Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What a freakin' disappointment. I was pretty excited to see what TOR was going to bring to the table, since they were talking big and mightily about their design plans.

I got into the weekend beta. Dunno how many people did. Probably lots or everyone because I never get specially invited to shit, lol.

Character creation is cute. Not hugely detailed but still better than most MMOs.
After the tut you are literally dropped into the game world. There is no guidance, and finding a quest is a total bitch. I ended up killing some things, WoW style. I had a violent flashback to WoW when I tested out the combat. I shouldn't say WoW though. RIFT is a better example...since RIFT is WoW with more fluid mechanics. Pretty much, you can attack enemies and move freely as long as you stay in range. I was a sith warrior, so my skills required rage (which actually makes more sense for siths than any other MMO). Finally found a damn quest. Seems every damn quest NPC goes into a cutscene. So I have a feeling I missed the very first quest because I just kept trying to skip the stupid cutscene it was showing me (which I found out, ends the dialogue...). Quests aren't very clearly marked though, unless I missed the option to toggle them on my minimap. Which, I might have.

So me being lost is partially my bad, but seriously...i'm not watching a damn cutscene every time they want me to go kill 50 of the same monster.

I'm gonna give it another go, but so far if I reskinned myself to be a night elf warrior with a longsword, i'd think I was playing WoW.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like how you compare the game to WoW (and Rift) , yet all the mechaincs you just desribed is the opposite of WoW.

Quest finding couldn't be easier in WoW. WoW has a tutorial to show you how to play. Moving in WoW while in combat isn't exactly all that easy unless you're a melee class that circles it's target.

To me it sounds like a game you'd want to play if you don't want to play WoW.

Gratz on getting into the beta weekend though, i envy you. :)

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
NDA violation! :P

I was in the weekend beta too.
I had no problem finding my quests. The very first conversation told me who to go see and I found them right outside with a marker above their head, which I instantly associated with the ! markers that other MMOs use. The markers also appeared on the minimap, but it helps to change the minimap filter to remove other markers (vendors, resources, mailbox, etc) so it's not too cluttered.

I could be nit-picky about things here and there, but I enjoyed it overall. I can see myself wanting to play all of the classes up to the end of their class-specific quest lines, but unless the endgame is good, I don't see myself sticking around after. It's almost KOTOR 3 to me.

D

Deleted User

I played the weekend beta, Ive also played wow for 6 years.

This dominates WoW in every way.

Honestly, if you were lost during questing, you're doing it wrong, You ALWAYS have a main class quest, and you follow that to hubs.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NDA violation! :P

I was in the weekend beta too.
I had no problem finding my quests. The very first conversation told me who to go see and I found them right outside with a marker above their head, which I instantly associated with the ! markers that other MMOs use. The markers also appeared on the minimap, but it helps to change the minimap filter to remove other markers (vendors, resources, mailbox, etc) so it's not too cluttered.

I could be nit-picky about things here and there, but I enjoyed it overall. I can see myself wanting to play all of the classes up to the end of their class-specific quest lines, but unless the endgame is good, I don't see myself sticking around after. It's almost KOTOR 3 to me.

My minimap didn't show quest locations at all.
I found a few, but they didn't appear on my minimap. Was too lazy to try toggle it so I just wandered.

I also didn't see any icons above the NPC heads. Well, nothing special. I kept mistaking merchants for quests.

Frankly I prefer MMOs that just plain don't have many quests, but those are...basically non existent now. They're like grinding, except with a middleman.

I like how you compare the game to WoW (and Rift) , yet all the mechaincs you just desribed is the opposite of WoW.

Quest finding couldn't be easier in WoW. WoW has a tutorial to show you how to play. Moving in WoW while in combat isn't exactly all that easy unless you're a melee class that circles it's target.

To me it sounds like a game you'd want to play if you don't want to play WoW.

Gratz on getting into the beta weekend though, i envy you. :)

Moving in an MMO...is very simple. I wasn't talking about the hand-holding aspect of WoW, I just hated the simpleton combat so much that WoW and RIFT were the only thing to compare it to. I'm well aware good MMOs are all but dead, but jesus. I expected more from Star Wars.

Guild Wars 2, Tera Online, possibly Diablo 3, and Path of Exile are all I have to look forward. I've given up on the possibility that any MMO will ever beat RO's pvp though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto