Suggestion Something needs to be done about spam.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Lately there have been some malicious users spamming the site, but even before, occasionally there is 'generic' spam, like most forums get.
Can we not make the first 5, the first 10 posts of a user hidden and need to be approved by a mod to be shown?
So, other users will see nothing, or simply see 'awaiting moderation'.
And once a mod comes along and looks in the list, they can either approve the user/post or ban them.

It seems other forums have some things like this, why can't we have it here?
Is it too much work or something?

I just hate seeing people post junk here :)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They couldn't get two or three or four volunteers solely to help out with the approval stuff?
Is it even possible to give just approval powers? Oo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would volunteer in a heartbeat...
Ditto

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I suggested this over at Project Pokemon back when spambots were a big deal. Other staff members quickly pointed out the obvious flaw: Do I really want to approve the first few posts of every new member?

I doubt they'll go for it. But they may look for more moderators if they deem it necessary. If they do want more moderators, I volunteer. *looks at the moderator reading this ;)*

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggested this over at Project Pokemon back when spambots were a big deal. Other staff members quickly pointed out the obvious flaw: Do I really want to approve the first few posts of every new member?

I doubt they'll go for it. But they may look for more moderators if they deem it necessary. If they do want more moderators, I volunteer. *looks at the moderator reading this ;)*
We can obviously notice some people coming back tho (especially if they update their Twitter with their new attempts COUGH)

D

Deleted-379826

Count me in also, I really don't like the spam either but I'll be honest I find the PeterMary threads funny, the only thing that makes them bad is LOOK HOW LONG THE LATEST HAS BEEN UP ITS BEEN LIKE 2 HOURS

Last edited by ,

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong; this would be a fantastic idea!
The only things is that the mods on this forum would be way to lazy to do that. They'd probably do it at first....but then after the first 500 members they'd get tired of doing it. The thing is, if we were to add that option to the forum, the mods would be focusing more on new profiles rather than the actual threads. There are a couple obstacles in this idea. The site would need more staff

Reactions: Deleted-379826

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
We can obviously notice some people coming back tho (especially if they update their Twitter with their new attempts COUGH)
Not really much that can be done besides banning him each time. That is, unless we want to inconvenience new members and add significantly more work to the moderator's current load.

Reactions: Ricken

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mayhap a new rank of staff, that anyone with over [Set Number] lf posts could apply for?
That's not completely fair, however. People need experience. Just because one person has over, perhaps, 1000 posts, doesn't mean they're qualified. It should be based on their contributions and experience

D

Deleted-379826

That's not completely fair, however. People need experience. Just because one person has over, perhaps, 1000 posts, doesn't mean they're qualified. It should be based on their contributions and experience
Like I said you can't measure that tho so that's why you would APPLY

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On my own forum I did what @cearp is suggesting, but only for the first post. It's normally pretty obvious if the first post is from a troll, or a spambot. Of course it's not perfect (I did it to combat spam bots that were getting past ReCaptcha), but it's something.

If you do it for just the first post, it may delay a new member for a few hours, or a day, but that's better than having a 10 page thread of people trolling the troll, and having literally no way to stop the troll from just signing up for a new account.

Reactions: cearp

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True. As much as I would enjoy terminating spam, I'd probably be a horrid staff member all-in-all :P
I did say apply for tho :P

Ninjad
I think it should be based on reputation.
Then maybe the general temp could elect some members? That would be best for messuring reputation imo

Last edited by Ricken,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw