Hacking So, Who Has an Omega?

lint_ryogo

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Got mine yesterday from shop01media.
Last flash cart I had was for my Micro 12 years ago and could hold something like maximum 10 games so I have little to compare with.
But what I've tried so far it has worked very well and played anything I've thrown at it (NES, GB, GBC, GBA).
Running it on a SP ags101 and with a 32GB card.

gingemonster

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
just been trying mine out working really well on GBA, GBC and GB. Realtime saves really good and so far everything loading nicely and super quick (once a real time save file has been created) < 3 sec.

I did have a crash on yoshi island not sure why as when I reloaded and played it again it was fine. The card is still a little to big so very stiff to get in and out but I havent tried a reform so not sure if its improved or not.

Overall it seems perfect, how just need my AGS101 screen to arrive so I can mod my GBA ;-)

Invader TAK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine came in yesterday from NDS-Card (I sprung for the express shipping) and so far I'm LOVING how fast games load compared to the EZ-Flash IV/Reform. Having PocketNES and Goomba Color baked in is nice too.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Coolio. All in all, sounds like it works like it's supposed to. :)

Are PocketNES and Goomba special builds or are they the same as the stand alone releases?

Pay day seems like a million years away!

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, that's one of the reason I've been holding off. Each new firmware has been an improvement, but at the moment the firmware is what it is. People want a review of what the EZ-Flash Omega is now to know if right now it's worth it to buy. I'd tend to say yes, even given my current score.

I'll almost certainly write a follow-up review in the coming months, though, to address my various concerns and how new firmwares flesh out those concerns.

Reactions: JCR1

lint_ryogo

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks for the fast review kuwanger.
The one thing that I found annoying testing it out yesterday was the fact that it sorted items after time it was added to the sd.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have similarly been waiting on updates as they seem to be sorting issues which might make a full review written right now redundant. I don't mind going back for a game but for a flash cart that is likely to stand for many years it is harder to want to make the leap.

Even as it stands though it is definitely a top tier GBA flash cart, and if the updates keep coming it would probably be the pinnacle of them. GBA flash carts, other than supercards and their clones, have always been "good" as far as being able to play the library -- compared to almost all other cart based consoles of that vintage or older then basically any GBA flash cart could play just about any game and if its default software did not do it then the fix was trivial, no major gaps in compatibility lists and so on and so forth.

Thanks for the fast review kuwanger.
The one thing that I found annoying testing it out yesterday was the fact that it sorted items after time it was added to the sd.
It was seen early on, kuwanger reminding us all of the http://funblog.themeparks.de/tag/mp3dirsorter/?frommp3dirsorter program that can handle it. I don't imagine that will change too soon as having to parse a file system, much less a massive one if people are going to do a sizeable chunk of the GBA library, was part of the reasons for slowdowns on the EZ4 (and several other devices, most notably the MP3 players that the program above was designed to handle things for) at times.

Reactions: lint_ryogo

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been holding off on publishing my review, but I think it's good enough as it stands for now. Long-term, the score will probably have to modified.

EZ-Flash Omega
Thanks for the review. I'm a little concerned with the "five second" wait thing when it comes to saving, and also the potential to corrupt the filesystem. An LED on the cart that displayed the save writing activity would've been nice.

Maybe you're the wrong person to ask, but since the cart already has a battery (for RTC), is it not possible for the devs to implement a feature where we can have a choice between battery saving and the new direct saving?
Or is this a hardware limitation with the new device?

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you're the wrong person to ask, but since the cart already has a battery (for RTC), is it not possible for the devs to implement a feature where we can have a choice between battery saving and the new direct saving?

They sound like they're going to introduce some sort of notification to let you know what saves complete, but only "Boot with Addons" as enabled. For "Clean Boot" it'll be the same as it is now. I've no idea if they could implement your suggestion, but you could ask in that thread. What I can say is that on FAT32 I've had virtually no file corruption issues*. 99% of my problems were on ExFat, so I'm not sure what the problem was.

* It's really not that hard to have a habit of waiting a couple seconds to reset/power off, but yes, there's always that risk. Not to downplay it, but I'm a lot less concerned now than I was during testing when I basically was trying to break it.

Reactions: Rune

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...