 games I wanted to play weren't on playstation store so I needed to convert them myself to PSP at the time. So with PS2, it's still most likely easier to boot up an emulator and either throw disc in or search for a rom than even bother opening playstation store and wait for years old game to get released.

If they would've allowed physical games, this would've been great replacement for some people still having PS2 phats or cluncky emulators which aren't couch friendly at all and easy way to get some games digitally that they do not own. Now, it's just randomly picked titles to expand PS4 library somewhat.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point wasn't about the pricing, my point was about the availability.
If I would like to buy some older title, if it isn't one of the major names then changes are it's not available and I'm better off finding an rom and emulating the stuff instead of even bothering opening the eShop. Old consoles have thousands and thousands of games, then these digital releases are limited to tens which they happened to get lisence to. With PSX stuff, they have managed to release pretty decent list of games which work with PSP, Vita and PS3 (though EU PSN has zero way of browsing them, so thanks Sony!), so they need to keep AT LEAST the same pace and preferabely even faster considering PS2 library. Even then, almost all PS1 games I wanted to play weren't on playstation store so I needed to convert them myself to PSP at the time. So with PS2, it's still most likely easier to boot up an emulator and either throw disc in or search for a rom than even bother opening playstation store and wait for years old game to get released.

If they would've allowed physical games, this would've been great replacement for some people still having PS2 phats or cluncky emulators which aren't couch friendly at all and easy way to get some games digitally that they do not own. Now, it's just randomly picked titles to expand PS4 library somewhat.
I doubt anything would replace a phat ps2 say, modded with a hdd installed for games. Might, just might, replace a ps2 slim though.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A good way to tell would be to check San Andreas by listening to radio X for Ozzy's Hellraiser song to play as that was removed from the phone,360, and updated steam version of the game. For the original GTA3, I do not recall any songs ever being pulled from any of the various releases of the game.

GTA3 didn't have licensed (aka real) songs, did it? So there'd be no reason to mutilate that one due to expired deals.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1