OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unties is a new publishing label from Sony

A division of Sony is to publish video games for the Switch the company has announced. Sony Music Entertainment has launched a new publishing label called Unties, whose upcoming projects include a game, titled Tiny Metal that's coming to Nintendo's hybrid console as well as PC and PS4.

Unties has so far revealed three more projects: one for PS4 and two listed for "PC / TBA," hinting they could come to other platforms later on. Sony Music says the label has been set up "to unearth high-quality indie titles … and utilize SME's vast entertainment business wisdom in order to expose them to as many consumers as possible." It went on to say it intends "to free creators from the myriad ties that bind them when it comes to publishing their games" and "make free, limitless publishing a reality."

This isn't the first time Sony has published games on non-PlayStation consoles: Sony Online Entertainment previously published games such as Plantetside 2 and Payday the Hiest on PC. SOE, which was separate to the PlayStation brand and Sony Interactive Entertainment, was later sold off and renamed Daybreak, no longer a part of Sony.

It's interesting, then, to see Sony--albeit, again, not the PlayStation or SIE division--entering the multiplatform publishing business once more, this time on a rival company's console.

Source gamespot

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Well Ninty and Sony arent exactly Rivals at least not right now. They did Collab on that unreleased machine almost 2 decades ago.

Sony's only has one rival and that is Microsoft.

Nintendo has stated from Day One that they dont intend to compete with Sony and MS at least when it comes to the Nintendo Switch.
So thus this move from Sony makes sense in my opinion.

Especially since Sony is no longer in the handheld market. It wouldn't have made sense IF Sony made this move during the PSP/PS Vita eras but those systems are effectively dead and gone now unfortunately and only one handheld remains which is the Switch. (the 3DS exists too but that's gonna end soon anyways. At least in terms of official support)

But yeah, it will be interesting to see the different types of games that Sony publishes for the Switch.

Reactions: AmandaRose

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok hell froze over when i saw sony making games for the switch i can understand pc but why publish for a rival's console unless it's a ploy to reverse engineer the switch watch it be that or make shitty games to trash the switch's rep

@Abu_Senpai they are still competition even if it's inferior hardware

Last edited by chrisrlink,

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well first of all, where are your source/s? Second of all, Sony Music Entertainment is not Sony Interactive Entertainment. SIE is the playstation division, so that takes off a bit of "wow" from the matter imo.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by AmandaRose,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Well first of all, where are your source/s? Second of all, Sony Music Entertainment is not Sony Interactive Entertainment. SIE is the playstation division, so that takes off a bit of "wow" from the matter imo.

Here ya go:https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-to-publish-nintendo-switch-and-pc-games-under/1100-6454129/

@Abu_Senpai they are still competition even if it's inferior hardware

I doubt Sony views them that way after making this move. And we already now that Nintendo doesn't intend to surpass Sony and it cant. I can bet my life on that, Switch will never sell more than the PS4, so Sony will be dandy at least for this generation.

Next generation however is a different ball game altogether.

I personally am still hoping for Sony to start allowing cross-play with MS. But they seem adamant against making that move for some reason. I have a few reasons as to why i assume they might not want to do so but whatever.

I am just curious as to whether or not this new label means that we will have cross-play between Sony and Ninty in the future.

Reactions: AmandaRose

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well must mean the switch has impressed if a rivial game console manufacturer wants to publish games on it. I can already see that there is alot more support for the switch then the wii u had its first year

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Ninty and Sony arent exactly Rivals at least not right now. They did Collab on that unreleased machine almost 2 decades ago.

Sony's only has one rival and that is Microsoft.

Nintendo has stated from Day One that they dont intend to compete with Sony and MS at least when it comes to the Nintendo Switch.
So thus this move from Sony makes sense in my opinion.

Especially since Sony is no longer in the handheld market. It wouldn't have made sense IF Sony made this move during the PSP/PS Vita eras but those systems are effectively dead and gone now unfortunately and only one handheld remains which is the Switch. (the 3DS exists too but that's gonna end soon anyways. At least in terms of official support)

But yeah, it will be interesting to see the different types of games that Sony publishes for the Switch.
Actually, that collab is the REASON they were rivals. The reason the SNES Playstation was never released is because Nintendo prematurely broke contract with Sony

Reactions: Kioku

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than at times some obnoxious jerks running Sony they've been fairly in step with Nintendo in some form or another so I'm not surprised really. The SNES itself and the doomed CD have a lot to do with Sony starting with the audio core of that console. Before that period they even had a hand in a few NES/GB games and did more in the SNES period too. Only after they dropped the PSX on the market in the mid 90s did they basically go their way with games for the most part. They still do little things here and there and not seeing Nintendo as a threat now since they went off the rails on the Wii they've been fairly complimentary unlike the dumb snark useless out of the idiots at ms.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than at times some obnoxious jerks running Sony they've been fairly in step with Nintendo in some form or another so I'm not surprised really. The SNES itself and the doomed CD have a lot to do with Sony starting with the audio core of that console. Before that period they even had a hand in a few NES/GB games and did more in the SNES period too. Only after they dropped the PSX on the market in the mid 90s did they basically go their way with games for the most part. They still do little things here and there and not seeing Nintendo as a threat now since they went off the rails on the Wii they've been fairly complimentary unlike the dumb snark useless out of the idiots at ms.

It didn't do any favors that Sony wanted the royalties from the Snes CD games. People blamed Nintendo solely on them breaking the partnership, Sony wanted the revenue.

Reactions: Kioku

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I agree they were greedy crooks which is why Nintendo shanked them over it. They wanted to get every penny out of anything published on a disc and they knew had it come out most people would never publish to a card again leaving Nintendo making no money other than in peddling hardware and accessories which for a company like them is grossly unacceptable.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
well the vita is a huge failure so sony has no handheld worth releasing any decent looking game, the switch can be their handheld for less demanding games.

this is not unheard off, after microsoft bought rare they still released games for the gba since xbox had no portable platform for the less demanding and more simple.

so yeah with this both sony and microsoft published games on nintendo portable consoles and yeah i consider the switch a portable console :P.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What's the joke here?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It didn't do any favors that Sony wanted the royalties from the Snes CD games. People blamed Nintendo solely on them breaking the partnership, Sony wanted the revenue.

Sony should never be seen as the hero. Granted we might not have the Playstation name if this partnership had withheld.. But even in today's world Sony refuses to open up. Specifically with cross platform gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc