Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally received my 32GB pro-duo memory stick from DX on Friday October 21. It's this one:
http://www.dealextre...card-32gb-93075

I promised in the following thread reply that I would post the speed test results. See that thread for speed tests done on my official Sony 8GB stick as a comparison:
http://gbatemp.net/topic/309882-choices-choices-microsd-or-transflash-or-sdsdhc/page__view__findpost__p__3920470

I have the results of the speed test for this new 32GB stick posted here for anyone who is interested.

Interesting note about this stick, It looks exactly like my Sony 8GB stick, except it says 32GB. When I received it, it had a white sticker over the word "Sony" that's printed on it. The "MagicGate" designation is on the card (If you look at the DX link, it actually says "SONY" where that big black area is in the pics (but it had a white sticker over it) and you can see that it says "MagicGate" on it too.....my cell phone won't take a clear pic of the card....sorry, but trust me, it looks identical to my official Sony stick with the only difference being that it says 32GB instead of 8GB) but the PSP says the MagicGate support is "unknown". From what I've read around the net, that means it's a fake. Anyway, it seems to be working fine regardless. It formatted to 30.2GB (I KNEW it wouldn't actually be a full 32GB...all storage lies about that...they base their size on 1000 bytes instead of the correct 1024 bytes blah-blah. Why they insist on that, who knows...) and I have it loaded up with PSP games to just about 1GB of space left (I don't plan to leave it with that many PSP games in it, I was just attempting to test the stick's integrity.). All games I've tested seem to be working and saving fine. But to be honest, I haven't had a whole lot of time lately and have only played a handful of games for a short time at this point. It arrived in a standard DX yellow envelope and was just the card in a small plastic card case. No documentation was included whatsoever.

OK, on to the test results. I ran 2 different testers through the PSP on it. The tests were ran on it after it was freshly formatted and had nothing but whatever the PSP puts on it and the 2 tester programs. Here are the results.
gallery_63656_95_220.png

gallery_63656_95_1647.png

As you can see, especially in the second pic, its write speed is slow, though the Blackspeed test shows it as approximately 10MB/sec or about 4MB/sec faster than what the PSXReality test reports at the best of times. I think the Blackspeed test seems more correct to me on the write test than the flaky results of the PSXReality test. But of course, if you refer to that other thread I linked to, the PSXReality test wasn't flaky like that on the official Sony stick. Even though the tests say the write speed is slow and somewhat unstable, I didn't really notice a difference when I was writing the files to it in comparison to my 8GB stick, it seemed to take about the same amount of time. Still, it reads quick and that's what REALLY counts anyway. Not real sure what the "performance index" rating is all about on the Blackspeed test....but that number is MUCH higher on this 32GB stick (1832) than the 501 rating on my official 8GB stick. I'll assume that the lower the number, the better, but it would be nice to know what that number is representing. Maybe response time?

I imagine that as time goes by I will find out if it corrupts itself or not. I'll be sure to report that in this thread if corruption ever happens. But, you know, as long as it doesn't corrupt itself, it's a pretty good deal for $35. Who gives a crap about MagicGate DRM protection anyway? From what I've read, the PSP doesn't really use that anyway. You only write to the stick occasionally to add games or whatever and saves are only so many KB and don't take long even if the card does write slowly. The read speed is what matters when playing the games and that seems comparable to my old 8GB.

At this point, I'm fairly happy with the card...I mean, it seems to be working fine at this point, though it would have been more comforting if the MagicGate designation didn't say "unknown" like that, especially since that IS listed right on the card as supporting it....just hope it doesn't start corrupting. Guess I'll find that out eventually.

Reactions: 2 people

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
They're better results than i'd have expected, although the Blackspeed result doesn't really tell us anything due to the lack of samples. And you're right all you can do is use it and see how it works for you.

One thing that you will notice when using a Non Magic Gate stick is some lagging on the XMB when you go to each of the subsets of MS content (Video, Music etc...). It can become quite irritating depending on how often you're in the XMB.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, so far, so good. It's been a few days now and the stick is still performing well. No corruptions or other noticeable issues yet. I did have one game black-screen on me, but I found out it was just a bad dump since the working ISO of that game was nearly twice the size. The only slowness I'm experiencing is accessing the ISO list in the XMB, and that's likely because the stick is nearly filled to capacity and it has a lot to cache before showing you the list. It's not like the wait is extreme or anything though....about what I expected, you know, a couple seconds longer than my official Sony 8GB to list the ISO's. I have about 50 games on this stick, as opposed to around 15 on the 8GB, so that bit of hesitation before listing them is kind of expected.

I put a few vids on it to test that theory about the lack of MagicGate support causing a hesitation in the XMB......I saw none. The list of vids popped up instantly and the vids played smoothly. Fast-forwarding and rewinding through the vids worked normally.

I put that Netfront web browser beta6 on it and DAYUM! web pages load MUCH faster than the official browser. Still not PC fast, of course, but no more "out of memory" notifications when loading large pages. Nice!

I know a lot of people were leery about this 32GB stick since it's so cheap at DX, but so far, it seems like a WIN for the price!

In case it's important to note, I'm running CFW 6.20 PRO-B9. Don't know if the lack of MagicGate support would affect a PSP using OFW, but it doesn't seem to matter when using CFW. At this point, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Of course, I'll update this thread if I run into any problems.

Reactions: 1 person

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting read Rayder. I like looking at speed tests when it comes to memory sticks and I'm not too suprised with the results. It seems like a winner from where I see it. I hope to see more review tests like this on GBAtemp :D

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered one too, my extremely unhappy experience with a MicroSD adapter made this deal irresistable. I expect to recieve it in mid-Nov though =/

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received mine today (Ordered it Oct 25). Formatted it with the PSP & USB Cable, ran a full Win7 disk scan and error check (took a long time!). Haven't done tests with any other utils yet, but it was error free.

Really seems to be the full 32 gig. Really seems to be performing on par with my definitely-not-counterfeit Lexar Mark II card. I'll be using this one for my music & movies primarily, but I'm going to throw all the games that I don't have room for on my 8 gb Lexar card, on this one for now I guess.

edit:
Had zero problems with actually making this my main card, although my old USB cable started to give out and broke a couple file transfers. Only had one game not load so far (in 6.60 PRO B10), and that was a level 9 compression CSO of KH Birth By Sleep. Uncompressed version works fine. Using a smartphone USB to USB Mini-B data cable and ran a couple of utlities, and all blocks read properly. This is the best I could expect of a counterfeit memory card!

edit2:
Finally uploaded memory speed tests to compare to Rayder's.

For some reason aren't showing up in-line properly so here's the link.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One month since my last reply on this subject.....

....card is still working like a champ. I've been playing lots of different PSP games and haven't encountered any problems yet.

It might be a knock-off, but at least it works.....and was relatively cheap.

Reactions: 1 person

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is still working fine too. Nothing has been corrupted under frequent use.
However, the difference in real performance was enough for me to use my 8GB genuine card w/MagicGate for Phantasy Star Portable 1 as I near the end, due to experiencing lag in heavy combat effect situations. Even w/uncompressed ISO format, the 32GB doesn't quite seem to keep up for that.

alexei_gp

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi Rayder your card its still alive? i want to know your situation because im interest buying the designer card from dealextreme.Thanks for reading me and im waiting for your answer.

Edit: Question to Rayder ¿ any problems using pluggins with the designer card from dealextreme?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My card is definitely still working like a champ, I just got Parasite Eve from PSN and started a playthrough two nights ago. I know you didn't ask me but I bought the same thing he did.

edit: I've only used a couple plugins, I have CFW 6.60 Pro B10.. & nothing's ever crashed or malfunctioned for me with this memory card. The one problem I ever had was what I previously mentioned.

alexei_gp

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My card is definitely still working like a champ, I just got Parasite Eve from PSN and started a playthrough two nights ago. I know you didn't ask me but I bought the same thing he did.

edit: I've only used a couple plugins, I have CFW 6.60 Pro B10.. & nothing's ever crashed or malfunctioned for me with this memory card. The one problem I ever had was what I previously mentioned.
Thanks exangel for giving details of your card.Its amazing this fake card have a long life 3 months and you have pleased with the product.I have low budget this my only choice to buy a 32 gb memory stick pro duo ...definitely my best option is buying the card on dealxtreme.Thanks for sharing the information :) sorry for my bad english i m not good writing it and speak the language...i m not using the google translator xD

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks exangel for giving details of your card.Its amazing this fake card have a long life 3 months and you have pleased with the product.I have low budget this my only choice to buy a 32 gb memory stick pro duo ...definitely my best option is buying the card on dealxtreme.Thanks for sharing the information :) sorry for my bad english i m not good writing it and speak the language...i m not using the google translator xD

No problem, friend. I don't even use my 8GB genuine Lexar MSPD at all because this one holds enough movies, music, and many games. I try to avoid using CSO compressed backups for things I want to play frequently, but I don't even really know if that has any effect. I'm pretty new to PSP.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, my 32GB is still working great. The only real plugin I use is POPS, but I have encountered no problems.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its pretty impressive for a card bought from DX, and the price is even more favorable. It'd be hard to find a $1 per 1GB deal in transflash when you get into higher capacity territory.

Though I personally prefer 16 and 32GB MicroSD cards in MSProDuo adapters, just because there are many things I'd be able to stick the microSD in.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nearly a year later and the card is still performing perfectly. Still no corruptions or other issues.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Aye normally I find if cheap memory can last a month there normally golden for quite some time, although there physical durability is normally lower its of no real bother if you leave it in your unit.

I Personally Use a Photofast CR-5400 with 2x 16GB Class 6 MicroSD's that has done me very well :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.