Hacking SNES emulator not starting properly (too many roms?)

ablebodyoungman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi.

I'm using s9xTYLmecm_mod on my PSP1000. When I first started it up, there was probably 50 roms in the roms folder for the emulator and it worked fine.

I then added my romset into the rom folder (1500+ files) and when I would start the emulator, I just get a black screen.

I then took all the roms out and just added 200 roms and it worked fine. I kept adding 50 roms at a time and check it and it ran fine. When I got to around 1000 mark the emulator would not start.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is there a limit to how many games I can have in my rom folder?

Thanks

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what the actual limit is, or if there even is one (generally if you wait long enough it will still load), but it definitely has trouble reading directories with too many files. I split mine up into separate folders like this:

A-J
K-N
O-Z

With about 300 ROMs per folder it still loads the file lists pretty fast. I don't think there's a way around it unless a developer changes the way the file list is loaded and displayed. Most other emulators seem to have a much easier time with this.

ablebodyoungman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know what the actual limit is, or if there even is one (generally if you wait long enough it will still load), but it definitely has trouble reading directories with too many files. I split mine up into separate folders like this:

A-J
K-N
O-Z

With about 300 ROMs per folder it still loads the file lists pretty fast. I don't think there's a way around it unless a developer changes the way the file list is loaded and displayed. Most other emulators seem to have a much easier time with this.

Thanks for the info.
I went through my romset and got rid of all the Japanese titles and got it down to 800 and now it loads pretty good. TBH me or my friends who may get this psp probably won't play those games. I did have your idea about the folders and thought about splitting them up as English / Japan folders. But wasn't sure if it would work. However with your muti folder example, it's good to know that it'll work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0