Sony announces price hike for PlayStation 5 in most markets

dkslkda;lsd.png

"High global inflation rates" are the cause of a lot of price hikes in various goods, and the latest to fall victim to that is the PlayStation 5. As of today, Sony's boss, Jim Ryan, confirmed that because of "challenging economic conditions", the PS5's retail price will be increasing in most markets worldwide. In Europe, prices will be going up by €50, to €549.99, in the UK the price tag is changing from £449.99 to £479.99. Other regions that are affected are Australia, Mexico, Canada, and China, with the price change being effective as of today. Japan will also see the cost of the console increase, though it will not go into effect until September 15th. For now, the MSRP of the PS5 in the United States remains the same as it has been.

The new RRPs below are effective immediately unless otherwise noted.*

• Europe
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
  • UK
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
  • Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
  • China
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
  • Australia
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
    • PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
  • Mexico
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
    • PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
  • Canada
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I don't care HOW they do it, just get it done. This is absolutely unacceptable behavior by Sony. It's the PS3 crisis all over again.
Stealing anything will hurt the stores more than the manufacturer, plus, stealing a console and then buying games for it only lines Sony's pockets furthermore. If you really want to make a difference, buy an xbox or switch.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say the ps5 probably isn't worth getting right now if you own a ps4. though, I have a 5.05 system that I never game on. I'm using the ps5 to play games from last gen mostly. it's a legit system though, so maybe not all ps4 games work on some of the earlier firmwares. I'm playing tales of berseria now at about 5 hours in. I just got a party of four.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While it is pretty hard to have a Price increase like this, does anyone of you recognize the market for everything regarding electronics? Microchips, semiconductors, Capacitors, Processors of any kind, nearly any kind of component needed to Build a Console or even PC Components have their prices Skyrocketing because of the high demand and low supply. Granted, i do not know the modalitys of the Contracts sony has, but seeing as production costs in similar branches nearly tripled, i think that this raise in price is justified.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they were but they are not. Scalpers proved long ago that people are willing to pay more so Sony is taking advantage of that. People will pay it and be fine doing so. I work retail In what I call a PlayStation town where people absolutely refuse to pay MSRP for an Xbox Series X but will pay for a PS5 “bundle” costing upwards of $750 USD because they absolutely dislike Xbox for some reason and will only use PlayStation.
So its a playstation town because folks buy the playstation more than the xbox.

Erm, so for the playstation to be selling more units globally mean the world fits into your bat shit crazy logic?

I guess it is sony doing it intentionally, not the fact that the cost of litrally everything here in the UK has shot up.

Cost of supply shoots up, cost of import and export never crosses your mind.

Hell the all the wiitards and shitbox fanbots will be loving this news and be slating sony lmfao.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As if PC components aren't getting price hikes either. LOL
That is happening for sure. Semiconductor companies are all most likely currently negotiating new prices with their suppliers, but also their customers.

So yeah, anyone believing this will only affect console gaming as opposed to the whole semiconductor market is delusional at best.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
  • PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
I mean, I do like the number 649 (gee, I wonder why - it's not like Gen V's the best one or anything, nope, no sirree), but you couldn't have given us some warning before the hike? At least a few weeks?
Or, I dunno, made your freaking console actually purchasable before hiking the price?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As if PC components aren't getting price hikes either. LOL
lol that ship has sailed a long time ago way before they started doing it to consoles. it started with the video cards than spread from there. it's not even possible to get a good deal on a decent HDD anymore without paying hundreds.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol that ship has sailed a long time ago way before they started doing it to consoles. it started with the video cards than spread from there. it's not even possible to get a good deal on a decent HDD anymore without paying hundreds.
HDDs are cheap, it's SSDs which are pricey although well worth it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my first PS5 for £380 and the second for £450. Might sell the second one. Capitalise.
Those were the MSRP prices in the U.K. before the price increase.

Can't say I'd ever buy a PS5 Digital Edition unless I was the type to get ripped off by buying digital games which I'd not own.
I can't even afford a PS4 slim so whatever, I will keep using my Vita and my two PS3s.
A PS4 Slim isn't expensive these days, but then again, that depends on the firmware and country. Don't know how it is in Argentina.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan @I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu...