Homebrew Side by Side 3D Video

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Half-SBS sure, anything can output that. But what would be the point?
You'd be left with an effective resolution of 320x480 for each eye. It would look awful.
If you really want to, find a 3D movie in Half-SBS format and play it with WiiMC, you'll understand what I mean :P

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Half-SBS sure, anything can output that. But what would be the point?
You'd be left with an effective resolution of 320x480 for each eye. It would look awful.
If you really want to, find a 3D movie in Half-SBS format and play it with WiiMC, you'll understand what I mean :P

I see what you mean but I would still appreciate the option

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I see what you mean but I would still appreciate the option
I don't think it would be possible in games, it would be too heavy on the GPU having to render everything twice.
But sure you can watch Half-SBS movies in WiiMC if you want. You don't need any specific support in the player, it's just your TV that needs to support the format.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it would be possible in games, it would be too heavy on the GPU having to render everything twice.
But sure you can watch Half-SBS movies in WiiMC if you want. You don't need any specific support in the player, it's just your TV that needs to support the format.
I know that you can download and just play SBS video but the option to have WiiMC render in SBS would be cool for 2d-3d video conversion. I have two 2d-3d boxes and right now I'm using anaglyph mode which works well but I'm just curious as to the performance of my boxes if there was a way to force the Wii U to SBS output. I'm trying to avoid daisy-chaining one box into another.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know that you can download and just play SBS video but the option to have WiiMC render in SBS would be cool for 2d-3d video conversion. I have two 2d-3d boxes and right now I'm using anaglyph mode which works well but I'm just curious as to the performance of my boxes if there was a way to force the Wii U to SBS output. I'm trying to avoid daisy-chaining one box into another.
Oh, you want 2D-3D conversion. I don't think there's enough interest in that, since it tends to be pretty crappy. You can't create detail that simply isn't there to begin with, all those converters do is approximate it, but it's a very flawed technology with a bad end result and people don't care much about it for that reason. I guess that's why it's not supported.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, you want 2D-3D conversion. I don't think there's enough interest in that, since it tends to be pretty crappy. You can't create detail that simply isn't there to begin with, all those converters do is approximate it, but it's a very flawed technology with a bad end result and people don't care much about it for that reason. I guess that's why it's not supported.

Yeah. 2d to 3d on a 2d screen isnt exactly the best but I have a blast with it. Just finished playing some Mario Galaxy in anaglyph mode and it was lovely. I do notice that SBS-to-anaglyph on my box creates a nice pop-book effect whilst straight up anaglyph mode add an extra level of depth but not exactly a in your face pop-book.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah. 2d to 3d on a 2d screen isnt exactly the best but I have a blast with it. Just finished playing some Mario Galaxy in anaglyph mode and it was lovely. I do notice that SBS-to-anaglyph on my box creates a nice pop-book effect whilst straight up anaglyph mode add an extra level of depth but not exactly a in your face pop-book.
Oh, that's because SBS is already in 3D so you aren't actually converting 2D to 3D. It wouldn't make any difference if you do the 2D->3D conversion on the Wii itself or on the box.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-