Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a lengthy story to how I came to find this thing, but suffice it to say I discovered it 4 weeks ago, and just today decided to actually take the damn thing home since it clearly had been abandoned.

Now...i've googled a bit and seen stuff about remote wiping iPhones. First of all, that makes it seem like a hell of an ordeal to overcome if I ever want to RETURN this thing to its owner. (honestly after I saw the price of these things...I kinda don't. Buut i'm being told to). But does it do anything besides wipe all data? Brick the phone? or just wipe sensitive data?

The battery is completely dead, and I assume it has no tracking kind of system to it otherwise the person would have derped they way over to my workplace and tried to find this thing.

Anyways my question is, before I charge this thing and turn it on, is there anything I should be careful of, or be aware of? I have never owned a cellphone in my life, and my sister (who owns an iPhone) isn't likely going to be much help.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be aware that it might be password protected. (Password to unlock the screen) And if it is. Your only choice would be a full restore in Itunes.
frown.gif
Also, If it isn't password protected. Immediately look for an app called "Find my Iphone". This is usually the app of choice to find stolen or lost Iphones. Uninstall that.
wink.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
It'll have a SIM card in it. Using the ISP you could contact the owner of the phone.

But hey, why in Hell's name would you do that? Ditch the SIM card and take the phone. You pop the sim card up by sticking a paper clip into the small hole in the top of the phone. If you keep using the phone with its SIM card, not only will they probably find you, you'll be using another person's plan and that won't go well for very long.

It's what the owner deserves for buying Apple, and on top of that being immensely careless with his stuff.

Reactions: Technocxt1394

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Oh, umm that's my iPhone.
Can you please give it back?
Haha anyway look out for passcodes.
But this person may not have one as he is stupid enough to lose his phone
tongue.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am amazed at how open people are to me just keeping this thing. Frankly I thought there'd be an uproar if I said I was going to >.> (though my dad really does want me to find its owner).

Just took a bell SIM card out of it...lulz.

Now I guess i'll just need to charge it. Dunno where my sisters charger is though, so I gotta wait for her.

If it's got a password, how do I get rid of it?

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
> Take the iPhone
> Get rid of any SIM card
> DFU
> Restore
> Good to go iPhone that you could mainly use for apps/music or as a phone. OR resell that shit!

This is what this person deserves for buying an iPhone and leaving it anywhere.

Also,

Aren't iPhone 3GS's $49 now?

You also could point good on the moral compass and find the owner. But since this is IRL the guy probably has another phone he's set to lose in a month or so. Or maybe he made a derp. Point is he probably already has another phone.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
There is nothing morally nothing with claiming the Iphone as your own. You even waited 4 weeks. Someone who actually cares about their shit will find in less than a month.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what'll happen when you return the iphone:
Owner: "Thank you very much!"
You: "You're welcome. Be careful with it next time."
Owner: "[blah blah blah...]"
*goes on for a while...
Owner: "Ok. Thanks again! Bye!"
You go home, sit on your computer desk, and the whole scenario feels awkward. You start to regret returning the iphone.

So, I'd suggest to just keep the iphone. I don't see why returning it would be a benefit. Morals mean nothing towards someone you don't know or care (well, for me and most likely others).

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
Midna said:
Thesolcity said:
Umm, nope. I cannot find one under $150 on craigslist
iPhones are never that cheap.

A 3GS with a 2-year contract here STILL costs S$399 (data plan) and S$499 (w/o data)

He was probably refering to the deal going on with AT&T where you could get a 3GS for $49 in the USA.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Quietlyawesome94 said:
chris888222 said:
Midna said:
Thesolcity said:
Umm, nope. I cannot find one under $150 on craigslist
iPhones are never that cheap.

A 3GS with a 2-year contract here STILL costs S$399 (data plan) and S$499 (w/o data)

He was probably refering to the deal going on with AT&T where you could get a 3GS for $49 in the USA.
Oh... Ignore mine then.

Anyways, I really think you should keep the phone OP. it's been 4 weeks, the owner could have gotten a new phone.
tpi.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm. Wasn't password protected. Last message received was 6 weeks ago.

It had no lock. Just some pictures and shit.

My Dad is pretty dead set on returning this thing. I haven't told him its got enough battery to turn on, and i'll probably not do so at least until tomorrow.
Now if I were to put a password on it to make it look like it was locked and we'd need to reset it (oh noes!) to access it, would it display a name or anything upon trying to unlock it? or does it just do "slide to unlock" and then ask for a password?
Also...to make sure i'd not be wasting a bunch of time, does resetting the password actually wipe all data as well?

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if morality is a huge part in your life, but for me, morals are always my number one and I try to do the best I can for other people before I think of myself. If you're able to return the phone to its owner, you simply should. The phone will be 2 models behind soon anyways.
wink.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow, you really haven't considered returning it at all?

I lost my phone once and was really grateful when someone found it, called the last number I dialed on it and got in touch with my friend, who went to meet the guy and get the phone for me. That's kindness I would want to pay forward to any stranger.

I'd return it, but I guess that's just me.

Whatevs.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Densetsu9000 said:
Wow, you really haven't considered returning it at all?

I lost my phone once and was really grateful when someone found it, called the last number I dialed on it and got in touch with my friend, who went to meet the guy and get the phone for me. That's kindness I would want to pay forward to any stranger.

I'd return it, but I guess that's just me.

Whatevs.

I was about to write this same thing. It's not yours, (regardless if that person cares about it or not)
But yeah, whatever, that's up to you I guess

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto