Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

zeldaism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I haven't really decided what to do. I'll see. :)

Virtualboy has too little games. And besides, as @ScarletDreamz and @BL4Z3D247 mentioned, there's already one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Finally, think it's time.

v1.00 Released

- Transplanted the full SPC700 + DSP source codes from Snes9x v1.51 into this emulator. As a result, the sound emulation now supports Gaussian Interpolation, and has better accuracy. This fixes some sound problems in Clay Fighter and Mortal Kombat I and II.
- Fixed Mode 7 priorities in games that use this: Contra III's stage 1 (at the loss of some color fidelity). Implementing this required the use of some crazy math hacks and hardware tricks to pull this off.
- Implemented some experimental speed hacks for Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dreamland. Runs slightly faster (still not full speed) on Old 3DS.
- Implemented hi-res translucency. We get non-flickering emulation of hi-res screens (Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol) now as a bonus. As a result, Kirby's Dreamland is now playable.
- Invented a new cheat file format .CHX (text file) so that players can add cheats by using any text editor.
- Centralized the SNES output screen vertically on the top screen.
- Overhauled the user interface to give a more modern look as well as provide additional fonts.
- Added more screen stretch options as requested by many users.
- Added 3D slider support. Pushing up the 3D slider doesn't create any 3D effect, but may create a better viewing experience.
- Removed unnecessary debug messages during start up / shut down of the emulator.
- Fixed a bug when the SRAM still saves randomly when it is set to Disabled.
- Reduced memory footprint for storing texture position caches.
- Made this version buildable with libctru v1.2.0 (thanks to Maki-chan)
[Note: Building with devkitARM r46 and libctru v1.2.0 will cause a bug where the emulator cannot utilize the full clock speed of the New 3DS.]

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and bug reports! :grog:
Thank you for this amazing emulator.:bow:

nosebleeder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed most recent version, loaded up up Super Mario RPG and it almost seems like the sound is more distorted and running a bit worse than on the previous release. I'm still unsure so I'll mess around with the game more and add an edit but other than that everything else is working great and I am impressed with all those bugfixes. Keep up the great work!

forgot to mention this is on o3DS.

Last edited by nosebleeder,

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed most recent version, loaded up up Super Mario RPG and it almost seems like the sound is more distorted and running a bit worse than on the previous release. I'm still unsure so I'll mess around with the game more and add an edit but other than that everything else is working great and I am impressed with all those bugfixes. Keep up the great work!

In my N3DSXL sound is perfectly !!!

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

forgot to mention this is on o3DS.
Check your Volume Amplification setting?

Reactions: nosebleeder

nosebleeder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the only setting for anything audio in the emulator so it had to be that or a fluke. You're welcome. :)
Yeah, seems only Super Mario RPG was having that problem for me but it's always nice to have a different perspective because I honestly assumed it wasn't that but it indeed was! This is what I get for trying to be clever and overthink the small problems, audio problem being affected by the only audio option makes sense

Last edited by nosebleeder,
Reactions: BL4Z3D247

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
This release is so polished! Really shines.

Fantastic work. This is the definitive SNES emulator now, by a long way.

The 3D slider support's great, as well- it really does make a significant difference.

Reactions: nosebleeder

nosebleeder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This release is so polished! Really shines.

Fantastic work. This is the definitive SNES emulator now, by a long way.

The 3D slider support's great, as well- it really does make a significant difference.

I agree so much with this! Chrono Trigger looks so awesome with the 3D slider on. A great addition to an already great emulator.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree so much with this! Chrono Trigger looks so awesome with the 3D slider on. A great addition to an already great emulator.
My N3DS XL can't get here fast enough. I'm literally playing Chrono Trigger on a 2DS and every time I hear how good the 3D slider option looks I check the tracking(like right now) in hopes it has changed for the better. Nope, still says Tuesday. I guess I can maintain my composure, just as long as nobody posts a video of it in action. :P

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have one minor complaint regarding the 3D Slider.
It does indeed make the image sharper for some reason with it on, BUT unlike RetroArch's implementation, this one seems inferior.
In RetroArch with 3D slider enabled, when you tilt your 3DS left and right the screen looks fine.
But with this with 3D slider on, when you tilt your 3DS left/right from your eyesight, you can see the two overlapping "screens" so to speak, as in the "left 3D" and "right 3D" screens.
With RetroArch that problem doesn't exist. Any possibility to fix this to make it work like with RetroArch?
I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough as English ain't my native language.

Last edited by Canzah,

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Absolutely spectacular work, congratulations on the v1.0 release.
This is an amazingly polished emulator and performs so well, you wouldn't imagine it takes half of the shortcuts it does to achieve this level of performance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol