Hardware So a friend who works at SCEE spilled some details to me...

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
...via Facebook about why it took a week for Sony to acknowledge the crisis that is happening right now. And I quote:

QUOTE said:
Check the blog: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/27/...few-psn-points/ There was a time difference between Sony finding out there was an intrusion and consumer's data being compromised. Furthermore anyone that works for a company that deals with data security can tell you nobody is impervious to being hacked, it happens all the time to loads of companies (http://www.databreaches.net/?p=17374 ) and at a large scale (http://wikibon.org/blog/the-11-largest-data-breaches-in-recent-history/ ) By data breach standards, it's absolute text book implementation of what to do correctly. Sony didn't put protocol aside to keep selling PSN content nor keep gamers playing, potentially muddying up systems being scoured for clues. We didn't try to hide this or analyse it ourselves but brought in experts instead. And you don't spill details during an investigation, these things take time, if you've ever tried checking your computer after being affected by trojans, you'd know how time consuming it is... now multiply that by x amount of servers and you'll have an idea.
wink.gif

What do you think?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll take your post at 100% true, however it doesn't change anything that Sony screwed up in their handling of the situation.

R2DJ said:
QUOTE said:
There was a time difference between Sony finding out there was an intrusion and consumer's data being compromised.
This can be interpreted in two ways...
First, and unlikely, Sony found out about the intrusion on day X, and data compromised on day Y. As I said, unlikely they'd do something as stupid as this... but then again, private data wasn't encrypted when being sent from the PS3, so who knows.

Second, they found out about the intrusion on day X, and found out about the compromised data on day Y. The more likely situation, but calls to question why wasn't that checked sooner? Sure they appear to have acted quickly to take down the servers (unless I'm mistaken, we don't actually know when the intrusion happened) so why didn't they act sooner to check if the personal data which is widely known to be unencrypted was compromised?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
*wine, wine* Sony screwed up, *wine*, Sony is a bitch, I hate Sony *wine* Sony sucks *wine, wine* Sony is an evil company *wine wine*

Enough already. Some people should really listen to themselfes. Grew up kids. Life is a lot more complicated than you think.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
*wine, wine* Sony screwed up, *wine*, Sony is a bitch, I hate Sony *wine* Sony sucks *wine, wine* Sony is an evil company *wine wine*

Enough already. Some people should really listen to themselfes. Grew up kids. Life is a lot more complicated than you think.
Which post is this directed at?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Rydian said:
WiiBricker said:

Basically it's a reply to all "Anti-Sony" comments I had to read here in the past months. It's just coincidence that I posted this here.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Rydian said:
WiiBricker said:

Basically it's a reply to all "Anti-Sony" comments I had to read here in the past months. It's just coincidence that I posted this here.
It's not a coincidence you posted it here... unless you're blindly posting that all over the forum.
And I and I'm sure others are sick of your 'LEAVE SONY ALONE!!! LEAVE THEM ALOOOONEEEEEEE!!!!' comments.

In the Sony vs Hotz matter, they abused the law the whole way. The "Sony is an evil company" comments were justified.
In this matter, they failed to take even the most BASIC steps to secure people information. The "Sony is an evil company" comments were justified.
Just because you're a Sony fanboy (see I can pull that card too!!) doesn't mean Sony isn't wrong or at fault.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
twiztidsinz said:
WiiBricker said:
Rydian said:
WiiBricker said:

It's not a coincidence you posted it here... unless you're blindly posting that all over the forum.
And I and I'm sure others are sick of your 'LEAVE SONY ALONE!!! LEAVE THEM ALOOOONEEEEEEE!!!!' comments.

In the Sony vs Hotz matter, they abused the law the whole way. The "Sony is an evil company" comments were justified.
In this matter, they failed to take even the most BASIC steps to secure people information. The "Sony is an evil company" comments were justified.
Just because you're a Sony fanboy (see I can pull that card too!!) doesn't mean Sony isn't wrong or at fault.

You are obviously illusioned and lack of basic common sense. You're wrong in all points. Oh, funny that you claim I am a "fanboy" of Sony. You surely can explain to me why I never bought and own a single Sony product, cant you? Oh, I forgot, you are illusioned. Go watch some Bleach or something...

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
twiztidsinz said:
WiiBricker said:
Rydian said:
WiiBricker said:

QFT

Nice post, well said. Fanboyism is getting rather boring...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker... You came in to start shit when there was none, my first response was a warning, pointing out to you that what you were bitching about did not exist in this thread, the argument you were complaining about did not exist, and then you became the catalyst.

Self-fulfilling prophesy, anybody?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Whine has an h in it.

The grape based alcoholic beverage doesn't. Maybe Wiibricker is just typing whilst drunk?

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:

Whine*

brihan00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
funem said:
twiztidsinz said:
WiiBricker said:
Rydian said:
WiiBricker said:

QFT

Nice post, well said. Fanboyism is getting rather boring...

And so is the "teh hackers were great" and the "Sony is an evil company". That's getting old too. Go back to playing WOW in your parents basement.
It is a game system and that is it. You play games on it and shut it off and on. It isn't like politics or a living thing we are talking about here. Like Sony gives a shit either way?

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiibricker does bring up a good point. Bashing Sony over the breach and trying to say it was their fault is juvenile and truly ignoring how business works.

I do believe Sony was targeted specifically due to their response and handling of guy who found the jailbreak code.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Rankio said:
Wiibricker does bring up a good point. Bashing Sony over the breach and trying to say it was their fault is juvenile and truly ignoring how business works.

I do believe Sony was targeted specifically due to their response and handling of guy who found the jailbreak code.

Claiming it wasn't Sony's fault for not updating their Apache servers for several months is juvenile and truly ignoring how Internet Security works.

(I can play that game too.)

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Rankio said:

Claiming it wasn't Sony's fault for not updating their Apache servers for several months is juvenile and truly ignoring how Internet Security works.

(I can play that game too.)
I agree. This wasn't entirely Sony's fault, but it could have been easily prevented. From what was told to the House in the US, Sony's servers were using an outdated version of Apache, one that they knew had a security flaw. They didn't update it. And to make matters worse, from what was mentioned, they also didn't run the server behind a firewall. Both of those is like painting a target on their machines and having a big neon light saying "Come hack me! I'm unsecure!"

The person or people that got in and stole all the information should be caught because they did something unethical and immoral. I own a few Sony products. I know how good they can make their things. But this only points out the dark side of that company. How much they are really willing to pay to protect our information without actually being forced to do it. As stated from the evidence that was presented to the US House Subcommittee, Sony could have made it a lot harder for the hackers, but instead knowingly used insecure software to secure our information. I'm not saying they are a bad, evil company. I just wish they would invest the same amount of money, if not more, to protect their consumers as they do protecting their image.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw