Skills you wish you never had

Should I host a game-music competition? (No prizes, just bragging rights and fun)

• Already done before so lets not do that

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Already done before but lets do it again

• I wont do it without a possible prize

• Total voters

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
So, lots of people think that skills are always good... Well, they aren't.

In this thread, you need to tell everyone your skills you wish you DIDN'T have, or ones you wish you never learned.

My skill that I wish I never learnt to be so good at is lying...

(It's gotten me in so much trouble, and I'm very good at it and it's very annoying when you start thinking like a sociopath all the time.)

Also, I'm thinking of hosting something cute, just for fun though, no prizes... But, take the poll and then I can decide if it's a good idea/worth my while.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ability to lie is very valuable indeed. Makes it easier to spot others as well, though truly spotting is a separate (and very useful) skill -- see microexpressions.
I tend not to lie as having to memorise the lie for the rest of time does get rather tedious but eh. At the same time spotting microexpressions does lead you to knowing what people are trying to hide which can make life harder.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I did not mentally disassemble everything and wonder how it works, how I would make it if asked to and how it will fail. However some variation on that has been with me as long as I can remember.

Tools is an expensive hobby as skills with them usually begets more tools. Life might be a bit cheaper without them, or it might not.

Same for pulling apart logic of stories. These days the internal science boy monologue that goes on for every film is basically a shout rather than a dull whisper but eh. Thankfully I am useless at spotting bad acting.

Generally though most things I have serve a purpose. I don't think I really spent too long gaining useless skills (I am awful at juggling for instance, can't ride a unicycle, even games I will never play again probably saw me pull it apart in some manner, the dead language I know best is Latin which is kind of useful for a lot of things, most of my knowing random old arcane systems and measurements tends to come in handy eventually as there are loads of people to tell you about what is new but what is old might take some more effort).

Think I have worn a tie all of once (two if you count a clip on bow tie) since I left school vowing never to wear a uniform again. Not sure I even own one these days. Ability to tie a tie then might have to be it.

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
Ability to lie is very valuable indeed. Makes it easier to spot others as well, though truly spotting is a separate (and very useful) skill -- see microexpressions.
I tend not to lie as having to memorise the lie for the rest of time does get rather tedious but eh. At the same time spotting microexpressions does lead you to knowing what people are trying to hide which can make life harder.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I did not mentally disassemble everything and wonder how it works, how I would make it if asked to and how it will fail. However some variation on that has been with me as long as I can remember.

Tools is an expensive hobby as skills with them usually begets more tools. Life might be a bit cheaper without them, or it might not.

Same for pulling apart logic of stories. These days the internal science boy monologue that goes on for every film is basically a shout rather than a dull whisper but eh. Thankfully I am useless at spotting bad acting.

Generally though most things I have serve a purpose. I don't think I really spent too long gaining useless skills (I am awful at juggling for instance, can't ride a unicycle, even games I will never play again probably saw me pull it apart in some manner, the dead language I know best is Latin which is kind of useful for a lot of things, most of my knowing random old arcane systems and measurements tends to come in handy eventually as there are loads of people to tell you about what is new but what is old might take some more effort).

Think I have worn a tie all of once (two if you count a clip on bow tie) since I left school vowing never to wear a uniform again. Not sure I even own one these days. Ability to tie a tie then might have to be it.
Interesting reply!

Lying, like I said has gotten me into lots of trouble. Which well, I mean kind of screwed things up for me-

Now that you point it out though, I can see how being able to lie well, can help you point out if others are lying. I personally find it very easy to tell if someone's full of shit. And it's nice to have lying-skills in film, which I am quite fond of!

(Juggling is pretty much a party-trick-only skill, unless you're like a clown or something lol)

I've NEVER worn a tie! I don't really care for looking all spiffy. Sure, I'll dress nice, but I wont go out of my way to purchase a 1000 dollar suit for a wedding. I'll wear some khakis and a nice dress shirt.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TAPPING!!

I LOVE to tap my fingers, hands and feet. I do it all the time, drives my wife nuts. Sometimes, I don’t realize I do it. Especially while driving, when any song comes on, I just start tapping. I’m right-handed and use my index, middle, and ring fingers. I’m really very fast. I can hit accents on any of the 3 fingers. Triplets are no problem. I keep up with slayer, lamb of god, and revelation. I’ve played bass for the last 30+ years and have real strong dexterity in my hands. To “challenge” myself, I’m starting to tap with my left index, middle, and ring fingers. I also used to play the drums for over 10 years, so I hear what hands hit what part of the drum kit. I’ll alternate, leading with my right hand and then switching to lead with my left. All though it sounds funny, its relaxing to me to be in constant motion. I’m starting to be even more conscious of my tapping so that I try not to bug anyone too much. My kids catch me sometimes. They aren’t big fans. Lol

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
TAPPING!!

I LOVE to tap my fingers, hands and feet. I do it all the time, drives my wife nuts. Sometimes, I don’t realize I do it. Especially while driving, when any song comes on, I just start tapping. I’m right-handed and use my index, middle, and ring fingers. I’m really very fast. I can hit accents on any of the 3 fingers. Triplets are no problem. I keep up with slayer, lamb of god, and revelation. I’ve played bass for the last 30+ years and have real strong dexterity in my hands. To “challenge” myself, I’m starting to tap with my left index, middle, and ring fingers. I also used to play the drums for over 10 years, so I hear what hands hit what part of the drum kit. I’ll alternate, leading with my right hand and then switching to lead with my left. All though it sounds funny, its relaxing to me to be in constant motion. I’m starting to be even more conscious of my tapping so that I try not to bug anyone too much. My kids catch me sometimes. They aren’t big fans. Lol
Interesting reply too!

I used to tap my fingers a ton, but I tapped my feet more. (Thankfully, I quit that it seems... Ah, never mind I'm doing it right now.)

I could see why you have this 'skill' though, as bass and drums require good hand motion-abilities and what-not, so it makes sense.

Maybe one day you can make the "Tap Happy Gamers" band. :rofl:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo