GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MasterPenguin said:
granville said:
machomuu said:
Funny thing, Megaman X actually runs better on an optimized SNEmulDS than it does on CAT/BAG/NDSSFC, so if someone does decide to pick this up I'll be waiting and watching.
That doesn't surprise me at all actually. From what i've heard, the DSTWO SNES emulator is a port of SNES9x. You are probably aware of all the many mobile systems snes9x was ported to (smartphones, the dingoo, psp, pandora, gamepark, etc). Snemulds on the other hand is not based on snes9x, it was originally and specifically coded to work on the DS and only the DS. It took code from snezziboy and such, but it wasn't based off snes9x from what i gather. So it's really no great surprise how different they are.

SnemulDS is a port of Snemul, which was not originally coded for the DS. It's by the same guy, but it's still a port.
Kind of. It did start out as a port of his PC emulator Snemul. But later on, he essentially completely rewrote the emulator entirely and imported the core from snezzi. I doubt there's much in terms of similar code between snemul and snemulds anymore. Archeid said something to that effect once.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to make some requests.
1. The file browser. It would be awesome if it could browse the MicroSD card instead of being locked to a single directory.
2. Support for zipped ROMs.

Reactions: 1 person

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow, somehow I missed this thread before now. First an expert team comes along and easily translates "Nanashi No Game", a game that for years was claimed "impossible" to translate, and now pretty much all the DS programming all-stars jump in and decide they all want to work on making SNEmulDS as improved as they could! For a while I've suspected that once the DS reached the twilight of its lifespan, that dream projects would start jumping out of the woodwork. I dunno why, but it seems like if the system is active, hacker/programmers feel like things aren't worthwhile. Regardless, I'm glad you guys have all jumped in on this!

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Mbmax as head of this, I really hope that means that this emulator will actually run on EZFlash-Vi. ^_^ I always had issues with it.

Also, a good game to benchmark with is Donkey Kong Country 3, because when I did have a working SNES emulator on my EZFlash-Vi, this game ran UBER-slow. Get that game to run full speed, and you'll have a marvelous emulator. ^_^

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snemulds on the other hand is not based on snes9x, it was originally and specifically coded to work on the DS and only the DS. It took code from snezziboy and such, but it wasn't based off snes9x from what i gather. So it's really no great surprise how different they are.

Right here it says SnemulDS is not built from scratch for the DS but the document only slightly contrasts with your statement.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Snemulds on the other hand is not based on snes9x, it was originally and specifically coded to work on the DS and only the DS. It took code from snezziboy and such, but it wasn't based off snes9x from what i gather. So it's really no great surprise how different they are.

Right here it says SnemulDS is not built from scratch for the DS but the document only slightly contrasts with your statement.
Sure, Archeide ported his PC emulator to the DS.
But the PC emulator is from scratch. ;)
Source

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OK, Mbmax, I'll let you win this time but next time it's my turn, ok?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, a good game to benchmark with is Donkey Kong Country 3, because when I did have a working SNES emulator on my EZFlash-Vi, this game ran UBER-slow. Get that game to run full speed, and you'll have a marvelous emulator. ^_^

Did you test more than the first level? The seaside levels use HDMA for background scrolling, which requires more power to emulate. According to the PHWiki's compatibility list, DKC3 should run fairly well, especially on the later versions. I do not remember if it still crashes upon entering certain levels, as was the case in the v0.5 betas. It's been wayyy too long since I updated that list to remember that for certain, hehe.

Glad to see progress on the emulator as a whole!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.