Sony announces price hike for PlayStation 5 in most markets

dkslkda;lsd.png

"High global inflation rates" are the cause of a lot of price hikes in various goods, and the latest to fall victim to that is the PlayStation 5. As of today, Sony's boss, Jim Ryan, confirmed that because of "challenging economic conditions", the PS5's retail price will be increasing in most markets worldwide. In Europe, prices will be going up by €50, to €549.99, in the UK the price tag is changing from £449.99 to £479.99. Other regions that are affected are Australia, Mexico, Canada, and China, with the price change being effective as of today. Japan will also see the cost of the console increase, though it will not go into effect until September 15th. For now, the MSRP of the PS5 in the United States remains the same as it has been.

The new RRPs below are effective immediately unless otherwise noted.*

• Europe
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
  • UK
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
  • Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
  • China
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
  • Australia
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
    • PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
  • Mexico
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
    • PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
  • Canada
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99

:arrow: Source

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Non-rich people earn around MXN$5,000 per month in Mexcio. So, for the complete version, now they must work 3 whole months for buying the console, even then, only if they live with someone else that share food.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Extra Funds" so they don't have a gap in their profits. They really don't need to raise the price for any reason except greed. ._ . I wish people wouldn't roll over for this crap, but they will cuz "I need muh PS5!"
"Roll over", I think you need to relax dude, not sure what crawled up your ass, but when you get the time, take a break and go back and read again.

jmrodrigues

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Non-rich people earn around MXN$5,000 per month in Mexcio. So, for the complete version, now they must work 3 whole months for buying the console, even then, only if they live with someone else that share food.
The problem isn't the console price, it's the wage! With so much cocaine money, they could do better!

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was lucky and got a ps5 for my kids for Christmas in 2020. Even luckier that I got it at retail and only paid 329 plus tax for it due to it being at shoppers drug mart and using pc points to cover half of it with their in store deals.

My mother went in to the store to pick them up a switch lite while I waited in the car. While I was waiting I watched someone walk out with a ps5 and I ran in. The store said they didn't have any left but then a guy walked out of the back room with the last one so I snagged it.

Got them a Quest 2 in April so just avoided that price hike.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So glad I got a capable gaming PC when I did
Mods, a giant library of fangames, compete and utter control over my files and OS.... since I built it, my series s has been collecting dust... and every other console I own for that matter

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The problem isn't the console price, it's the wage! With so much cocaine money, they could do better!
Yeah. I've been envious on how teenagers in USA working for McDonald's basically can afford a 65" TV and a Xbox or Switch in less than a month of work (in the last 5 years at least). Compensating mounstrous healthcare policies, at least Electronics and Entertainment is usually cheap.

Nothing like living in a shithole, I guess.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Teenager people dreaming about free things is so stupid,
They're ready to rob a bank instead of figuring out why this is happening.
Keep daydreaming, until you starve to death.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It's almost like they wanna screw over every country but the US. Seriously, what's up with the unequally rising price? Even if i wanted a PS5 this move would make me much less likely to buy one.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In my opinion,in this period Sony realized that it sold few games compared to Nintendo,so it decided to increase the price of the console, because you can not buy the game if you do not care,but the console yes if you want to play games that you like.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
i dont know any stors that put PS5's out on the shelves
I don't care HOW they do it, just get it done. This is absolutely unacceptable behavior by Sony. It's the PS3 crisis all over again.

Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o