Gaming Sony Virgin Seeks Initiation into a World of Nintendo Altern..

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have had a look at the PSP Essential Games List Here. http://gbatemp.net/t236164-essentials-playstation-portable. And I'm looking for a little guidance. I have never played a PSP in my life. So those game names are a wall of pure Swahili to me. If I put my likes and dislikes would people be willing to give me a few ideas on what games to head for first? I'll be really grateful.

Oh noes I get to use the PSP smiley for the first time! Coooooool.
yaypsp.gif

Ummm..........

Zelda (she is a princess, she rocks!)
Professor Layton (a man who thinks he is English but is clearly a fake)
Myst (Not the German kind)
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (It has pirates and they are made from ACTUAL pieces of Lego)
Coraline (Proof that healthcare is only for the rich - she had to make do with buttons for eyes, poor cow)
Lost in Blue (A damming indictment of parental neglect)

Mario Kart (Illegal Immigrant who proves that plumbers get there faster)
Picross
Brain Training (Sudoku - No other games does it as well as Professor K)

Dislikes
Furry stuff
Disney!!!
Games that involve too much combat.
I'm not overly into platform games.

I like adventures with puzzles in them mostly.
smile.gif

Thanking You

Comments in brackets by way of explanation for Nintendo Virgins.

kazekun

Trophies
XP
Country
If your really into zelda theres some worthy games you should check, kingdom hearts birth by sleep, persona 3 are both awsome rpgs, Personally for me, one of the 1 games that really sucked me into it was Final fantasy dissidia, that game is just drains all my life into it
biggrin.gif
(its a fighting game tough, but totally worth it) , unfortunatly i only have my psp for 2 days
tongue.gif
so cant help you further than this. hope it helps!

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
If Zelda's your thing, then get your PSP hacked, add Gameboy and Gameboy Advance emulators, download pretty much the entire Zelda back catalogue, and go nuts. After that download forgotten PS1 gem Alundra, which is pretty much the same dungeon crawly puzzly sword fighty treasure hunt.

As for actual PSP games in that sort of style....I dunno. If you liked Lego Pirates then pretty much all the other Lego games are much the same with different faces. Lego Harry Potter was vastly inferior to the console version IMHO, and Lego Star Wars 3 kinda phoned it in a bit, but the others are solid as a rock. If it's puzzles you like then maybe Lego Batman.

Nothing much like Mario Kart for PSP as far as I'm aware, it tends to go for the more 'serious' racers, but Crash Team Racing for PS1 is much the same but with Crash Bandicoot instead of Mario.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a good Zelda-type game I suggest Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure. Part Zelda, part platformer, a bit ARPG, overall a great game.

I can't think of any good Professor Layton equivalent although the Harvey Birdman game for the system is supposed to be a decent adventure game (plays kinda like Ace Attorney).

There's a bunch of Lego games for the system (Star Wars, Indy, PotC, etc).

There's ModNation Racers for a kart racer but if you want like the best kart racer ever made, you can pick up Crash Team Racing for the PSX. Beats Mario Kart any day. There's also Split/Second which is sorta like kart racing-meets-real racing.

There's probably plenty of puzzle games to satisfy Picross and Sudoku fans alike.

Can't think of anything for the rest. Rest of my PSP game suggestions are here.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Zelda: Not many Zelda like games on PSP. The closest thing I can think of are the Ys games not counting Ys Seven.
Professor Layton & Myst: Not many games like these two either. There are a few ones that are similar in some parts but they're mostly in Japanese. Maybe Danganronpa or Disgaea Infinite or Shadow of Memories/Destiny.
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: There's plenty of Lego games on PSP.
Lost in Blue: Closest thing I can think of are the Disaster Report 3 and The Sims 2 Castaway.
Mario Kart: ModNation Racers even though it sucks.
Picross & Brain Training: echochrome and echoshift.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
kazekun said:
If your really into zelda theres some worthy games you should check, kingdom hearts birth by sleep, persona 3 are both awsome rpgs, Personally for me, one of the 1 games that really sucked me into it was Final fantasy dissidia, that game is just drains all my life into it
biggrin.gif
(its a fighting game tough, but totally worth it) , unfortunatly i only have my psp for 2 days
tongue.gif
so cant help you further than this. hope it helps!

Kingdom Hearts is disney I think. Me and disney don't get on.
frown.gif

Final fantasy Dissidia looks wicked. It has gone on my list thank you
Personna 3 : I'm going to check out a bit more on youtube it looks interesting.

Blaze163 said:
If Zelda's your thing, then get your PSP hacked, add Gameboy and Gameboy Advance emulators, download pretty much the entire Zelda back catalogue, and go nuts. After that download forgotten PS1 gem Alundra, which is pretty much the same dungeon crawly puzzly sword fighty treasure hunt.
As for actual PSP games in that sort of style....I dunno. If you liked Lego Pirates then pretty much all the other Lego games are much the same with different faces. Lego Harry Potter was vastly inferior to the console version IMHO, and Lego Star Wars 3 kinda phoned it in a bit, but the others are solid as a rock. If it's puzzles you like then maybe Lego Batman.
Nothing much like Mario Kart for PSP as far as I'm aware, it tends to go for the more 'serious' racers, but Crash Team Racing for PS1 is much the same but with Crash Bandicoot instead of Mario.
Oh
pirate.gif
is the reason I'm taking the plunge. It isn't that I love Mario but I'm in love with one of the circuits on it 'Mushroom Bridge circuit' it is the most realistic circuit on Mario Kart. So it is great if it more realistic as long as it is easy. I crash....a lot. And I'll check out Lego Sony Games on wiki. Thank you

QUOTE(Schlupi @ Jul 6 2011, 07:23 PM)
If she likes Mario Kart how about ModNation Racers?
ph34r.gif

I just saw this while checking out some of the suggestions from this thread is it any good? I like the look of it.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

I really appreciate the suggestions from everyone. This is great, I want to get them before it arrives. Which maybe tomorrow.
wink.gif
Feel free to keep them coming.
biggrin.gif

EDITED To say I wasn't ignoring you others, promise. You posted while I was replying and I will go through yours once I work out the 'logistics' of getting the others.
wink.gif
So in a little bit.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is nothing like Mario Kart on PSP and that was a big disappointment for me too. ModNation Racers is just crap IMHO.
I have enjoyed MotorStorm Arctic Edge on the PSP though, it's an offroad racing gaming where you have a lot of opponents. No weapons but a lot of bumping and stuff. The game looks fantastic, it really shows the power of the PSP! I really recommend it.

kazekun

Trophies
XP
Country
I can tell you panda, final fantasy dissidia is wicked, i am 4h into the game, and only completed like 4% of it
the combat in this game is extremly unique
tongue.gif
think you will enjoy, and customizing everything, items, skills so on is just awsome.

Also
tongue.gif
kingdom hearts is indeed from disney, but believe me
tongue.gif
its not as fluffy and childish as it looks, square enix makes miracles when joined with disney, the story of all the kingdom hearts games are extremly deep and touching, you should give it a try! ( I avoided ds kingdom hearts for months
tongue.gif
when i decided to play it, i played it nonstop for 3 days, when i ended game, i was extremly sad for ending the game)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
ScummVM doesn't count as a PSP game but it's an essential anyway...

Loads of people will recommend you Crisis Core....don't it's vastly over-rated and very mediocre.

Make sure you try Persona 3 Portable, Jeanne D'Arc, Patapon, Lumines, possibly Popolocrois and Gurumin for starters.

As for Playstation games which got enhance ported to the PSP Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions are a must.

I also really enjoyed the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance but that may be a bit askew from your likes.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Incidentally if you're gonna install that GBA emulator I mentioned, pick up Mario Kart Super Circuit while you're there 'cause you can unlock all the old SNES tracks as bonus cups. It's awesome. As close to the SNES original as anything ever came. You could also just install a SNES emulator and the original Mario Kart, but I'm not sure if that works. I know Starwing doesn't
frown.gif

Actually, sorry to veer off topic but my Samsung Galaxy S has a SNES emulator installed which CAN run Starwing, albeit very slowly and it doesn't seem to support multi-touch so I can fly or shoot, not both. But my thought is this. Could we theoretically use this emulator's code in some way to fix the issues with the SNES emulators on PSP which cannot emulate the Super FX chip, repair that flaw and have a fully functional Super Nintendo emulator, enabling me to play Starwing on the move? Is that possible? If so, anyone care to take a whack at it? 'Cause Starfox 64 don't hit for months and I need my Arwing fix
frown.gif

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
So I guess you're coming to the PSP thinking it'll have games like the DS/Wii.
Well, stop right there.

PSP is totally different, don't think 'oh this game looks good because it looks like this Nintendo game'.
Just try it out and stop comparing.

Anyway, heres my list of games on my PSP right now and all of them I recommend to anyone.

Dissidia 012
Your first post says you don't like too much combat, well this game is just combat with a bit of story to it too. Even if you don't like that much combat, you should really try it out. It's fan service for Final Fantasy fans and if you don't like Final Fantasy (like Guild) it's still a great game.

Valkyria Chronicles II
Part strategy, part DARLINGS.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The guy looks like someone off some random hentai. I haven't played this that much to really say anything about it but the battles are fun.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
As Kojima said himself, part Pokemon part Sims City.

But really, it's a good game and the ending IS ABOUT 3.

Jeanne D'Arc
Those tactic games.

The 3rd Birthday
This is pretty much a combat game mixed with some RPG elements. If you're looking for a good story, look somewhere else.

Phantasy Star Portable 2
My all time favourite series. There is a ton of stuff to do in this game and it's a 'MMORPG' too but online is pretty dead if you don't find a group to play with.

As I said before, just try a game out even if it's not something you'd usually go for. The PSP has some great games and you'd be limiting yourself if you stick to what you know and love.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Try out Ys 7 too. Easily the best Ys game on the PSP. It lacks the jumping in Oath of Felghana, but Oath of Felghana is also cheap as all hell with most of the bosses. I couldn't get myself through the game on normal past a certain point. Ys 7 always has a home on my memory stick though just for being incredible amounts of awesome.

Modnation Racers is actually a fun racing game with creative customization. I found the online to be spectacular, though you won't be able to really enjoy it if you pirate it, which you would. Without online, half the fun is lost.

I personally found Gurumin to be incredibly boring, the story and voice acting to be very mediocre, and the gameplay to be lacking after what I went in expecting. It does not come as a recommended title from me personally. Also, beware, the PSP essentials list is likely still very out of date (confirmed, last update was nearly a year ago), so it isn't the most reliable resource for good games around here.

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
for a cart game,
check a hardly known japanese game called "Saru Get You - Piposaru Racer"
and "Crash Tag Team Racing"

if you like it realistic, it's hard to beat "Burnout Legends" - that game is amazing!

and get yourself "Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3"
it's one of the most adictive rpg's ever, i just completed it after about 100hours!

and get "Bejeweled 2" - just get it!
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Microsoft is worth 3.2 Trillion according to Google lol