Sony's new streaming handheld gets name and price

5e8509d3e2d54b4004ca28d9bc004387.jpg

Sony's new remote-play only device finally has a name and a price. The streaming only device is officially called the PlayStation Portal remote player and will launch later this year for $199.99 USD (219.99 EURO / 199.99 GBP / 29,980 YEN).

The handheld sports an 8inch LCD screen capable of playing games remotely at up to 1080p60. The device includes all features from the PlayStation 5 DualSense such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

PlayStation Portal remote player

PlayStation Portal remote player brings the PS5 experience to the palm of your hand. It includes the key features of the DualSense wireless controller, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback*. The vibrant 8-inch LCD screen is capable of 1080p resolution at 60fps, providing a high definition visual experience that's expected from the high quality games created by world-class developers.

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi**, so you'll be able to swiftly jump from playing on your PS5 to your PlayStation Portal. PlayStation Portal can play supported games that are installed on your PS5 console and use the Dualsense controller. It also includes a 3.5mm audio jack for wired audio. PS VR2 games, which require the headset, and games that are streamed through PlayStation Plus Premium's cloud streaming, are not supported.

Pre-orders for the device will go live later this year.

Sony have also announced a new Pulse Elite headset priced at 149.99 USD (149.99 EURO, 129.99 GBP, 18,980 YEN) that offers lossless audio, retractable boom mic and built in an AI noise cancelling feature.

424463b68a9e54c935d8c68605a134032f22ad69-scaled.jpg fd8ff6133d32b19bc1f1b28322fa986cd7808a27-scaled.jpg

Their new wireless ear buds also have a name - Pulse Explore , and also feature the above AI noise cancelling tech and dual mics and these are priced at an eye-watering 199.99 USD (219.99 EURO, 199.99 GBP, 29,980 YEN).

1a8c11dc8eb22b6d7c7d2784290b5b9c2b4f4d78-scaled.jpg 66432d561feff841dab2c528b1519ac76bb53e5c-scaled.jpg

:arrow: Source

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lmao imagine making a useless device that is just a cheap 8inch screen with a dualsense controller attached to its side,
and having the audacity to ask for 220€ for it (yeah they even try to blatantly scam europeans by not only using the same "1€ = $1" trick, but they make you outright pay more for no reasons lol).

First off, this is way too expensive for an hardware that costs like $20 to produce.

Secondly, this is hardly a portable handheld anymore, the Switch OLED (which is seemingly the highest screen-to-body ratio in the Switch size) is 7", this means it's gonna be even bigger than a Switch. And the Switch is already not what i'd call portable. We can theorically guess that it will be around the Steam Deck's size, with such a big screen.

Third off, this is useless compared to any actual handheld lol, imagine paying so much for a device that doesn't even boot games and is just a shiny screen. At this price point, you'll be better off buying a PSVita, a tablet or such and using moonlight and similar remote play services.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are those earbuds the same price as the handheld lol. I kinda get it though, since they're still cheaper than Airpod Pros and cheaper than some of Sony's other earbuds in the same category.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So it's effectively a gamepad, with a giant screen in the middle, that can't work independently of the main console...

Congratulations, Sony, you just invented the Wii U.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

SeventhSon7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's effectively a gamepad, with a giant screen in the middle, that can't work independently of the main console...

Congratulations, Sony, you just invented the Wii U.

Will the portal be usable by games as a second screen? For maps, inventory, etc?

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Fuck regional prices man...Just fuck them!
Couldn't care less about the Dual Sense U tablet, but was kind of interested in the earbuds to be honest.

Why is the headset priced at the same 149.99usd/eur but the earbuds and the stupid tablet at 199.99usd / 219.99eur??
I mean, yeah, I get it that US prices don't have added taxes to them and the EUR prices have the included VAT, but still, why do companies do USD = EUR so much of the times....?

As far as I know, added taxes wary from state to state in the US and can range from 0% to 16%. Correct me if I'm mistaken...
So taking the highest rate that would add $31.99 to the $199.99 which is $231.98 and taking the latest currency exchange rate, 219.99EUR is $238.95 which is like a $7 difference.
Not a huge difference, I know, but keep in mind that not all EU countries have the same minimal salary and some countries have a minimal salary of 400eur - 500eur, so for a majority of people it's up to half of their income for a gadget, which is way out of their budget, considering that they have to take care of monthly expenses first of all.

Luckily I'm in a position where I can afford to get one, but my statement still stands for the big majority who can't. It's so stupid that in the EU lower income countries get the same prices as the more premium income countries....You can agree that it's not the same getting a 200+ eur product with a 400eur income or a 1800-2000+ eur income...

Yeah..I know that each country's government should regulate this prices, but fuck the government...except the very very few exceptions, all governments are corrupt and care for themselves instead of the wellbeing of their citizens.

/rant over

Again....I may be wrong with some or many of the above statements about US taxe and whatnot, so please correct me if and where I'm wrong and don't execute me. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto