Sony partially acquires Evo, online tournament details announced

Evo.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment made a surprise move in the esports world today. The company, in partnership with new esports venture RTS, has acquired the renowned Evolution Championship Series, more commonly known as Evo. The announcement came via a message from Evo's Twitter account:

Sony also released a statement via their website, in which they expressed their enthusiasm at the acquisition and took the opportunity to announce Evo Online 2021, which will take place on August 6th-8th, and 13th-15th. The tournament will have free entry for gamers in North America, Europe, Asia, and Latin America to compete. Sony also took the time to assure fans and competitors that they remain committed to keeping Evo as authentic as possible, despite the new ownership.

Our collective team is laser-focused on one mission: preserving the authenticity of Evo for the fighting game community and finding creative ways, alongside our fans, to grow the tournament and make its events and broadcasts more fun, engaging and accessible than ever. At its core, Evo will remain what it has always been: an open-format competition that gives fighting game fans from different countries a chance to connect, test their skills, and forge new friendships.

Regarding Sony's partner in this acquisition, RTS, the statement shed some light on the fledgling company which is helmed by Stuart Saw.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has teamed up with RTS to acquire Evo through a joint venture partnership. With expertise spanning esports event management, brand and developer consulting and gaming talent management, RTS is a new venture led by CEO Stuart Saw and backed by investors including global entertainment, sports and content company Endeavor.

Sony also confirmed that Evo co-founders Tom and Tony Cannon will remain involved with the tournament in an advisory role. In another tweet from Mark Julio, director of business development for Evo, it was confirmed that despite the partial ownership by Sony, Evo would continue to be open to all platforms going forward.

:arrow:Source

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

Sony Interactive Entertainment made a surprise move in the esports world today. The company, in partnership with new esports venture RTS, has acquired the renowned Evolution Championship Series, more commonly known as Evo. The announcement came via a message from Evo's Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/EVO/status/1372639787270639616

Sony also released a statement via their website, in which they expressed their enthusiasm at the acquisition and took the opportunity to announce Evo Online 2021, which will take place on August 6th-8th, and 13th-15th. The tournament will have free entry for gamers in North America, Europe, Asia, and Latin America to compete. Sony also took the time to assure fans and competitors that they remain committed to keeping Evo as authentic as possible, despite the new ownership.

Regarding Sony's partner in this acquisition, RTS, the statement shed some light on the fledgling company which is helmed by Stuart Saw.

Sony also confirmed that Evo co-founders Tom and Tony Cannon will remain involved with the tournament in an advisory role. In another tweet from Mark Julio, director of business development for Evo, it was confirmed that despite the partial ownership by Sony, Evo would continue to be open to all platforms going forward.

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/1372640707492519941

:arrow:Source
I seriously hate it when a company acquires an esports company to make them look better

SilverWah

CVS2 best game period.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought most of the fighting game community was on pc(or maybe I think that just because I mainly discuss fighting games with other pc gamers)
Most of the players prefer playing on PC over here at Europe but it varies a bit.
Some US people prefer playing online on console but definitely stick to PC.
Japan/Asia are big on console play and PCs aren't populair at all over there so they love console netplay the most.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

However I'm still glad the Cannon brothers are involved and don't get kicked to the side.
They seem to be smart guys so hopefully this years EVO Online will go smoothly without any more drama.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see this as an improvement over what we may have gotten if those sexual abuse scandals weren't uncovered. Riot Games hired the co-founder of EVO Tom Cannon and he's been working on Project L(Riot Games unreleased fighting game). IIRC all signs a while back pointed to EVO being used as an advertising event for Riot Games Project L at some point and it never sat right with me. Tom and his brother are still key advisors for this event(as they should be) but I hope this throws a wrench in that marketing plan and all to come later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol