Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordStarkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question. I did everything right, did the checksum and confirmed it was right, cleared the DNS's I had, and it rebooted but it stays at a black screen unless I take out the SD card then it boots normally and it says I'm on 9.2. Did I do something wrong? Should I format my SD card?

Last edited by LordStarkiller,

Lazyjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
guys help. i want to downgrade my old regular 3ds europe 9.5 to 9.2. i followed this guide but no luck. when pressing Y on sysupdater i got this error "
'Failed to get CIA file info". any ideas?
The sysupdater version in the OP is supposed to have the highest success rate. It took me more than 20 tries (this is where I stopped counting, may be even 30 or more)

I've got a question. I did everything right, did the checksum and confirmed it was right, cleared the DNS's I had, and it rebooted but it stays at a black screen unless I take out the SD card then it boots normally and it says I'm on 9.2. Did I do something wrong? Should I format my SD card?
I had the same problem, only formating my SD card solved it.

Reactions: takasu27

LordStarkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem, only formating my SD card solved it.
Well my running theory is something on there was making it not work. I had a backup of the files on my SD card before I installed MenuHax which I read makes the booting of sysupdater go smoother. So once I copied over the files from the backup and rebooted my 3DS it worked fine, even had my custom theme though Ironfall no longer worked so it worked BUT I ended up having to sacrifice my homebrew launcher to downgrade. It's not too much of a setback as once my Sky3DS+ comes in I can use an image of Cubic Ninja to do Ninjhax and install rxtools.

Lazyjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well my running theory is something on there was making it not work. I had a backup of the files on my SD card before I installed MenuHax which I read makes the booting of sysupdater go smoother. So once I copied over the files from the backup and rebooted my 3DS it worked fine, even had my custom theme though Ironfall no longer worked so it worked BUT I ended up having to sacrifice my homebrew launcher to downgrade. It's not too much of a setback as once my Sky3DS+ comes in I can use an image of Cubic Ninja to do Ninjhax and install rxtools.
If you downgraded and are now on 9.2 you need neither ninjhax nor Sky3DS. You can install menuhax through browserhax and setup emuNAND with emunand9tool.

Lazyjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How? I tried Browserhax but it's not working.
The O3DS needs additional steps before browserhax can be used:
Before using any of the Old3DS browser exploits, you should do the following:
  1. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option.
  2. Enter the browser again so that savedata can be setup. Then goto directly to the exploit page(this can be the auto page), you can return to Home Menu for scanning the above QR-code for this if you prefer.
  3. Exit the browser so that the current page automatically loads when the browser gets launched again. At this point the only pages in the browser history should be the default 3ds-bookmarks page followed by just the exploit page.
  4. Enter the browser then trigger the haxx as described in the repos linked below(when they don't auto-trigger).
see http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php for more details.

LordStarkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The O3DS needs additional steps before browserhax can be used:
Before using any of the Old3DS browser exploits, you should do the following:
  1. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option.
  2. Enter the browser again so that savedata can be setup. Then goto directly to the exploit page(this can be the auto page), you can return to Home Menu for scanning the above QR-code for this if you prefer.
  3. Exit the browser so that the current page automatically loads when the browser gets launched again. At this point the only pages in the browser history should be the default 3ds-bookmarks page followed by just the exploit page.
  4. Enter the browser then trigger the haxx as described in the repos linked below(when they don't auto-trigger).
see http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php for more details.
What files do I need?

Giever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found and downloaded both o3DS and n3DS downgrade files with the help of the search tip from the OP, but the MD5 hash doesn't match for the n3DS .zip I got (even though it matches the MD5 given by the site I got it from). Is it still safe to use? Is the OP just out of date? The o3DS MD5 still matches, but even if I redownload the n3DS files I doubt it will change anything considering the hash matches the one given on that site.

milkinc23

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I have successfully downgraded from V9.9.0.20 n3ds to v9.2.0.20 USA. First attempt via the safesysupdater, it crashed and bring me a black screen. I was able to load back to the home menu however everything was slow and lagging. I deleted the Nintendo system files in the SD card and didn't work. When I tried to go into settings menu, or browser, it freezes. Tried to do a system update via safe mode -failed because the dns is blocking the updates. I had the oot3dhax and menuhax previously, both didn't work so I suspect the firmware update was 1/2 complete or a semi brick. I have an o3ds and the oot3ds cart and I had a stroke of genius. I redid the oot3dhax for v9.2.0.20 USA instead and load it up and redid the microsd card as well. Okay this time it booted up to HBL, thank god! Redid the safesysupdater, this time round it only installed like only 6 cia and that's it. "System downgraded successful" came out lol! Did a force reboot and everything's good so far!

Lazyjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have successfully downgraded from V9.9.0.20 n3ds to v9.2.0.20 USA. First attempt via the safesysupdater, it crashed and bring me a black screen. I was able to load back to the home menu however everything was slow and lagging. I deleted the Nintendo system files in the SD card and didn't work. When I tried to go into settings menu, or browser, it freezes. Tried to do a system update via safe mode -failed because the dns is blocking the updates. I had the oot3dhax and menuhax previously, both didn't work so I suspect the firmware update was 1/2 complete or a semi brick. I have an o3ds and the oot3ds cart and I had a stroke of genius. I redid the oot3dhax for v9.2.0.20 USA instead and load it up and redid the microsd card as well. Okay this time it booted up to HBL, thank god! Redid the safesysupdater, this time round it only installed like only 6 cia and that's it. "System downgraded successful" came out lol! Did a force reboot and everything's good so far!
Scary story, congrats on saving it.
I think this is another proof that even with the right files the downgrade can fail. The OP should be updated with a warning. Right now it sounds like "you're fine as long as the MD5s are right".
Warning, this may brick your 3DS even if you do everything right!
Something like that.

Last edited by Lazyjones,

Feitan

Trophies
XP
Country

Hi, i think i have he same situation as yours. An incomplete 9.2 downgrade. So you downgraded again with your 9.2 to install the missing CIA's? Some say to update first and then downgrade again. Apprrciate your response. Thanks.

B3DDO3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found and downloaded both o3DS and n3DS downgrade files with the help of the search tip from the OP, but the MD5 hash doesn't match for the n3DS .zip I got (even though it matches the MD5 given by the site I got it from). Is it still safe to use? Is the OP just out of date? The o3DS MD5 still matches, but even if I redownload the n3DS files I doubt it will change anything considering the hash matches the one given on that site.

I am in the same situation, can someone please help with this, do I need to go hunting for another file or is this one I have good the MD5 I am getting (which matches the MD5 on the website I got it) is E6339468A1E82B1D50E9222F017C0477

SSMatt123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
XP
Country
Have the MD5's changed on that site for the firmwares?

I've already downloaded 9.2E off there and almost bricked a N3DSXL trying to downgrade with it. It's saying the MD5 is AAA5960A3061DA1F08D944D8E7017BD6, which is not what you have in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello